Hosted dinners?

james j feller

Hi,

I read some of BLACKBIRDS posts and he mentioned "hosted dinners" i think i know what that means but what exactly is it and if you want to opt out of it without being rude, say to sit at a table for two how would you go about it?

It's not that we don't want to sit with anyone but if dinner takes 2-3 hours etc. that is too long for me.

What time does the shows start in the evening?

Thank you

JIM

Hi,

I read some of BLACKBIRDS posts and he mentioned "hosted dinners" i think i know what that means but what exactly is it and if you want to opt out of it without being rude, say to sit at a table for two how would you go about it?

It's not that we don't want to sit with anyone but if dinner takes 2-3 hours etc. that is too long for me.

What time does the shows start in the evening?

Thank you

JIM

Its all very simple--for a hosted dinner you will receive--early in the day an invitation on your door to join a Senior Staff member or entertainer for dinner--you will be asked to RSVP to the Purser--if you want to attend say yes--if not say no thanks--it's no big deal. The hosted tables are usually for 10--so it's a little slower, but I have never failed to make the entertainment at 10pm. I have met many interesting people at the hosted dinners we have attended--it's usually a lot of fun. They somehow seem to put together great groups! For a table for two we have found that going to dinner from the Club promptly at 7:30 makes it easy--if that doesn't please you, just let the dinning room staff know you wishes in advance and you will have your table for two. We usually go about 50/50 Hosted and table for two or with other guests we join from cocktails at the Club. Don

Hi James. Just as LaPaloma stated, you may (or may not) get an invitation, left on your cabin door, to dinner at a table hosted by one of the officers or crew (the Entertainment Director, Shore Excursion Director, singers, etc.). You can accept or decline by calling the number on the card (they ask that you RSVP). No problem if you don't choose to do it.

Sailing solo, I was delighted to find Seabourn knew I was a single woman and I had an invitation every night. That just really impressed me, I felt very "included". I loved meeting new people every night, and as I'm not really a club person (I usually turned in after a late dinner, 'cause I'm up early in the mornings), I liked the slower pace of the meals. They usually started, for dinner, at 7:30 or 7:45. As the shows sometimes start at 9 or later, you do have to keep your eye on your watch if you don't want to miss the start of them.

Jane

A couple "hosted table" notes I did not post already. The final night I got to my single table at the back of the restaurant at 7:30. The large hosted table at the rear of the dining room was to sit at 7:45 but before that time, there was a mad dash to add two more seats to the table. By 8:30 as I was finishing my desert I looked over to the hosted table and they had not been served their first course.

The Pursers Desk got a big 4 on my comment card for my cruise. After trying the hosted tables for a couple nights I found they were not for me. I went down to the Purser's Desk and ask not to have any more hosted tables invites sent to my suite. That worked for a couple days but one afternoon as I was taking an afternoon nap my phone started ringing and it was the Purser's Desk wanting to know if I wanted to seat with the Staff Captain, I gave a strong NO and hung up. I hate telemarketers!!!

We also were invited to a "hosted table" at the last minute (6:30 p.m) so we knew we were "fill-ins" but that didn't bother us a bit. Sometimes we said "OK" and sometimes, "No thanks". We still had a great time meeting new people and sometimes "old friends". But I agree with BB that they were often terribly long causing us to miss the show. But after 47 days aboard, mostly that didn't matter!

Jean

It's funny how everyone is different. I would much prefer to have a nice leisurely dinner with good conversation, meeting my fellow passengers and learning about their lives, than to rush to see some tired show of Broadway songs that don't sound anything like Broadway. To me a nice dinner is my evening's entertainment.

I thouroghly love the hosted tables. Although, because usually they are a 10 top, it isn't possible to converse with everyone. I've made some life long friends at those tables. On the evenings that I've made other arrangements, and have been called as a last minute guest, I politely and respectfully decline the invitation.

Host Dan

We were invited early on to a table hosted by the future cruise director. That night we preferred to go to Tastings at 2 (absolutely loved the concept and the dinner we had there)

The next night we were invited to a table hosted by the nurse. That didn't interest us so we turned it down.

The final night we received another hosted table invitation. It was hosted by the Assistant Cruise Director, Preston Coe. We really didn't want to sit at a table for 10 with possibly people we may not have liked to dine with (there were a few on board) but what the heck, it was the final night. Turns out most of the people at that hosted table were Cruise Criticers and a lovely couple from Switzerland. Preston was a very gracious host. We had a great time, a wonderful way to end a wonderful cruise.

Jackie

I count my one experience at a hosted table one of the richer experiences of my life. I have “dined out” on the experience for the past 6 months since our return. I would not want those 3 hours back for love nor money. I would also not ever want to repeat them.

There was not one single stereotype left uninvited at this event. I would regale this board with the specifics, but I don’t know who is reading this. Everyone should be a cast member in a Robert Altman film at some point in their life, and I’ve had mine. It was priceless.

James, if I were you, I would do it ONCE for sheer entertainment value – you owe it to yourself, and your friends back home. And then like Blackbird, simply request that it never happen again.

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone....

Wow, there are some strong feelings about hosted tables - in both directions! 3-17-08 on the Pride will be my first Seabourn cruise. On other cruise lines I have always asked for their largest table. Usually these table are in traditional dining rooms and schedules with the same people. I have made some strong friendships, and being a single traveler, it's an interesting experience for me. I don't know what to expect on Seabourn, but if hosted tables are the large tables, I'll be sure to be there. Jini

I like the table for six on RSSC and they put you together with 5 new people every night. My only problem with Seabourn hosted tables is it is a long dinner.

