Mens/Teens Formal Wear Guideline?

1st Carnival Cruise - question as to what is appropriate for formal night for DH/DS to wear. Really don't want to get into renting them tuxes. We will be dining in the Legend supper club one evening.

DHs a steelworker, not a suit & tie kind of guy' but he cleans up nice:D . Has a couple nice sports coats, etc.

While he wants to be dressed appropriately (could purchase a dark suit); he'd love to just wear dockers/chinos & a sport coat. Will he stick out like a sore thumb if he does?

DS will be 14, usually just stick him in a blue blazer/khakis too...would it work on a teen or does he need a dark suit too?

okay, thanx

jmo, but nothing worse looking than a cheap suit or tux for that matter; just hate to spend several hundred $ on an outfit that will be rarely worn; or in my son's case grown out of quickly.

i've read accounts of people changing very quickly out of formal clothes after dinner:confused: before they head to shows, etc.; figure once your dressed up might as well roll with it for the evening; or is this common/accepted practice?

i've read accounts of people changing very quickly out of formal clothes after dinner:confused: before they head to shows, etc.; figure once your dressed up might as well roll with it for the evening; or is this common/accepted practice?

To this question, it is pretty common, and we do it on most of our summer cruises. The cooler weather evenings on Thanksgiving cruises might make a difference. My wife gets a little cold in the theatres at night, so she will take a sweater or wear long pants.

You are going to get at least 20 replies. Your guys will be fine in a sport coat and polo. When those that reply to consider the "alternate dining choices like the buffet" just ignore them. They didn't get promoted to fashion police, and are not in charge of what you pack.

You will see most in suits, ranging from guys who would like to throw them overboard to men that look like a suit is a daily wardrobe choice.

The numbers in tuxedos varies from week to week, and summer cruises are the ones where we've seen the fewest. Some choose to not wear a jacket at all and come with a dress shirt and tie. Some wear khakis and a polo shirt every night including formal.

One note, if you are flying airlines enforce the 50-pound weight limit for suitcases more strictly than ever before. I watched a group have a major repacking leaving Chicago this past Friday evening.

Finally, cruise lines are in tough competition for your vacation dollar. This is not an invitation to break rules they post, but you will find a suggested dress in the daily Cruise Capers newsletter in your cabin. That's the one to follow.

I take a dark suit (everyday wardrobe for my career) and wear it about 2 hours a night for formal nights. Then it's back to khaki shorts and polo for the balance of the evening. If someone has a fit over that then they can get my attention by saying "sir, let me buy you a drink and discuss fashion” If not, then they might have a better cruise chatting about a better topic...

............or is this common/accepted practice?

There is no such thing as common/accepted practice, Keisha. You guys are on a cruise, wear what you feel comfortable in and what your mood says. :D To hell with

the 2000 other passengers! :D I am NOT saying wear, shorts, jeans, T-shirts, tank tops etc but I hate to see people sink $100s of Dollars just to keep up with the Jones.

This is your vacation, your cruise, do what you feel is RIGHT for you guys, nevermind

the others.

In my 40+, close to 50 cruises, I have seen the gamut of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. People in Armanis, Diamond Rolexes (Yes the Captain has been on those type of cruises too, lol ;) ) and also people in smart yet casual outfits, I have also seen people wear jeans, t-shirts, tank tops and the like. Does it spoil my dining experience or the night's ambiance, HELL NO!

People should wear what they feel comfortable with and just mind their own business, period. The Captain only judges people by the looks on their faces, if they are smiling and having fun, they are WINNERS in my book, no matter what they wear. LIkewise if they are grumpy, bitching and always looking for the next argument, screw them, no matter what they are wearing, they are the biggest LOSERS, in my book.

Just the Captain's take on the matter, others may very well have strong different opinions.

Happy Cruising everyone :)

You guys are on a cruise, wear what you feel comfortable in and what your mood says.

In my 40+, close to 50 cruises, I have seen the gamut of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. People in Armanis, Diamond Rolexes (Yes the Captain has been on those type of cruises too, lol

Captain, I have a teenager going to college next year, so no Rolex, but a nice TAG. Can my wife and I sit with you in our nice polos and have a drink or two?

Excellent response, and right on target.

There is no such thing as common/accepted practice, Keisha. You guys are on a cruise, wear what you feel comfortable in and what your mood says. :D To hell with

the 2000 other passengers!

That's a GREAT attitude! I hope for your sake that everyone else on your cruise doesn't have the same attitude when it comes to, say, making noise in the hall, blowing smoke at you, pushing you around in line, you know, all that fun stuff. After all, you're one of the "2000 other passengers" to everyone else, so to hell with you! Eh?

That's a GREAT attitude! I hope for your sake that everyone else on your cruise doesn't have the same attitude when it comes to, say, making noise in the hall, blowing smoke at you, pushing you around in line, you know, all that fun stuff. After all, you're one of the "2000 other passengers" to everyone else, so to hell with you! Eh?

