Seabourn "Caldera" & general cruise Questions

Jaffa

Hi there

Does Seabourn offer any other hotel property's in Caldera/San Jose other than the Marriot? If not, what would you recommend in the luxury cat. I have booked & deposited mum and dad on the Legend for 28 nights from Dec 5th departing Caldera.

This will be the first time out of Australia for mum and dad and i'm very keen to make this "special" once in a lifetime trip Amazing, They are both active and well and in there late 60's and have never traveled or cruised before, except for some domestic travel.

I suprised mum and dad with the news last week and now they are both hugely excited and a little apprehensive at the same time.

It's time for mum once in her life to be a princess.

Also, Seabourn does not do an Air Package out of Australia.

Can l book a Seabourn air package from a USA Gateway eg: New York to San Jose?? to meet the cruise and can l book one for the end of the cruise from FLL to San Francisco ??

The web site only refers to "return tickets" from the same gateway.

Is it better to go through Seabourn for this or do it seperatley??

I have bought 2 RTW F tickets for them on Singapore air and to get the most from them have added to the trip, so they will fly from Syd to Sin 3 days to Paris 3 days then the train to Geneva, Zurich, over the Alps to Stutgart then Frankfurt 2 nights then New York 3 nights

Now l need to get them from New York to San Jose which l cannot do on the Singapore ticket I also need accomodation on the 4th of December. Then the cruise.

Now l have to get them from FLL to San francisco on the 2nd of January ??

See my problem?? I know that all the flights don't have first seats but l am worried about their luggage so this adds to my dilema.

They will need First seats mainly for the extra luggage the lounges and the extra airline help for peace of mind.

San Francisco 3 nights, singapore 1 night then Sydney and home.

I have booked transfers for all the international flights but not for the cruise bits yet.

I take it there will be 8 formal nights 4 casual and 16 informal.

Also this is a Christmas, New Year cruise so l was wondering if seabourn does anything special on Christmas Eve and day and on New Years Eve and Day.

Do they decorate? and have parties, formal Chritmas dinner ect,

Will mum and dad feel out of place considering their age and lack of travel experience. They are both working class people who have slaved for their family their whole life.

Thats why l have picked Seaborn, for the intimacy and service and the all inclusive nature so they don't have to worry about anything and can be fussed over which will be very new for my mum. They would not have experienced anything like this trip in their whole life.

It would not suprise me in the least if she gets up and makes the bed in the morning and helps clear the dishes from the table after dinner.

I just want this trip to be perfect for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin..................................

What a wonferful young man you are! Lucky Mum and Dad! In their sixties..they will be in the largest number of cruisers. That age sector is prominent on the ship. They will have the time of their lives. We enjoyed the Marriot which is in San Jose...if they are on the pre-trip..this includes the ride to Caldera to board SB. It is a bit of a drive..but a guide describes the locale as you travel..it was interesting. Take them shopping for their travel duds if you want to make it even more special. Tell them to always ask questions if they don't know what to expect...everyone is very helpful. They will find plenty of space for their belongings in the very nice SB suite. Too bad that you can't join them...that would really be special. We are in our seventies, and have taken or 40 year old daughter with us two times. She loved it...She fell in love with the elderly people on the ship..and totally enjoyed the crew and staff. The most worrisome part of the trip will be the air terminals if they are not traveled..again, have them ask questions, again and again if necessary. We have traveled forever, but I do hate the terminals. Lola

Upon reading your note again...it seems that you are booking the Marriott yourself..i would do that as a precruise through SB..that way they are seen to all the way to the ship. I wonder if you might want SB to book the air from NYC as well. Just know this, NYC is very busy this time of the year...and the weather iffy. There are not a lot of flight options to Caldera..one is through Atlanta...and another way is through Houston, Texas. Do you have an Amer Express Platininum card?? If so, I would let their Air Agents work on this for you. The first class on these flights will be only adequate...certainly not like the wonderful Singapore Air. With the varied schedule you have them on in Europe, they will be seasoned travelers by the time they hit the USA..ha! I also would advise that they take as little as possible...ie..the types of clothing that they can roll into small parcels..so that they can take some as carry on. With all the traveling they will be doing..getting their luggage each time, as you know is not easy. They must be advised also, that all liquid..ie makeup...shaving gels..etc..must be in a 1 qt. Ziplog baggie...they cannot be over 3 oz. each..but can fit as many as the like in this bag. They each can have one. If the the articles are checked, not a problem. Lola

>"Also this is a Christmas, New Year cruise so l was wondering if seabourn does anything special on Christmas Eve and day and on New Years Eve and Day. Do they decorate? and have parties, formal Chritmas dinner ect,..."

