Rum Point Or 7mile????

beachbev

Should I take the Reef, Rays, Rum Point excursion? If we do, I may not have time to go to 7 mile beach.

Or just do the StingRays & go to 7 mile beach? I have 2 teenagers & 2 kids ages 7 & 10.

Is 7 Mile Beach a special beach that we don't want to miss? Thanks for input.

Rum Point has a few resorts and restarants, and many palm trees on the beach. It is on the north-east end of the island that is close by water to Stingray City. By land, it is about a 45-minute to one-hour drive from the 7MB.

Rum Point has a few resorts and restarants, and many palm trees on the beach.

Minor correction...Rum Point has one bar on the beach that serves lunch and snacks. (I've been there dozens of times and I've never seen the "real" restaurant open.) There is also a gift shop and a dive shop that also does watersports rentals. There are lounge chairs and hammocks. While there are numerous palm trees, the rest of the trees in the area are mainly casuarina (sp?) trees, so there can be a lot of pine-type needles on the beach.

The resorts in the area are all vacation condos, usually rented by the week or month if they're rented out by the owners, so there are very few of the hotel-type resort facilities that you would find on Seven Mile Beach.

Pretty much on point, bookbabe.

There is no hotel particularly close to Rum Point. There are many vacation homes and condos for rent in the area.

Rum Point has two eating establishments. The Wreck Bar is open for lunch. The Rum Point Restaurant was only ever open for dinner, but has been closed since the big hurricane of September 2004.

In describing the location of Rum Point, a map is the way to go.

All of Grand Cayman

http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm

Rum Point is in box #120 (look for the dock)

http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/ArcIMS/AtlasPages/gcpage120.pdf

Seven Mile Beach runs from box #23 north to box #11

Pretty much on point, bookbabe.

Thanks...but I have to admit that it's not really that amazing of an accomplishment. :D Although my location says snowy Toronto, my heart is in Cayman Kai. My FIL is in the process of building a house there, so we've spent a fair bit of time at Rum Point. We were there last week, in fact, and I'm already suffering from withdrawl. (Although, I have to brag that the beach at his property is even better than the one at Rum Point, and there won't be any casuarinas to wreck the softness of the sand.)

My DH and I first visited Grand Cayman on our honeymoon, on the Carnival Destiny just over 10 years ago. We visited the obligatory Stingray City and Seven Mile Beach, and fell in love with the island. We've visited I don't know how many times now, and each time we find more to like about the island. A couple of years ago, we dragged my FIL with us, and rented one of the Cayman Kai homes...and it was Rum Point that immediately hooked him on the island too. Well, Rum Point and the Kaibo...he's a beach bar kind of guy. ;)

I can't blame him. There's something so utterly perfect about relaxing in a hammock on the beach with your beverage of choice, watching the waves...and Rum Point is so much better for that than Seven Mile Beach. Although Seven Mile (IMO) has a nicer stretch of pure soft sand, it's a bit more crowded and commercial, whereas Rum Point has still got that laid-back island feeling. I'd rather be on either beach, though, instead of here at work...

We did the Rays Reef and Rum Point tour a week ago today. It was the highlight of our cruise! We've been to some beautiful beaches in Hawaii and the Caribbean and we all agreed this was the prettiest spot on earth. My 12 and 16 year old daughters enjoyed the hammocks and beach so much, they were ready to move there.

Nice job....picking a FIL!

You betcha... :D He also has season tickets for the Leafs...

Between hockey and beach time, he's got it covered. It's an added benefit that the DH is also a great catch, even without his dad. :D It's a tough life, but someone has to live it... ;)

You betcha... :D He also has season tickets for the Leafs...

Between hockey and beach time, he's got it covered. It's an added benefit that the DH is also a great catch, even without his dad. :D It's a tough life, but someone has to live it... ;)

We were there last week too...on Friday. Were you around when it downpoured? We were on wave runners...stopped at Rum Point for a short time. It would be fun to meet you...do you have an upcoming cruise planned?

We were there last week too...on Friday. Were you around when it downpoured? We were on wave runners...stopped at Rum Point for a short time. It would be fun to meet you...do you have an upcoming cruise planned?