Well ParrotRob,

those are ALL your words and if the Captain may say so, they have got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC AT HAND!

:rolleyes: Here's a little challenge for you to make you kill some braincells :rolleyes: :

Show the Captain anywhere in any of his threads/posts where he has advocated any of the crap you have just suggested.

And how stupid (DOH) is your reply when you only highlight & quote only part of my reply, shouldn't your braincells have read the ENTIRE reply before your itching fingers started typing? lol

Happy cruising buddy

okay, thanx

jmo, but nothing worse looking than a cheap suit or tux for that matter; just hate to spend several hundred $ on an outfit that will be rarely worn; or in my son's case grown out of quickly.

I'm one of the people that is OUT of my tuxedo as soon as possible, but thats because I get HOT in all that stuff. I'm much more comfortable in shorts and a polo or other short sleeved shirt. Other cruise lines, like Celebrity, indirectly ask you to stay dressed formally for the rest of the evening. I did that on the Zenith and it sucked. Just my personal experience.

Well ParrotRob,

those are ALL your words and if the Captain may say so, they have got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC AT HAND!

:rolleyes: Here's a little challenge for you to make you kill some braincells :rolleyes: :

Show the Captain anywhere in any of his threads/posts where he has advocated any of the crap you have just suggested.

Actually, they have everything to do with the topic at hand. You see, the topic boils down to style and, more importantly, tact, which a comment like "to hell with the 2000 other passengers" kind of implies a lack of... just sayin, is all. If the shoe fits...

Me, on the other hand, I'm of the opinion that it's MY vacation, but it's also the vacation of the other 2000 on board, so I'll try to enjoy myself and have fun while still respecting the wishes and expectations of not only my host, but also my 2000 fellow vacationers. But hey, I'm old school like that - it's not all about ME.

1st Carnival Cruise - question as to what is appropriate for formal night for DH/DS to wear. Really don't want to get into renting them tuxes. We will be dining in the Legend supper club one evening.

DHs a steelworker, not a suit & tie kind of guy' but he cleans up nice:D . Has a couple nice sports coats, etc.

While he wants to be dressed appropriately (could purchase a dark suit); he'd love to just wear dockers/chinos & a sport coat. Will he stick out like a sore thumb if he does?

DS will be 14, usually just stick him in a blue blazer/khakis too...would it work on a teen or does he need a dark suit too?

My DH is a firefighter and I also have a preteen son... so, I know what you mean. Yes, they do clean up very nicely and our hubbies will look FINE (and I mean that in the f.i.n.e. sense!!!) with nice button-down shirts and smooth docker-type paints:) I know that if my hubby feels comfortable and good about himself--- THAT is what makes him fit right in. No tie for him! We will be on our cruise for Easter and that is the only time he even wears a tie to church:) Most importantly... don't worry. Be happy. A nice smile dresses up anything:)

B Blest

thanks for all the input!

While I want them to feel comfortable in their attire, I know they'd both feel very uncomfortable if their dress was lacking. Just don't want to steer them wrong. As long as they admit us to the supper club without a fuss; I'll be happy.

We'll be on an early Dec. cruise, think I'll stick with packing sportcoats, dress shirt/tie & dress pants. Unless I find a heck of a sale on a nice suit for DH before then.

Starting to wonder if a wool blend sportcoat would be too hot on a western cruise? Perhaps just a navy blazer ala a nautical theme.;)

Really, tuxes are not the norm. Most men wear suits on formal nights. On regular nights they wear shirts w/collars and docker type pants. My sons (twins 16, and one 12) all wore blue sport coats, shirts, and ties on formal nights. After that they wore collared polos and khaki's. Hubby wore a suit (navy) only because he already had one. I'm with you - don't spend $$ on something that will not be worn. Have fun and don't worry about it. They will really be in the majority.

We've been cruising for years and years. On budget cruises, expensive European cruises and not once has my DH ever worn a tux. He has a very nice black suit that he wears. I've always worn cocktail dresses. Never have worn a formal gown. We have never felt out of place and have never had anyone negatively comment on our dress. More the opposite! We have gotten many nice compliments over the years. When our DS came along and started sailing with us he has always worn a sport jacket, shirt and tie for formal nights and a polo shirt and his long Dickies (they are like dockers, but don't tell him that! lol). Last year we sailed on NCL for the first time and he wore a shirt and tie and khakis, no jacket for "optional night" and polos and his Dickies on regular nights. He'll wear the same thing this year!:D

My family doesn't dress up at all so I'm looking forward to formal night. When else am I going to get nice pictures of everyone in fancy clothes?

I got a great deal on ebay for a tux for my DS 16 (adjustable pants) and my husband got my Dad's old tux so we are good to go.

