Caribbean Cruise vs. All-inclusive

MillbrookMom

We are trying to decide which would be better for our family's first introduction to the Caribbean. An all inclusive resort in somewhere like Mexico, Cuba or DR.....or a Caribbean cruise?

What do you think? and why? :confused:

I absolutely love cruising as do my kids, but we have never been to an all inclusive before. I just can't give up cruising so I will be checking back to see what answers you get. I am assuming since this is a cruise board you will get mostly go on a cruise answers, but who knows!!!!!

Depends on the island you choose to stay at. There is a different type of carribean in each of the places you named. Spanish carribean is different.

The most relaxing trip I ever had was at the Beaches turks and caicos, but only saw the resort area. There seem to be no reason to leave the hotel. I am usally pretty active, but it was so comfortable I did want to leave. The only cultural aspect you felt was the steel drum band in the lobby of hotel.

I have stayed in PR and St Thomas (not all inclusive) which was great, I was fairly acitive and saw more of the culture of the people. In DR I didn't want to leave the resort, but for various other reasons.

I think to get the most comprehensive view of the carribean pick a cruise.

I am cruises obsessed so there is NO doubt what I would say. I have TRIED and TRIED to convince myself to do an AI but none appeal to me.

Here's why:

Everything that I will ever need is right there on the ship. I can choose to get off the ship at the port or stay on.

The kids clubs are out of this world and the security is TIGHT. And this is a huge worry of mine at an AI....the security. I mean, where can someone take my child when they are on a ship in the middle of the ocean? They wouldn't be able to get them out of the club for one. And if by some chance they did...they aren't getting far.

I LOVE waking up at a new port every day. There is no better way to see the Carribean. We all have favorites. My favorite is Eastern, but even at the Eastern itinerary I have some islands I like more than others. I would hate to fly to an AI and absolutly hate the country I'm in, then I'm stuck there for the week.

There are sooo many other reasons...spending a quiet evening on the balcony watching the waves under the moonlight.

The excursions and the ease of it all. We've swam with dolphins 3 times...done jet skis over sharks and discovered Atlantis. ;) You just can't do all of that at one stop at an AI.

MillbrookMom (and others):

Kids' ages played a part for us.

We took our first "big" Caribbean vacation last fall. Kids were 1.5, 4.5, 7, 10. We decided to do an all-inclusive in Jamaica (Beaches Sandy Bay in Negril) for a couple reasons. Main one being that the children's program starts at a couple months old, so we could leave our son (ended up bakfiring because he hit separation anxiety). Also was nice not getting hit for every soda, water activity, etc. The ONLY thing we paid for once we set foot on the resort was the T-shirts we bought the last day.

That being said, my husband and I priced out an anniversary trip for this spring, and decided to cruise because we could do the cruise, airfare, and all of our shore excursions for a lot less than just the AI resort price. (And we don't drink, so we're not paying for drinks). We decided the smaller room was a trade-off we were willing to make.

I want to cruise with our 4 kids, but we'll probably wait at least until our son turns 3 next year to have the kids' club option (on RCI). I know some lines take them at 2 and some have babysitting as well.

My kids loved the AI resort and it was the right size for a 5-day vacation with younger kids. Only left the resort once, to go to a neighboring waterpark, so the other poster was right about not getting as much "local flavor."

We'll probably do something like that again, but we want to introduce them to cruising (my 7-year-old saw a video promo for a RCI Voyager-class ship and couldn't believe all of that was on one ship):)

Price-wise, I'm not sure how they stack up. Time of year, type of ship or brand of resort will play a big part in the Caribbean. If you have more than 2 kids, you pretty much have to get a suite or two rooms with either an AI or cruise.

If there's a particular type of activity the kids are really interested in (snorkeling, sports, dolphins, etc.) you might want to check on that. I would have loved to do the dolphin swim in Jamaica, but the nearest one was a 2+ hour ride away.

Good luck choosing -- you'll have a great time either way!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?"

Forget Cuba!

I've done many all inclusives in Cuba (3 times/year for 8 years) before I decided to try a cruise last february. Well...let me just say, I'll never go back to Cuba again!