One other point on hosted table for other people reading this thread. From what I have seen, Seabourn tries to break up married couple so everybody mixes.

LOL, thats how I figured out who the editor@cc was on my cruise. She said that she sat at a hosted table with me and was alone. I played back in my mind the people and couple at the table, until there was only one single lady left. :D

Well my 2 cents worth.....we really enjoyed the Hosted tables.....most of the time. There were only a couple of people in 55 days, that we would have preferred not to have met. As a married couple, we didn't mind being at opposite ends of the table, after all we have dined together for 30 years! We met people from all over the World. If you don't like the person sitting next to you (certainly happened to me once or twice) there is always another person on the other side, or just across from you....so plenty of choices for conversation. Someone mentioned being invited by the nurse, and that didn't interest her......well we had an invitation from the Head Housekeeper and her Assistant.....sort of thought the same way at first, but accepted anyway...it turned out to be a great night, and my husband and I were invited to dine in the crew quarters with her one night....which we would have loved...but unfortunately we ran out of time. If that same Housekeeper is ever on one of our cruises again, I will ask for a repeat invitation! (to the crew quarters)

We did hear one man very loudly comment one day, "I will only accept an invitation to a hosted table, by an Officer of SOME Rank"......what a pompous bore! :rolleyes:

a disappointment for us on our last short cruise is that we were only asked to one hosted dinner out of 7 nights - we really had looked forward to having two or three, Is there some way one can signal that these are events one for which would like to be considered ?

Curiousx,

In the past (not sure if this is current procedure) either one or both Assistant Cruise Directors (ACD) makes up the list of passengers to be seated at each hosted table every night of the cruise. The Maitre d' makes the actual seating arrangements at each table. The Purser's office handles the logistics of invitations and keeping track of the RSVPs.

I would suggest letting the ACDs know of your preference for hosted tables. I hope you have enjoyable experiences at your hosted dinner tables. For me personally, it is one of the highlights of the cruise.

LOL, and then there is the way they put together the tables. From another poster it appears to be a game who goes with who. Another poster started trying to figure out the people at their table. One night it was people from the same tour that day. Another night it was people who's last name started with select characters.

Of the invites I got, the only one I was not interested in was the Spa Manager. BB is not the Spa type person...:D

As to hosted dinner tables~~~now I choose carefully the ones I accept. I've experienced twice, while dining at the Captain's tables, the ceiling fire sprinklers goin' off after the Assn. Maitre'D was a 'bit careless as to his firing up the flambe dessert! It was grrrreat entertainment for the rest of the dining room!! We were all dressed "to the 9's" looking like poor drowned rats!

Once, at Steinar's hosted table, a rather outspoken "lady" leaned into and over the table and flat ask me: "Who Are YOU ANYway???" After the sweet waiter had placed escargot in front of me.....the lady said, "What is THAT? It was NOT on the menu!!"

Get the picture???? (most embarrassing was, I didn't know who I was~~~) Now, many of us have the black/white button pins reading: WHO ARE YOU ANYWAY?

Several times, at hosted tables there have been fuss's and fight's as to silly and ridiculous subjects~~~and the Host Officer could not do one thing~~~~(we try to ignore these heated arguments)

Other evenings the Hosted Officer's tables were soooo much fun!

Especially when the Captain, Staff Captain, etc. would start the festive evening with Aquavit shots!! Then wine, of course.

One time I found myself seated with a Minister and his wife~~~I was the ONLY Guest that accepted his invitation~~~the 3 of us at the very back of the dining room~~~he was extremely "proud of himself"~~~she was a poor down-trodden 'lit lady that had been brain-washed~~~I had to sit there and listen to "the story of his entire life"~~~~and she sat and grinned~~never uttered a sound!

I declined dessert and cappuuccino and took off!

The best dining tables are those that we Guests "put together"~~~

I host many evening's~~favorite is the Sky Grill dinner's~~~party favor's for all! Next cruise, send out your invitations and YOU be the host! Too much fun!

Happy Dining!

Hi there Ms J.,

Absolutely try the hosted dinners. Some people love them (I do) and some people don't. I also like doing what I call 'dining roulette', where you ask for a table of 6 and the Maitre' D then seats the next two couples that want to join someone else. Since it is a smaller table than the 10 hosted, the service is faster, and the Maitre' D (specially if it is the fabulous Marcel!!) is incredible at matching up like personalities for a fun evening.

If you want to sit at a hosted table every night, let the Maitre D know, as well as the Pursers desk, since they are the ones that get the RSVP's and know what tables need filling in. They also appreciate knowing they can call on some guests at the last minute for fill ins. They do try to get all guests invited to at least at one hosted table per cruise.

If you have run into an obnoxious couple that you DON'T want to eat with (occasionally, even Seabourn passengers can be obnoxious, as we just experienced one such 'family' on the crossing), you can also tell them that too.

As Martita said, you can also host your own table for 10, and they will send invites out for you if you have met others onboard you would like to dine with. I did this on a 7 day cruise where we were told by our travel agents we would have 2 formal nights, but found there was only one scheduled once we got onboard. Since we all brought 2 formals, the Captain and chef OK'd it for us to get the 'walla' and the heavenly bon bons that are usually served only on formal nights. For anything special like that - they do need at least 24 hours notice, if not more.

You will find the staff on Seabourn does their best to say yes to all requests (within reason!)

Seabourn Girl

Ah, Kate!! Don't know 'who' you are or what cruise you're speaking of, but boy - do I ever wish we could 'do' lunch and dish! Would love to hear every last detail - sounds like a hoot!

BB: And here I thought I was alone in the world....how nice to know I'm not the only soul who can do w/o the spa experience!

Archived