Help with NYC hotel for 3

This June will be our second time to New York for a cruise--this time on the Crown Princess, and the hardest thing to get was a good hotel for a decent price. Last time we were there we got a "special" at the Shelburne Murray Hill suites and it was nice. About 150. a night for a one bedroom suite with a mini kitchen. We don't have to have a kitchen though. When I checked the prices there today they were really high. I know NYC is more expensive than most cities but does anyone have any hidden secrets or good suggestions for ways to get a good price? Since there are three of us (the teen will be coming with), we need two beds and prefer a king and sleeper sofa if we have our "druthers". This limits many hotels since so many rooms in NY are basically for only 2 people I discovered. Any advice on getting good rates or those unadvertised specials? We need a room for 2 nights before our cruise. Someone out there have some tips???

For our August cruise, we got a good deal on Priceline and ended up w/ the Marriott in Broolyn for $150. A couple of miles to the pier and it is just a quick subway or cab ride to Manhattan.

You can always ask for a roll away cot in the room.

I can agree, but as stated the hotel is in Brooklyn. Having stayed there before I can assure you that the rooms are big enough. :) It is also much cheaper getting to the pier.

Checked the Embassy suite for our dates. The cheapest rate was 529-800 per night. Over 1100-1800 for 2 nights is outrageous. It costs more than the 9 day cruise we will be on for one person! I did about 60 hours of research for our last cruise and just don't have it in me to do that much again! I will visit that homeport page you mentioned. I just thought someone would have one of those well kept secrets that I hear about! I have checked the 100 or so obvious chains and well advertised hotels.

I used priceline for several cities like DC but was highly advised not to use it for NYC since many hotels that I could "win" will only accomodate two people and they will not take three. If I got one of those I would have wasted my money. So priceline is not an option when there are three of us. We use biddingfor travel when using priceline since they have such good information on bidding strategies but not for NYC unfortunately.

http://www.vrbo.com/104092

http://www.vrbo.com/52524

http://www.vrbo.com/111752

http://www.vrbo.com/36711

http://www.vrbo.com/117050

http://www.vrbo.com/118651

http://www.vrbo.com/114408

OK, first of all, I know absolutely nothing about these places. However, the prices are right, that's for sure. I have not used VRBO for Manhattan, but have used them many times for beach rentals in NC, DE, VA and MD.

There are many more Manhattan rentals available at this site.

Good luck. ;)

Checked the Embassy suite for our dates. The cheapest rate was 529-800 per night. Over 1100-1800 for 2 nights is outrageous. It costs more than the 9 day cruise we will be on for one person! I did about 60 hours of research for our last cruise and just don't have it in me to do that much again! I will visit that homeport page you mentioned. I just thought someone would have one of those well kept secrets that I hear about! I have checked the 100 or so obvious chains and well advertised hotels.

I totally feel your "pain". We travel a LOT and NYC has been the biggest nightmare of all to try and find accommodations that arent ridiculously overpriced. There are five of us which made it even harder since the hotel rooms are so tiny. In my weeks of research, we finally found a place called Radio City Apartments which gets GLOWING reports on all the "review" websites like TripAdvisor. It is centrally located near Times Square and the subway. http://www.radiocityapartments.com.

I wish you luck. It's not easy!

We stayed at Radio City Apartments last Oct. The glowing reports sort of exagerate...the rooms are really small, and I can't see where 3 people can stay, except in the deluxe rooms, which cost a bit more. The "kitchen" area is just a small cooktop and is about 18"x18". It is in a good location though, and if the price is right, go for it.

I originally wanted the Edison, but they were full.

Don't forget....the New Jersey Hotels are right across the bridge.

You can get to Manhattan or the pier quicker from some of those than you can from the NYC ones!

What you save in hotel costs would be lots more than what you will have to pay for transportation to the port.

Just a thought....

:)

This June will be our second time to New York for a cruise--this time on the Crown Princess, and the hardest thing to get was a good hotel for a decent price. Last time we were there we got a "special" at the Shelburne Murray Hill suites and it was nice. About 150. a night for a one bedroom suite with a mini kitchen. We don't have to have a kitchen though. When I checked the prices there today they were really high. I know NYC is more expensive than most cities but does anyone have any hidden secrets or good suggestions for ways to get a good price? Since there are three of us (the teen will be coming with), we need two beds and prefer a king and sleeper sofa if we have our "druthers". This limits many hotels since so many rooms in NY are basically for only 2 people I discovered. Any advice on getting good rates or those unadvertised specials? We need a room for 2 nights before our cruise. Someone out there have some tips???

Coming to NY? You will be near my office if you stay at the Shelburne, Murray Hill. Didn't you stay there last Trip? If I recall Rob and Angela stayed at Radio City Apartments. Did you try them? You have my e-mail, let me hear from you.

Barbara

We stayed at Radio City Apartments last Oct. The glowing reports sort of exagerate...the rooms are really small, and I can't see where 3 people can stay, except in the deluxe rooms, which cost a bit more. The "kitchen" area is just a small cooktop and is about 18"x18". It is in a good location though, and if the price is right, go for it.

I originally wanted the Edison, but they were full.

We are a family of five and staying at Radio City late July. We have a 1 or 2 bedroom room that has enough beds for all of us so hopefully it will be big enough. How far was the walk to Central Park? Was the hotel clean??

If anyone knows of a hotel that can accommodate all five of us, please let me know. I've been searching for weeks with very little luck. We know Embassy Suites can take all five of us but their rates are WAY too high right now and they arent very centrally located. We wanted to be able to walk as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Coming to NY? You will be near my office if you stay at the Shelburne, Murray Hill. Didn't you stay there last Trip? If I recall Rob and Angela stayed at Radio City Apartments. Did you try them? You have my e-mail, let me hear from you.

Barbara

Yes we did stay there last year but prices way more this year--at least for now. I will email you!!

Well Radio City Apts. have no vacancy. The search continues...

Did you try straight from their own website? If you try at Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc....it always says there is no vacancy. You can only book from their website.

You might try the Kimberly. Don't know if you could get a decent rate then but the rooms have kitchens and they have 1 bedroom suites - the sofa makes into a bed.

Excellent suggestion as far as a 1-bedroom suite...but, running $366 a night right now for our dates. YIKES! I'll keep my eye out for specials.

Please keep those suggestions coming for 1-bedroom suites!!!!

In March, our family (yes, we have the teenager too) drove from Toronto for a Norwegian Spirit cruise. Like you, we researched NY hotels and found them to be almost as expensive as our cruise for 3! We stayed in Jersey City at the Doubletree Suites (great hotel, great location...right on the Hudson River, large rooms with King bed and double sofa bed) for the night before the cruise. The PATH (train) station was a short walk away and we were in Manhattan 10 minutes later for $1.50 each. The hotel cost about $250 (Canadian) for the night. The next day we just drove through the Holland tunnel to the Manhattan pier.

This summer we're on the QM2 in August and when we priced the Jersey City Doubletree Suites again (for 2 nights this time) the price was going to be $750!! We searched again and found the Sheraton Suites-on-the Hudson (in Weehawken...3 miles from the Doubletree) for nearly half that price. It has a ferry station adjacent to the hotel property and we'll enjoy taking that to get into Manhattan this time. Since we're driving again, we'll just drive to the Brooklyn pier.

If you're driving, staying in New Jersey is an excellent option. If you're flying it could be a very expensive ride from there to your pier!

Archived