The top hotels in Cuba don't even come close to the quality you'll find on a cruise. The room, the bed, the view, the food, the cleanliness, the activities, the kids programs, the service, and I could go on and on are 100x better on a cruise then at a cuban resort. And I've been to the best ones.

I've been to Sandals Dunn's River and Grand Lido Sans Souci (now Couples Sans Souci) in Jamaica and even if they are a lot better than cuban resorts, they still don't come close to what I experienced on my cruise.

I think that to top the quality you'll find on a cruise, you'll have to pay a lot more and go to an upscale resort (outside Cuba).

We did an AI in Cabo San Lucas and we have done a cruise...my daughter fell in love with Cabo (she's 6) but really all there was to do was go around the island here and there and stay at the hotel and have her be in the kids club...the kids club at the AI was not open past 6pm so there went any of our evenings out. It was not easy to find tour guides unless you went into town and those really were not ones that we trusted...Don't get me wrong, we had a blast but it felt like there was so much more for us all (adults and kids) on the cruise. The activities for the kids on the cruise were way better than at the AI and the activities on the cruise were 1000 times better for the adults. We found that there were not many evening activities for anyone at the AI so therefore we would have to go into town. On the cruise there was so much to choose from and they watch your child for a minimal fee in the kids camp so they are not stuck in the room like it would be at an AI most likely...I would say you can go for either but we prefer the cruise as there is so much more for everyone and the people at the ports are more trustworthy than the people in town in some of these places.

We are sad because we are going to be cancelling our summer cruise to go do a huge family Disney Vacation this coming August and although we are staying in an AI we know that nights will be boring for us.

We are trying to decide which would be better for our family's first introduction to the Caribbean. An all inclusive resort in somewhere like Mexico, Cuba or DR.....or a Caribbean cruise?

What do you think? and why? :confused:

I think that AIs and cruises both have their pro's and con's, but you had asked for which option would be best for your family's "introduction to the Caribbean." If that is the case, then I highly recommend a cruise, which will take you to several different ports of call, and you can experience different flavors of each island. I can't imagine a better way to be introduced to the different cultures present in the Caribbean.

Perhaps after one or two cruises, and you found an island/location you really enjoy and want to explore further, then you may return to an AI in that area and check out the area more in-depth.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you have a fabulous time, no matter what you choose!

Linda

We are sad because we are going to be cancelling our summer cruise to go do a huge family Disney Vacation this coming August and although we are staying in an AI we know that nights will be boring for us.

Why would you cancel your cruise? Do what we do, we go to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) for a few days (or up to a week) then hop a 4 day cruise (or a 7 day cruise) pending on how long we stayed in Disney. ;)

We did an AI in Playa with the kids 3 years ago when they were 10 & 7, and now we are doing our first cruise with them next year. The AI vacation was the best vacation we ever did with them and it beat out Disney by far. Most AI's are located where ships go so all the same excursions are available for people staying at the resorts as people on a cruise ship. These are what we liked and disliked abou the AI's.

Pros' - AI, no extra money for soda's, virgin drinks (which the kids loved), and food. You can pick as many excursions as you want since you are there multiple days. We snorkeled, saw ruines and did jungle stuff, we did not need to limit it one since we were there multiple days. You can leave the resort as well as stay there (just like a port, leave the ship or get off). There was kids entertainment at night that they loved. They sat with friends that they made and hung out with them while we sat with the parents. Smaller then a ship so less places for them to go. We felt easier at that age letting go off on their own since there was not alot places that they could go. Beach - If you want lay on the beach then an AI has it every day. No excursion to get to one.

Con's - I have to say if the main reason for the vacation is a Kids club then don't do an AI unless it is a Beaches kind of place. Ours was not good and was poorly run. It was OK for my kids because we did most of the stuff with them, but other then a few games that they liked it was pretty useless. It was not divided into age groups or anything like that. There were pool activities that they participated in and enjoyed.

We are really looking forward to our cruise and we are hoping that it is also the "Best vacation ever" for the kids and for ourselves. The AI vacation was great though and we would do another with our kids in a heartbeat, but we picked a cruise to do something different. We have cruise 2 times without the kids and we are looking forward for them to experience a cruise. I can't say one vacation is better then the other. We hope that every vacation is memorable for all of us. It is a new experience for us and week out of the house.

