Pride 3/2007 Passage to Portugal Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

did anybody here what caused the compleate shutdown and power lost on the pride during dinner for 20 minutes midway across our crossing it was very intreasting how the dinning room staff handled it turning the dinning room into a romantic candlelight dinner. martha i hope you did not push the wrong button when you blew the ships horn.

Lorne,

The power failure had to do with a slight "hic-up" as to cooling one of the engines~~merely a safety measure. No, it was not my pushing any buttons ~~I will admit I did enjoy blowing the Pride horn in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean ~~I don't know if the 1st prize was rigged, however~~ it seemed that way, didn't it? I had nothing to do with how the 4 judges decided the winners.....Cheffy Markus was the BIG winner in his white Easter Cheffy hat, I thought. James R. did a fine job fashioning his winning hat~~~Markus took it with him when he departed in Ponta Delgada~~~ to present/give to his love, Rebecca. Didn't we all have fun viewing all the colorful and clever Easter hats? Congratulations to everyone that came and modeled.:p

Finally the sun came out today a'round 3 p.m. after 2 days of ice, sleet and snow! And temp's hoveled a'round freezing! Yikes!:confused:

Martita B.

martha i did not think you broke the ship but with all your highjinks you never know. as far as the easter hat contest it was juged fare i thought sinse you brought the bunny outfit and i wore it. it was only fair that i got third place sinse i did not make it myself and it was not a hat i did have alot of fun sailing with you. i hope you are settling in well back in west texas. from lorne marc ross and jo anne ross

. No, it was not my pushing any buttons ~~I will admit I did enjoy blowing the Pride horn in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean

Martita B.

LOL button button OH that button :D Toon about a place BB really worked :eek:

Grimmy-TheButton.jpg?t=1176204313

* the name was not Norad but The Raven Rock.

lorneross......have you got any photos of yourself in the bunny suit? I am sure we would all love to see the pics of you looking like a rabbit! Did you take photos during your cruise? you havent really told us much about how you enjoyed the cruise or Owners Suite 4! Please write a review on your cruise....from GrannyLorr.:D

ok, take this for what it's worth, but while the blackout may very well have been of an HVAC nature in origin, Magda (Spa) offered the information during my appointment that the cause was the Pride running into a dead whale. :eek:

A bit untidy, as you can imagine.

We asked the 2 maitre d' about it on our last-nite dinner (I'm rotten on keeping these names straight) and while a denial was uttered, the facial expression seemed to indicate otherwise.......;)

Itsally,

Madga told me the same thing~~a dead whale????:confused: Capt'n Rikard and I were later laughing about that poor dead whale! No, it was simply an "engine cooling" matter and the safely mechanism/process kicked in~~~I was in the Sky Bar with Miss A., J.B. and a few others having dinner ~~~right by the fire door!!! Talk about the LOUD noise???? Miss Queeny A. just kept right on eating~~~didn't faze her in the least. The loud noise lasted quite a while~~I think she was irked that no one could hear her talk! ha ha ha We did have a nice moonlight dinner~~~~:p

Martita B.

cruisinmatt the power really did fail it is not an elaborate story. grannylorr i was hoping if anybody took a picture of me in the bunny suit could they post it here as i did not have my camera with me at the time i do have other pictures but i do not know how to get them from my camera onto the boards i am not that computer savy. as far as a review i did post on this thread on page 2 on april 3 sorry grannylorr if you overlooked it. i will sum up again for you we had very rough seas in the owner's suite bouncing around like a mexican jumping bean later on when the ocean calmed down we hosted a nice cocktail party with martha and others the suite is nice but not worth the extra money we enjoyed the cruise very much and would sail again on seabourn we have now been on the top three cruise lines so i will give you a comparision seabourn is the best radission/ regent second and silversea third on seabourn the staff and passangers are the nicest i have ever been with like family. regent is very good but there are more people so the crew do not remember your name or what you like at the bar. the passangers are friendly but a little more private and keep to themselves and i heard a few no's from the crew. we were on the navagitator on a 26 day circle pacific cruise last year in the owner's suite it is much bigger and a butler comes with it but it does not compare to seabourn's servise. in 2001 we did a transatlantic on silversea's silver wind it was just o.k very stuffy passangers and the food was like going to a 3 star hotel the crew seem like they just did not care about anything. we asked to dine with other people and we were told they do not sit people together you have to meet at the bar before dinner and come down as a group but when we went to the bar to meet others nobody wanted to dine with us so we ate alone. so to recap seabourn wins hands down sorry about the long post just trying to cover all my bases i hope this helps grannylorr. thanks again to everybody on the pride you made this the trip of a lifetime from lorne ross and joanne ross if anybody would like to email me with other questions you can reach me at lorneross@ca.rr.com

Peachy,

Please be thinking of our March Pride PLAID ship's event! As we enjoyed the 3 p.m. Easter Bonnet parade in the Club (we didn't disturb reader's up in the Constellation Lounge) this might be an option~~~or invite everyone for cocktails one evening, up in the Constellation Lounge~~~( imagine the hors d'oeuvres ~~"Tickled Pink", they were ALL pink) I favor a cocktail party~~~all the Officer's enjoy coming for a drink and also to mingle and visit with the Guests.....perhaps we should simply "go with this!" We can send out "special party" invitations to everyone or announce it in the daily Herald. HotMan may have a preference. Also, for those Guests that did not know to bring PLAID I will furnish "button/pins" or

ribbons~~~~wadda' 'ya think? Sounds fun to me.....anyone play the bagpipes????:confused:

Lorne~~~have you ever seen the fabulous "Sea Cloud" yacht/ship?