I have not sailed during Christmas, but disembarked in Ft Lauderdale when the crews that do the decoration were coming on laden with lovely boughs of holly and the like were being brought aboard; and they were decking the halls.

If you can search through all of Martita's January posts, she recounts some of the activities this past Christmas on the Pride.You could also use the 'Christmas' as a search word. I am quite sure they are similar to the Legend. You might find a Santa's cap foryour father to wear during the festivities and or some red and green accessories for your mother.

One thing to know is that no one really remembers what we wear, so lots of mix and match will help with wardrobe planning. The laundry/cleaning service is also very good.

I can't help with the other information except that I just did a similar itinerary in January, and it is wonderful .I should think you can get the Seabourn Service from NYC too I know the customer relations desk at Seabourn will be very helpful if you email them.

And, don't forget, most of us are working class and consider Seabourn a once in a lifetime experience. Then, we want more and have to work even harder!!!

Jane

Thankyou both for your quick responces,

Lapoloma, I would love to join them, lol but now l have to pay for the trip, l have saved for about 4 years now to make it happen and am 80% there so l will be with them in spirit smiling as l check out their days itin each morning and wondering what they will be getting up to.

I was lucky enough to cruise silversea for 8 weeks in 2005 from Argentina to Port Louis Mauritius. I would be back tommorow if l could but, l really wanted a great trip for mum and dad so made the sacrifice. No more for me till l make this happen.

I will take your advice and book the seabourn Marriot pre-cruise night and transfers to the ship.

Because mum and dad are aussie citizens l was worried they could not take the air package seaborn told my travel agent no air was available, but l don't know how my TA asked, she may have made it seem from Australia and not the USA gateways.

I will recheck.

Could l also use a seabourn air package at the end of the cruise from fll to San Francisco??

JaneBp,

Thanyou for that advice, l will have a search for "christmas" and see what l find. I have tried to settle her with the wardrobe thing but she is planning way ahead of me already and it's only been a week.

It's going to be cold in Paris and Frankfurt, New York and San francisco so dad is taking a tux and a dark suit plus 3 sports jackets. Mum will mix and match but she is shoping for evening wear for the formals.

I have booked Singapore Air's special assistance for each arrival destination to help with their getting through the systems and baggage help. being first class should also help them a lot as well l would imagine. But l cannot see them being able to survive 7 weeks on this itin with only one bag each in a northern winter, they have never seen snow before and they are from the tropics.

I have been trying to talk them into registering for cruise critic and comming to the seabourn board but computer's are still a little daunting for mum and dads just getting the hang of it.

But l will keep trying.......

I decided on Seabourn because l am led to believe its a little less formal than silversea also the cruise itself will be a little more laid back than silversea. I ruled out Crystal because of their poor enviromental record and split dinning. RSSC did not have a decent itin for the timeframe.

Thankyou both

Jaffa,

One other suggestion since you have your parents traveling a lot before and after the cruise, is to ship their luggage to the ship ahead of time. That way they will only need a small case pre and post cruise which they might even be able to carry on. It eliminates worrying about large suitcases and wondering if the luggage will make it every step of the way. You can check with Seabourn Valet Service to see if this is feasible from Australia.

Jaffa...I think Seabourn could also handle the flights home for you. Knowing, that you are giving up vacations for yourself makes that even more special. I would like to meet you and give you a hug...you are obviously very special. As for the formality...it is actually very similar on SB to Silversea....the BIG difference....the crew and staff on SB are very loving..and attentive. They bend over backwards to make the trip special. My guess is that your parents will want to adopt some of them and bring them home to meet you! Silversea personnel are much more aloof for some strange reason. When you travel again...be certain to make it SB...you will be amazed at how special you are treated...and will only then realize how perfect your choice is for your wonderful parents. On the Christmas decor...I have seen pictures and they really go all out. If you will go to Google...Capt. Geir-Arne's Photo gallery...you will see some pictures of a cruise last Christmas. Lola

Jaffa--Since others are addressing some of your questions, I'll only tell you about the holidays. Seabourn really decorates in style and taste for Christmas. There will be special entertainments, carol singing, and services, to say nothing of the yummy menus. Tell Mum to plan on either black or white for New Year's Eve (usually a formal night); I'm sure Dad will be able to fit into that color scheme. Parties for both Eves are very exciting and great fun. I'm drooling remembering my Christmas/New Years cruise on Pride two years ago; you may have whetted my appetite for this year! Perhaps you want to adopt another Mum???