The main reason we decided to take our first cruise last year was value: having done all-inclusives and understanding the true costs, it was clear that you get more for your money by cruising. That said, I offer the following reasons why I could conceivably choose a resort over a ship in the future.

1. Architecture and landscaping: I enjoy wandering around a large, well-done resort complex, admiring the craftsmanship of its structures and gardens. Any Caribbean all-inclusive worth the name is a spectacle of patios, pathways, courtyards, and atriums surrounded by exotic flora.

2. Opportunities for improvisation: If spontaneous adventure were a priority for any of us, big-ship cruises and all-inclusive resorts would be among our last vacation options. But it’s always nice to be able to change your plans in mid-excursion, if you see a beach where you simply must stop or if you get a local’s recommendation for an off-the-beaten-path sight or restaurant.

3. Pool culture: what do kids tend to remember best about any warm-weather vacation, from the Greek islands to Disney World? The swimming pool, of course. And all-inclusives have among the most opulent pools, with waterfalls, whirlpools, islands, and those most wonderful inventions, the swim-up bars. Add in the eye-popping landscaping and a generous helping of luxurious furnishings (sometimes entire beds! under canopies!) for a decadent vacation experience.

4. Elbow room: what are you doing in your room? You’re on vacation! Nevertheless, if your family chooses on a given day to be so vegetative that you don’t even leave your accommodation, you’ll likely have a better time of it on land. Unless you can afford the largest suites, spending an evening eating room service and watching pay-per-view movies is not a pleasant option, particularly if you have a standard cabin of less than 200 square feet. At a resort, where even modest rooms as large as oceangoing suites and have balconies, spending a night in may be most enjoyable for a family of 4-5.

Lee

The main reason we decided to take our first cruise last year was value: having done all-inclusives and understanding the true costs, it was clear that you get more for your money by cruising. That said, I offer the following reasons why I could conceivably choose a resort over a ship in the future.

Lee

Can you please explain what you mean about the "true costs" of an all inclusive? and why you get more for your money with cruising. Thanks.

We did an AI in Playa with the kids 3 years ago when they were 10 & 7, and now we are doing our first cruise with them next year. The AI vacation was the best vacation we ever did with them and it beat out Disney by far. Most AI's are located where ships go so all the same excursions are available for people staying at the resorts as people on a cruise ship. These are what we liked and disliked abou the AI's.

Pros' - AI, no extra money for soda's, virgin drinks (which the kids loved), and food. You can pick as many excursions as you want since you are there multiple days. We snorkeled, saw ruines and did jungle stuff, we did not need to limit it one since we were there multiple days. You can leave the resort as well as stay there (just like a port, leave the ship or get off). There was kids entertainment at night that they loved. They sat with friends that they made and hung out with them while we sat with the parents. Smaller then a ship so less places for them to go. We felt easier at that age letting go off on their own since there was not alot places that they could go. Beach - If you want lay on the beach then an AI has it every day. No excursion to get to one.

Can I ask which one you went to? We were thinking about the Iberostar's. It is a tough decision! Our boys are 10 and 13.

In Sept 2005, I took my son (then age 8) to Beaches Negril in Jamaica for 4 nights. The cost, including airfare, was $1800.00. To be fair, the airfare made up just over half of that cost. However, the great rate for the resort itself was due to the month of Sept being cheap, and getting a single parent discount, otherwise I would never have been able to afford it.

In Sept 2006, I took my son (then age 9) on a 4 night cruise on the Carnival Sensation. The cost was $650.00. No airfare, as we live an hour away from the port.

My son ADORED both vacations, as did I. It is very hard to say which one we enjoyed best, because they were both so wonderful, but we both tend to lean towards the AI experience. It was just so over the top, so completely different from anything we have ever done before. Being able to walk out to one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world at any time, and help ourselves to the watersports, like canoes, water trikes, etc, without any extra cost was so much fun. Swimming in the huge, beautiful pools which were not at all crowded, (probably due to Sept date of travel), was amazing, and the swim up bars! My son loved the swim up bars as much as I did. They make tons of non-alcoholic drinks with special names that the kids can order over and over while sitting in the pool, and the bartenders treated them so kindly. And not having to sign receipts every time we drank or ate was great.