Try checking a second hand store for some good buys.

Whatever you do, enjoy.

Denise

No, not everyone rushes to change into their shorts after formal night dinner, but yes, some do. I never understood it myself but then my formal attire is comfortable and I am very comfortable dressed in my gown or cocktail dress. DH wears a tux and does not change.

IMO chinos are very casual and not approppriate. Will you see some? Yes, along with shorts, jeans and sweats on formal night.

There is more than one cruise line out there and all of them have different rules, different scenarios for different people.....

So why would someone choose a cruise that doesn't fit into thier lifestyle just to break the rules?

I think the answer is money.

with all the new ships and competitive pricing the industry is attracting a different demographic.

These people, especially families with children will complain about dressing correctly or having to buy clothing, but will run a bar tab into the thousands, stack up plates full of food at the buffet and not eat it, as well as let their children run amuck...there have also been many more seasoned cruisers seeing the staff being treated poorly....I wonder who is doing this.

While having money or dressing appropriately does not automatically give someone class,.....not following the suggested guidlines or trying "to get away with' most certainly makes a person CRASS.

Dave:eek:

There is more than one cruise line out there and all of them have different rules, different scenarios for different people.....

So why would someone choose a cruise that doesn't fit into thier lifestyle just to break the rules?

I think the answer is money.

with all the new ships and competitive pricing the industry is attracting a different demographic.

These people, especially families with children will complain about dressing correctly or having to buy clothing, but will run a bar tab into the thousands, stack up plates full of food at the buffet and not eat it, as well as let their children run amuck...there have also been many more seasoned cruisers seeing the staff being treated poorly....I wonder who is doing this.

While having money or dressing appropriately does not automatically give someone class,.....not following the suggested guidlines or trying "to get away with' most certainly makes a person CRASS.

hmmm; i get what you're trying to state; however...

based on my admittedly very limited cruise experience; $$$ spent on the cruise doesn't equal level of dress or class/crass levels.

We sailed on the DCL Wonder (nearly 3 times the cost of our current Carnival cruise) and the general dress in the dining rooms was resort casual, to say the least. DH/DS were the minority and "over-dressed" in sport coats/dress shirts & ties. While the women tended to pull out all the stops, most of the male guests preferred to sport hawaiian shirts/polos. Lots of jeans too. Could count on 1 hand how many tuxes I saw.

JMHO, but I'd much rather see a gent in clean, pressed & well-tailored dress shirt/tie/chinos over an ill-fitting, cheap suit...always thought that an individual's behavior determined class, not the cut of their cloth.;)

I could be wrong, but Disney is Country Club Casual, with optional formal, from what I remember.

And while DCL is tends to be more expensive than the rest, your point proves my point instead of disparaging it.

My point was that lines like Disney which are basically CC casual can be more expensive, therefore discouraging many with larger families to sail them because of the cost. Other lines like Celebrity, RCCL, and others that have a more formal dress code, but are less expensive, attract passengers with families due to the affordability, yet many do NOT want to adhear to the dress codes because they cry poverty or simply feel they don't have to follow the rules.

If the guidelines state a tux, dinner jacket, or dark suit is acceptable, I surely don't know how someone could ask if they could get away with anything less. To me this is not only lazy, but disrespectful to the cruiseline and others who purchased the same vacation with a certain expectation based on the companies marketing.

If I had a choice of dining partners I would most likely choose the cheap suit or ill fitted tux to sit with me over the 'neat' looking khakis and pressed shirt. One individual is at least making an effort to follow and respect the conditions set for by the ship, the other is in blatant disregard.....I have to wonder about the character, courtesy, and etiquette of those who set their own rules, or feel they are above them.

I'm all about the rules of the sea (especially the one pertaining to women & children first:p ).

Specifically; asked as to dress code because I don't know what the norm is on Carnival (other than hairy chests & tank tops:rolleyes: ).

Didn't see guidelines stated anywhere on Carnival website or in the brochure (probably there somewhere, I just couldn't find them).

Have asked Carnival agent I booked with and she basically stated "resort casual, no big deal...even for formal night, a collared shirt and dress pants are acceptible, shorts & flip flops are discouraged. She further stated that only in the supper club is a jacket required and if you appear without one, they have 'loaners'.:confused:

Have checked out a couple guidebooks & they too, toute the wide range of apparel that is observed at dinner, even on formal night.

Which is exactly why i inquired here of the 'experts' as to what is the norm/standard practice; don't want to offend any of our fellow passengers; nor have my DH/DS be under dressed or unnecessarily uncomfortable in a tux or suit.

Note to self: leave the mickey mouse hawaiian shirts @ home.:)

She further stated that only in the supper club is a jacket required and if you appear without one, they have 'loaners'.:confused:

Well, she's wrong on that one too, cause you are only required to wear a jacket in the supper club on formal night.

Archived