If not, "google it".....we were docked next to her last Christmas in the Caribbean~~~~truly the ultimate in cruising! Originally it was built for Marjorie Merriweather Post (Post family) You and Jo Ann might enjoy this sailing experience! The "Sea Cloud" is a living legend~~~~gorgeous, fabulous yacht! And the owner's suite is UNbelievable~~solid gold appointments, etc. in the bathroom!

Happy Trails and Sails to all

Martita B.

Blackie,

The "HotMan" is the Hotel Manager~~~simply a nickname for him!

The Pride has surely been blessed with fantastic HotMen~~~Guy Sharp, Vitor Alves, Guenther, retired Carlos and many more. They have such a heavy responsibility! I noticed during our Christmas/New Year's sailing Guenther even in the "kitchen" during our evening dinner's~~~their hours are so long.

I was given a gorgeous book of "The Sea Cloud" as a gift a few years ago. I was looking at it the other day~~~that's why I brought up the subject to Lorne~~as interested as he is in ocean voyages and sailings he would love this beautiful book. I was truly intrigued with seeing "her"~~~our Ex. Housekeeper Ursula use to work on "The Sea Cloud"~~~when we were docked by "her" last Dec.,Ursula boarded and visited/had lunch with all her friends. Can we imagine the Post family sailing's??? And all the famous folks aboard?

Blackie, it's been 90 degrees here in West Texas!:confused:

El Nina?

Pinkie

Pinkie,

Do you plug into me or what? I have been thinking about subject event and essentially came to essentially the same conclusion! An afternoon event in The Club would be nice. However, I favor the more intimate Constellation Lounge for a pre-dinner soirée. As you say the Officers are fond of coming down for drinks and chatting before dinner while the "second shift" is drivin' the ship. I would hope you and the HotMan could schedule the event such that those of us who really enjoy dining at the 7:30 pm hosted tables for dinner and attend the wonderful after dinner shows in the Magellan Lounge would have time for a nice visit before venturing off into the night.

I think having ribbons for those unaware of the "uniform of the evening" will make them feel like part of the group! If Cheffy and his talented assistants can provide PLAID hors d'oeuvres, that would be worth cost of the crossing alone! I prefer a printed invitation delivered to my door like the "Hat Contest" as opposed to a blurb in the Herald At Sea. Actually, I have a friend that plays the bagpipes but, unfortunately for us, her getting away from work for the crossing would be impossible. She is the choral director at the high school where she teaches and she is getting her show choirs ready to go on the road and compete against other choirs in the springtime.

Let the scheming and dreaming begin! :D

Peachy,

I agree as to the special ship's party being in the Constellation. I've hosted many a fun party/affair in the beautiful room~~a few years we had such rough seas it was hard to stand up! I'll never forget the "thank you" from Captain Leif, saying "Marta please always invite my Officer's as they do so enjoy attending parties with all the lovely Guests and fellow Officer's and Staff!" So I always have the hard working Officer's on my invitation list's.

We can easily request Seabourn invites to each Guest. Set the time as to 6:30 p.m. allowing plenty of time for those who dine at 7:30. (we dine at 8:10 p.m. unless accepting a hosted table) I will order cute PLAID ribbon's for lapels~~button/pins for the entire ship gets a 'lit expensive (I took 386 "Tickled Pink" buttons last year. Everyone on the ship Pridefully wore one! From the Bridge down to the Boiler room~~)

We'll try and get the word out as to "special" clothing the Guests will enjoy wearing to the party.

Lots of time to dream and scheme~~~~:p

Pinkie

Please don't serve HAGGIS!!!! :eek: Granny will be there!! :D I have been thinking *plaid* for the last two days......haven't really come up with any ideas yet, but will have to be something I can wear during the prior 72 days as well.....wont be any room in the luggage just for "extras" might have to go home and get out the sewing machine......

lorneross....sorry I missed your first "review" but just read your second and I am glad you enjoyed the cruise.......the bed in the Owners Suite 4 must have been like a trampoline in those rough seas!! :eek: Well I'm sure if anyone had any pics of you looking like a bunny, they would have posted them in here by now....what a shame, I am sure we are all very disappointed. :( Suppose not EVERYONE reads Cruise Critics!

is this lorneross?

rabbits_001.gif.289e9d89e2ed2dfab5e320149a667970.gif

Lorne~~~have you ever seen the fabulous "Sea Cloud" yacht/ship?

If not, "google it".....we were docked next to her last Christmas in the Caribbean~~~~truly the ultimate in cruising! Originally it was built for Marjorie Merriweather Post (Post family) You and Jo Ann might enjoy this sailing experience! The "Sea Cloud" is a living legend~~~~gorgeous, fabulous yacht! And the owner's suite is UNbelievable~~solid gold appointments, etc. in the bathroom!

Happy Trails and Sails to all

Martita B.

Martha, do they have a "po folks deck" on Sea Cloud for the poor old grannies of this World? ;)

Archived