But we still LOVED the cruise - it was also fantastic. Wonderful meals in the dining room, fun entertainment at night, and getting to visit the ports of call - just great. Just sitting and watching the ocean go by is such a great experience.

Overall, while not one thing was bad or low-rated from either trip, the cruise gets the nod in food and nighttime entertainment, but the AI gets the nod in drinks and daytime entertainment.

AIs are not for everyone - especially in Jamaica, where there is a definite difference in the way service and timeliness is handled. And the food, while very good, is not quite up to par with the cruiseship dining room, especially at dinner. But if you are more laid back, and are in it to relax and just have fun with the kids, and can afford it, I highly recommend taking the kids to an AI, just for the experience.

Can I ask which one you went to? We were thinking about the Iberostar's. It is a tough decision! Our boys are 10 and 13.

We went to Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. They are 2 sides of the same resort, they just are seperated for TA. It is a beautiful resort and the design is like a jungle. Great time there and we are going back with friends Memorial weekend. The kids are really mad since they are not invited (hahah).

We did an AI (Breezes in Curacao) and were so completely disappointed after we had done 2 cruises. The food was very average, we are lite drinkers and the kids program was very small and impersonal so I really don't think we got our moneys worth on that vacation. We are generally very, very easy going easy to please types. The first night they had us in a room right next to a completely rocking disco... absolutely crazy with an 18 month old. I complained (very politely I might add) and they did eventually move us to a quieter area of the resort but they appeared very perturbed by the request. Obviously this is not indicitive of all AIs I guess my warning is don't choose this one! I have yet to cruise with kids as I'm just starting to plan our 1st one since having children so I can't comment on that however that would still be my suggestion.

Can you please explain what you mean about the "true costs" of an all inclusive? and why you get more for your money with cruising. Thanks.

The main thing to know is how expensive it is to fly to Mexico, the DR, Jamaica, etc. compared to flying to Florida or other US cruise ports. Moreover, most destinations require connections such that you often lose a whole day to air travel. I believe cruises are a better value because:

1. You get multiple destinations, at least some of which will be attractive and interesting to you, with or without expensive excursions.

2. The cuisine on cruise ships is superior.

3. The entertainment and enrichment opportunities on cruise ships is also of higher quality than what you can expect at a resort.

4. There are on a cruise ship no issues with mosquitos, the quality of drinking water, or other tropical health concerns.

Lee

Our family of 6 (12,16,16,17) has done both. We have done AIs in Riveriera Maya and the DR (both Iberostars and excellent quality). We have cruised 2x - 4 day to Bahamas and 7 day West. Caribb w/ another Eastern Caribb due this summer. We alternated every other year. In addition hubby and I have done adult-only AIs in Jamaica (Couples). Honestly from a strictly cost standpoint AIs were a better deal. The AIs booked through a tour operator (Apple) gave us air, AI(2 rooms), all food, drinks (alcoholic and non), specialty restaurant reservations, entertainment, lots of space - wide sandy beaches, and excellent staffs. Excursions were extra, of course, and on par w/the cruiseline. Oh, and no tipping either. On a cruise we pay for our air, 2 cabins, all alcoholic drinks, soda cards (usually 2), tips ($420 for a week for 6 ppl). Entertainment is better on the cruisline than the AI. At an AI the kids can be more active - 2 of mine play beach volleyball all day. The other 2 play tennis. It really depends on what you want out of the vacation. I find the AIs to be more relaxing and stress-free. The pools and grounds are definitely much nicer too. That being said we still like cruising for the cultural benefits of visiting different islands, but with family of 6 I don't often spend the money to have an excursion in each port. So as much as I would like to experience and tour each new place I often don't. Also, I find the older kids are more receptive to touring the islands - younger ones might get a little bored and cranky.

I'm so glad to see this discussion. We've only done AI's and we're going on our first cruise in August.

We're in Europe where there's less choice of AI's but a ton of cruise options.

My problem is dh travels with work. The last thing he wants to do is go anywhere on vacation, once he unpacks the bags. I can't just veg by the pool so I'm really hoping this works for us. I'll probably get off at every stop and he'll spend more time on the ship.