I did a little searching on the computer for flights for your folks. I checked Expedia , Travelocity, and Delta Airlines. Your parents will have to make a connection on both flights (NYC--San Jose and Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco) on all airlines!. Delta Airlines comes up with the best deal-- two fares $1100 and $1300 per person FC depending on departure time. The Delta connection is in Atlanta--a pretty easy airport for beginners. The connecting times are not bad. One of the flights that I found that looked good to me was: NYC (LGA) to SJO 2:00pm departure arrive 9:45pm. 2 hour 16 minute connection in Atlanta. A few weeks ago we flew into San Jose and arrived at 9:45pm--we were on the pre-cruise program--we were met as we cleared immigration with a man with a sign with our name on it--for a quick limo ride to the Marriott. The Flight from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) leaves at 205p and arrives in San Francisco at 7:53pm. Any earlier departure would be tough--The FLL airport is busy on cruise day. The connecting time in Atlanta is 1 hour 47 minutes(comfortable). The Delta Business/First Class lounges in Atlanta are handy and nice. If you check Delta Airlines on your computer, you can check the info I gave you and get Flight Numbers! Also the Delta lounge in FLL is a necessity on cruise day! Don

What a wonderful person you are for treating your parents to this “trip of a lifetime”. I know, I know…you will say it’s because they deserve it, and I know they do, but you are so special to be doing all this planning to make this as effortless for them as possible…so give yourself credit. They are lucky to have your as a daughter.

I’ve been on one Seaborne cruise, and will be embarking the Legend the day your parents are debarking. While I can’t give you any assistance with the planning issues of your parents’ trip…I can say this:

Your parents will absolutely adore the staff and crew. And I have a feeling that the staff and crew will return the compliment. They will do everything within their power to make sure your parents are happy! I can just see your mother now, trying to figure out how to fit her room stewardess into her luggage to take her home! LaPaloma was right-on in her assessment. I hope your mom will be able to relax enough to really let the staff pamper her – to the degree that they would like to. When you are used to “doing for others” your entire life…that is a surprisingly hard thing to learn to do. I found the constant rushing to open the door particularly un-nerving, as I am 45 and completely able. Normally, I’d have some concern about the “end of contract” phenomenon that occurs the last two weeks of the year, as staff experience homesickness for family over the holidays, or prepare to take a break to go home, or to join another ship – but your parents will have been on long enough beforehand to have cemented relationships before this occurs. I think you made a good choice with Seaborne, because of the personal attention from the crew they are bound to receive. It should make their trip less intimidating.

As far as the other passengers are concerned, on our Med cruise this past summer, we met some real characters… and I mean that so NOT in a good way. I’ve never seen so many self-obsessed, one-dimensional people in one space in my life. We are still in contact with folks we met on other cruise lines years afterwards. This was not the case on Seaborne.

I will say this – the other pax notwithstanding, we are Seaborne Sailors for life. The intimacy and service on a ship with 200 pax just cannot not to be duplicated anywhere else, and we count the days until January 2nd.

I hope you are able to step back enough from the planning to really enjoy the experience of planning and giving back to those you love. You are, again, a pretty special daughter.

I think Jaffa is a "son" not "daughter"? well whatever he or she is, I have the perfect solution......I could go with your parents as "guardian"...just adopt me as a "Granny"!!

I actually did offer to do dishes etc...if they would only let me stay on board after our cruise......no such luck...they kicked me off anyway! :( I'm sure your parents will love the cruise and the rest of the trip Jaffa...but would feel more comfortable if I went with them......have recently been to Singapore so could show them around there easily......and as Paris is my favourite City.....know all the places to take them there.......I'm traveling around Oz at this moment, but will probably be heading home via Townsville later in the year....just in time eh!

