Worth Going to Los Mochis?

In Toronto

Hi. We are on the April 12th sailing of the Ryndam. One of the ports of call is Topolobampo. We do not want to take the Copper Canyon tour and have seen mention of Los Mochis City. Would like to do it on our own. Are there buses? Perhaps we could take a taxi? Is it worth it? What is Topolobampo like? Can't seem to find much info (other than ship's tours).

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I found this on one review from Feb/08 (I think that was the date)

Excursions: Since we had been to the Mexican Rivera several times, I chose to take just one tour, the Bay, Birds & Dolphins tour in Topolobampo. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I got some of the best pictures I took during that tour. After I returned to the ship we took a cab to Los Mochis. When we got there the driver said where do you want to be left off. We looked around and replied, "The ship."

Also from a review from Feb/08

Topolobampo- This port is mostly for the people who participate in the copper canyon train tour, which is nearly $500, and makes for an extremely long day, which we did not participate in. The local authorities provided guided buses into Los Mochis and a beach. Los Mochis really did not have much to offer, it was a working city, not aimed at tourist. The beach was very littered, but there were various restaurants located here. In the afternoon a folkloric ballet, preformed by local teens, happened in both the Vermeer Lounge and later outside at the pier. Topo was interesting, but would be better enjoyed if you took one of the various shore excursions. This port was also a crew favorite, there was areas to play soccer and basketball.

Been to Los Mochis four times (actually been THRU Los Mochis). As stated above this is not a tourist destination (except for the Copper Canyon train), it's real Mexico. They have an international airport that is a large metal building, last time I was thru there the only eating place in the "airport" was closed down - as in permanent closed down. And the only thing international about it was 1 flight a day to LAX (maybe it's changed). It's a working mans city. BUT, three hours north of Los Mochis is Lake Huites. If you are a bass fisherman, this is nirvana.

As far as Topobolompo, I didn't remember any reason for a cruise ship to stop there. I have only been there on a Sunday, but all of the locals come in by the truckload (serious - 10-20 people crammed in the back of a truck). There were a bunch of "restaraunts" scattered down the beach and we were told it's a shrimp fest.

But, who knows. It's been three years since I've been there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (is that how that goes).

And check this out, if you drive around town you will see these little motor oil stands all over the place. They sell two kinds of oil - new and used. And you'll see tire shops (they all drive on maypops), and beer stores (oh wait, that's OK) and bbq chicken joints. ....Wish I was driving thru right now.

Archived