Last year we stayed at a very good hotel in Brittany. I nearly went clinically insane while he loved every minute. It was two weeks in a boring French village for me with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Heaven for him...

I'm concerned about the smaller rooms and the pool area, whether they'll be what he expects. He conplained about the "comfort" of the Club Med rooms (one reason why we're not returning). The real reason is that they raised their prices to the point that cruising is basically the same price now.

We've already discussed that we need to evaluate whether we think cruising is a good vacation option, regardless of the experience itself. We can always try a different line, different ports, etc. We're going Celebrity because of the food and the intinerary, basically. I'm encourged to hear that it is better on cruises. The entertainment too.

Anyone travel with "veggers" who prefer cruises??

Eclipsepearl....

I must travel with the biggest veggie out there--to give his due he often works 15 hour days

On a cruise days at sea..I see my husband for breakfast then he takes a nap comes out for lunch and an hour poolside then takes a nap then dinner, show and a drinks or two by the bar in bed by 12:30-1

Thank god we on a cruise so I can leave him and do one of the many activities available... At port, he come out for about 5 hours then goes back to the ship to nap, thats when I shop or stroll I hate naps. I don't do relaxing. I need to keep busy. Cruising has been our most sucessful form of vacationing. Other types have been not so sucessful.

We did celebrity in 2002... my complaint was it was an older crowd compared to Royal and carnvial...everything else was on point

I think a cruise 1st will give you a better idea of where you would like to spend an extended time on another vacation. Cruise ships are pretty much all inclusive as well. There are always extras, and costs are kept down this way for those that don't use the extra services.

For a family, both vacation itinearies are great. A land based vacation is more local and based mainly in that area, where on a cruise you can see the world. Have fun on your vacation, no matter where...a family on a vacation will have a great time. We have been on cruises and vacation destinations, the real thing is YOU make it what it is

• 4 weeks later...
Cruise ships are pretty much all inclusive as well. There are always extras, and costs are kept down this way for those that don't use the extra services.

Well the drinks can add up pretty quickly. Especially for a kid who orders a drink, takes a few sips and then is done.

As for cost, I would think our cruise is more expensive than the AI we did. DH and I spent $2500 for our 7-night AI (Iberostar, Mexico) vacation. We expect this cruise to be about $5000 for the four of us (six nights). I if we had taken the kids at the AI, they wouldn't pay full price, so I doubt it would have $5000, but who knows. I guess the price is comparable; you'd really just have to price it out.

I did not ever see groups of kids at the kids clubs at the AI. So I really don't know how well they're run. But like a previous poster said, I think I would feel more comforatable with them on a ship. Especially at a younger age (mine are 3 and 6). I'm not opposed to the AI when they're a bit older though. In fact, we might try an AI in Dominican for our next vacation.

One advantage I can see for the AI over the cruise is the beach is right there. You do not have to disembark, walk, take a taxi, whatever to get to the beach. If you forget your sunscreen, one person can just run back to the room. If the little one needs to nap, he goes back to the room with mom or dad and big brother stays at the beach or pool.

One thing I will suggest: if you are traveling during hurricane season: take the cruise. A ship can stay out of the way, but an AI is stuck in right smack in the middle of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

stumbled across this thread..

we as a family (one 4 yr old) haven't set foot in the caribbean yet and intrigued by doing so via a cruise, I hadn't been looking to do so, and had found this website accidently when looking for recommended kids clubs...

Michele (crusinmama06) gave a compelling view of the caribbean cruise, and I'm tempted. Michele if you're reading this you said "My favorite is Eastern" - which company / itineray was that?

It sounds like the food / activities / fun can be pretty good on these cruises. But I guess it must very much depend on which company / boat you go with.. I'd like recommendations please!

The main appeal for me, would be see a few of the caribbean islands - I'll have to fly out from Europe and could fly to one of the islands as a starting point, my main goal would be to see a few of the most well known islands.

There's one BIG problem with a cruise for me (not rest of family) - I have been known to be a little sea sick on ferries before - but if these modern boats are pretty stable and ... what about the caribbean seas themselves, generally calm?

And also, when does the cruise liner do most of it's travelling, at night? That would suit me best.. we'd like to explore the islands as much as possible, so would hope to take advange of all the stops.

All advice welcome!!

Archived