Wow! thankyou everyone for your feedback

LaPaloma,

Yes l did go ahead and book the pre hotel package and it's all confirmed. I have also asked for a quote on the air package JFK return and Miami to SFO to see which would be the best option and which one they would do??

Will let you know when l hear back.

I am also checking out those flights you suggested in case it ends up being a no go with Seabourn. Thankyou for that!

Kate-AHF,

You made me laugh, GrannyLorr is right! I am the son not the Daughter, if you were right I am a "very" ugly woman Lol Hee he!!

GrannyLor,

Thanks for the offer! But l don't think mum would share dad with anyone (:-))

But if she needs any help l will give you a call!!

Question?

Can anyone tell me about suite 125, thats the allocation they have been given. Now l know they are all the same except for the top suites but its more about location, that suite seems to be below the resteraunt, any noise issues?? or other problems?

Is it better for them to pre book the booze for the suite or do it onboard.

Does anyone know if anyone else is on this cruise from the boards.

Where is somewhere nice for them to stay in New York, Something American and something, because of the weather, that is close to things to see, get around reasonably easily. Top service with a good concierge and good views.

5 star preferably.

Thanks for now,

Colin.......................................

I think 125 would be a good location--restaurant no problem--I have never heard of noise problems from the restaurant. You order the booze for the suite when you get your pre-register for the cruise--you will get the pre-register form a couple months before departure. You can preview the form by going on the Seabourn website and hit--Already Booked, and bring up the form. The Miami Airport is probably 40 to 50 minutes from the docks--FLL is about 15 minutes--we call Miami our "3rd World Airport"--lots of flights and people--a little more difficult to handle than FLL--but doable if necessary! As far as New York hotels--I have tried many of them, but I'm about 20 years out of date--a lot of new ones have opened since I quit spending a lot of time there--I'm sure someone can help you with this! Don

I think 125 is a great spot, equidistant to both elevators/stairways. I have stayed over the restaurant and never heard anything. This is not a loud crowd nor is there loud music played. Also it's the deck with the laundry if that's important.

Here is a recent listing from another BB about luxury hotels in NYC:

Ritz Carlton Central Park - $675

Mandarin Oriental - $629

Trump - $600

Four Seasons New York - $595

Peninsula - $570

Lowell - $550

Carlyle - $500

Pierre - $410

Ritz Carlton Battery Park - $345

My favorite hotel, the Stanhope, is now going condo; so I cannot recommend any. I didn't check which Seabourn uses. The Battery Park RC is downtown, and a long cab ride from the center of things. There is also a Marriot at Times Square which is a fun location, albeit a huge hotel. The St Regis is well-located on 5th Avenue and I have always found it very nice. But perhaps it's no longer a hotel.

If they still have their winter clothes, then a blustery trip on the Circle Line around Manhattan is always a winner IMHO.

I checked the Roll Call feature on CC and found one cruiser listed for the Legend in December. A bit closer (i.e when the final payment is made) you might post a roll call here and possibly get some replies. Again, many who read never post, so there may be others to meet onboard.

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

Colin,

You will never hear any noise from the restaurant in 125. Do not worry.

As for New York hotels, the three best imo right now are The Four Seasons on 57th St, the Mandarin Oriental on Columbus Circle and the Ritz Carlton on Central Park South and Sixth Avenue. All three offer great service, wonderful locations and beautiful rooms. For an extra special treat, especially in the Mandarin Oriental or the Ritz Carlton make sure you book a room high up with a Central Park view.

Hi Jaffa,

I just wanted to let you know that Continental has a non-stop from Newark, New Jersey, to San Jose. We live in New York City and often fly out of Newark, which is much closer to Manhattan than JFK. It is also easier to navigate than JFK.

Your parents will love Seabourn.

Colin...your parents will be onboard when we board the ship in FLL! We will be on from Dec. 19 - Jan 2. We're book in 134. We'd love to meet them.

We have some wonderful friends from oz and would love to meet more. We're a multi-generation couple - I'm 60 my DH is 88. We may be too old or too young for your parents, but I'm guessing we'd like them!

Hello!

Jaffa, I live in Albury in NSW, and I will be on part of the cruise that your parents are on I belive. Ours starts in Fort Lauderdale on the 19th of December on Seabourn Legend, and ends on the 16th Jan in Caldera (28 days of pure BLISS!!)

