Mediterranean Land Excusion with kids

We wanted to do the med. cruise for a long time - we are finally doing it next year with DD (a teen)

We elected not to take those kinds of vacations until she was old enough to apppreciate the experience. Not only won't they remember most of what they are seeing, but you will not get to really see and do what you want to.

The day is long and tiring for most adults I can't imagine taking a small child.

Sorry - I know it's not the answer you want.

We are taking the kids to the mediterranean next summer -they'll be 9 and 5 and my nieces will be 10 and 8. I think it is invaluable to expose kids to other cultures. My kids have been to multiple different countries and I think it has given them a different perspective on the world from their friends. It is true that they will not get as much as adults out of some museums and sites, but they will soak up some of the things that we as adults miss. It still amazes me what they remember from trips we took a few years ago and whenever they hear those countries names in school or in the news they become very interested and pay much closer attention than they would have if they had never been there. In my mind, if you can afford to take them and have realistic expectations about what they are capable of doing, it is worth it.

We sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas in 2005 with our son and daughter. We arranged private excursions with a car and guide at the stops for Nice, Florence, Naples and Rome. We found having the freedom to adjust the schedule, and accommodate their needs made the trip enjoyable for all. In the end, the private tours were not much more expensive than the ship tours for all 4 of us, though it consumed a lot of time pre-departure to make all the arrangements.

More details described in our review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12362

Thanks

Thanks guys! I have pretty much decided private tours or ports onour own are the way to go. Don't want to be stuck on a bus with cranky kid, not fair to us, him, or the others. I agree with you sunnydreams, 5 is young, but I think it is never too early to start exposure. We have never taken him with us before, no way I was dealing with an infant on diapers on vacation! But he will be a little older now and my parents are going with us so at 4 adults to 1 young child we might be able to handle him!

Dear TeacherKim,

Please advise what ports you are visiting on your Med Cruise. Some of the Med ports have a town and/ or nice sights within a short walk or taxi ride of the ship, so for some it may not be necessary to arrange a private tour. Private tours are wonderful and a great idea, but they are costly. Also, don't forget to to bring your own car seat/booster for the 2 year old.

Archived