Oh, yeah...were we ever! We were on our way back to the Rum Point area by boat from Stingray City when it started to rain. Were you at Rum Point already by then? Or were you out on the water? (We saw a group of people on waverunners at Stingray City...that wasn't you by any chance?) We had to go about the last 10-15 minutes in to shore in the downpour, and since we were in a relatively open boat it wasn't fun.

No cruises planned for the near future, unfortunately. Couple of Cayman trips, though...we'll probably head down around the end of August, and we'll definitely be there between Christmas and New Years. If you can't be on a cruise ship, then Grand Cayman is a good place to be. :D

Oh, yeah...were we ever! We were on our way back to the Rum Point area by boat from Stingray City when it started to rain. Were you at Rum Point already by then? Or were you out on the water? (We saw a group of people on waverunners at Stingray City...that wasn't you by any chance?) We had to go about the last 10-15 minutes in to shore in the downpour, and since we were in a relatively open boat it wasn't fun.

No cruises planned for the near future, unfortunately. Couple of Cayman trips, though...we'll probably head down around the end of August, and we'll definitely be there between Christmas and New Years. If you can't be on a cruise ship, then Grand Cayman is a good place to be. :D

We were just leaving Rum Point when it started to downpour....we were on the water headed back towards Sting Ray City (5 waverunners)...to the resort. It was hysterical! We had so much fun.

We were at Sting Ray City about 1/2 hour before the rain....might have been us

Probably was, then...we were there quite a while, since we were in our own boat and not on a tour. I like visiting that way...we can take our time and there's no pressure to hurry. And, it's amazing how much love you can buy with a couple of bucks worth of frozen squid from the supermarket... :D We left just as it was starting to sprinkle, and the downpour caught us shortly after, about 10 minutes from shore. I can't imagine riding the waverunners in that type of rain...visibility wasn't the best, that's for sure.

We're hoping to take waverunners out to Stingray City once we have them on the island. How long did it take you to get from Stingray City to Rum Point via waverunner? Were you on the Reef/Rum/Rays excursion? Or a similar tour?

Probably was, then...we were there quite a while, since we were in our own boat and not on a tour. I like visiting that way...we can take our time and there's no pressure to hurry. And, it's amazing how much love you can buy with a couple of bucks worth of frozen squid from the supermarket... :D We left just as it was starting to sprinkle, and the downpour caught us shortly after, about 10 minutes from shore. I can't imagine riding the waverunners in that type of rain...visibility wasn't the best, that's for sure.

We're hoping to take waverunners out to Stingray City once we have them on the island. How long did it take you to get from Stingray City to Rum Point via waverunner? Were you on the Reef/Rum/Rays excursion? Or a similar tour?

We booked through Island Marketing...met at Grand Caymanian Resort. I'm thinking it took 15-20 minutes to get to Rum Point....best mudslide ever!!! It was raining so hard and water getting in my eyes, but after awhile for some reason I could see fine. I was laughing so hard...you will have lots of fun with waverunners.

We did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point Excursion through a private company called Nativeway and saved alot of money. It was beautiful. Our boat only had 6 people on it so it was kinda like a family get together. The guide was great and new us all by name by the end of the excursion. We started off at the reef were we snorkled for a couple of hours or so. While there our guide did a dive and brought up a Conch. He opened the shell and we had raw conch right there on the ship. It was sweet tasting. After that we went to swim with the Rays wich were about the size of a doormat. Again it was great because like I said our boat wasn't crowded at all and we all had plenty of time to feed the rays. While there he took our order for lunch and call ahead to Rum Point. When we got there our lunch was ready to eat. We ate and plaid on the beautiful beach for a while before the boat took us back to the other side of the island. I highly recomend Nativeway as an excursion option. However, I've heard there are several good companies that offer this excursion for cheaper than what the ships offer. If you are interested you can look at the web-site. I think it's www.nativeway.com. Hope this helps!

Just got back from Grand Caymen, went to the 7 mile beach which was packed the entire 7 miles due to 5 ships there at the same time, It was nice and clean but nothing to write home about. I wont ever go again during spring break too many wild party kids out there that didnt seem to have any respect for anyone. I didnt get to see anything else, Would of loved to do the sting ray excursion but had a sick(virus) person with us. More reason to go back and try it again! Shops were great though, some good deals and some not so god deals. Enjoy your trip!

Archived