I am British and live in Australia, my folks are flying from London to Miami, then boarding Legend and cruising to Caldera. I am also flying from Albury to Sydney to Los Angeles to Miami (I am going to need a cruise after that journey!) however continuing around the world as it works out CHEAPER than getting a return to the states.

I can't wait for this cruise, I have been on Sebourn 3 times so far, and this is a special treat for my mum who turns 60 this year. She and I are being treated my grandma who is 87 this year and is also joining us......

I really can't wait for the Christmas celebrations, we have done many cruises over christmas and new year, but recently they haven't been as good as they have in the past. I do hope to find some younger company (although never had a problem sitting and chatting to anyone!) and it's a shame that your not going to be with them.

I am here online to read posts about Caldera as I have never been to Central America. I am looking for a company to transport us from Caldera to San Jose for the airport. Someone pointed me to Jaguar transportation, but every time I send them an email, they don't respond!

Looking forward to meeting the people on here going on that cruise!

James

James--I would give serious consideration to the pre-cruise hotel program offered by Seabourn--the Hotel is great, and all transfers are included. The trip from San Jose to Caldera takes about 2 hours on fairly good two lane roads--we felt very comfortable in Seabourn's hands for the trip to Caldera.We travelled in a small but comfortable bus with about 12 other Seabourn passengers. We had a fine guide for the trip that pointed out many interesting things you can see if you know where to look. I'm sure other transportation is available, but if you chose other, check it out carefully! On the transfer part--the pickup at the San Jose airport to the hotel was great--the airport customs and immigration can be busy at times, and it was nice to have a driver and limo waiting out side to take us to the hotel. Don

James--I would give serious consideration to the pre-cruise hotel program offered by Seabourn--the Hotel is great, and all transfers are included. The trip from San Jose to Caldera takes about 2 hours on fairly good two lane roads--we felt very comfortable in Seabourn's hands for the trip to Caldera.We travelled in a small but comfortable bus with about 12 other Seabourn passengers. We had a fine guide for the trip that pointed out many interesting things you can see if you know where to look. I'm sure other transportation is available, but if you chose other, check it out carefully! On the transfer part--the pickup at the San Jose airport to the hotel was great--the airport customs and immigration can be busy at times, and it was nice to have a driver and limo waiting out side to take us to the hotel. Don

Hi Don,

Unfortunatley we are arriving in Caldera not departing Caldera otherwise we would have taken advantage of the precruise offering, we have to also leave on the day we get into Caldera because of interntational transfers at Miami Airport, so not a chance to do a post cruise either. We will contact Seabourn to see what they offer in the way of transfers, this is because we don't want to be left stranded by a tour operator and miss our flights back to the UK.

Many thanks once again

James

ITravelNow,

Thanks for your reply, I have passed your travel dates on to mum and dad and they are keen to hook up on board. They suggest a dinner or drinks invitation might be the go? It will be nice for them to have some new friends for their first cruise. Thankyou for stepping forward (:-)).

james King,

Wow another Aussie onboard!! that made dad smile, Jeez we get around huh! same as above james drinks?, dinner maybe?

I am having some problems with Seabourn air, and am getting conflicting feedback so I am going to start a new post.

I did not realise how negative they are to non US residents, but it maybe just a particular staffie in the aussie representative office.

Cheers,

Colin....................................

(Update)

for those of you that have helped me here, l have now convinced Dad and Mum to come online and join Cruise Critic, I suspect that they will introduce themselves here over the next week or so.

They are now getting excited about the future trip and will have lots of questions i'm sure.

I know that all the fine folks here on the board will make them very welcome.

Cheers

Colin...............................................

Just letting you all know, dad and mum have just made their first post Yaay!!

under the heading "roll call Legend 5/12-07 to 2/jan-08"

Please say hi as it was a big thing for me to get them on here.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

Have responded to your parents in their posting. Next time I am up in sunny QLD we will have to have a drink somewhere. I have my airline tickets now (long time in advance, but preparation is always essential for these cruises!)

I will make sure your mum and dad are not excluded from anything, please ask them to join us for dinner and drinks during the cruise. We love talking to fellow ozzies! Last cruise we were on, there were several Australian's onboard, and you could hear them in the dining room!

Kindest regards

James

Archived