Pride 3/2007 Passage to Portugal Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Part II

228121-R1-00-00A_001.jpg

Ross's "Tea Party" JoAnne, Alene, Lorne, Martha B. & John B.

228121-R1-23-22A_024.jpg

3 pirates on the sofa: Pirate Pajama party Mary B., Jim, Don

228121-R1-21-20A_022.jpg

John Black standing to the left~~Alene & James sitting on sill.

Hopefully BB got all names correct :p

Blackie Bird,

I thought I saw you coming out of the Crew Bar one evening~~~

Great snapshots! The Ross's "Tea Party" was lovely.....very well done in perfect "English style!" Food was magnificent with the Bar Manager offering any/all drinks. A fun group of Sailor's attended.

Cutie Aurelie was so pleased when I presented her my Easter Bonnet and boots~~~I wanted her to be "decked out" for the Crew's Easter party~~~J.B. and I gave our Pirate costumes to Ivana (Bartender) She looked adorable wearing the rhinestone eyepatch!

And J.B.'s Pirate Pajama "affair" was a big success~~why folks like to get up, get dressed in silly ridiculous costumes and head to a party at 10:30 in the morning is a mystery to me~~~guess we all like to "recapture our youth" on the ocean!

Have a great and safe weekend!:p

Pinkie

Greetings Paul, Grannylorr, Martha, Blackie Bird, Lorne, Joanne, Rene', Lola, Other Paul, CrusinMatt, Marja, Itsally,Leslie, Dee (& John), George & Janet and all Seabourn Pride cruisers.......

What a great introduction you have given me to the Seabourn Pride! I travel alone, and will be on the Pride for the March, 2008 crossing. You all have created a wonderful picture in my mind of the "Seabourn Family".

This will be my first Seabourn cruise, and my third T/A crossing. I joined CC in February before my Oceania Regatta crossing on March 23. It was quite rough at first, also. CC members on that cruise had a group photo (about 40 people), and a meet and greet. As I do travel alone, getting to know other CC members made a big difference. Other cruise lines I've enjoyed are Celebrity, Orient's Marco Polo, Princess, HAL Zaandam in October, 2007, and in December, 2007, Regent Seven Seas Mariner....New Zealand to Los Angeles. I prefer the smaller ships, and found Carnival in 1997 much too glitzy (my first cruise and it nearly put me off cruising!), and NCL Crown had the worst food I have ever encountered. Those two lines and the Mega ships are off my list. Who needs a stinkin' rock wall or skating rink....

I'm anxious to try Seabourn and will bring something "plaid" for the cruise, just in case I'm invited. I loved the slideshow, Paul and Marja - although I have high speed I couldn't download the upgrade (as Itsally mentioned).

I'll look forward to next March....and thanks, again. Jini

Ms. J,

Welcome to Seabourn Cruise Line! Yes, Pinkie, Martita and Martha are the same person; our Grand Dame of the CC Seabourn Messge Board! And thank you for your kind words! :)

I predict you will have a grand time on the March 2008 Pride crossing. There will be fellow solo sailors on the crossing and Seabourn takes great care of solo sailors by insuring that, for example, you are invited to a hosted table for dinner essentially every night. You simply accept or decline and no problem if you decline. I personaly love the hosted tables because you meet so many interesting people and have made life-long friends and we sail together on future cruises!

All of us (passengers, staff and officers) ARE family on Seabourn! I and others have posted this numerous times on this forum and it is not hype, especaially the crossings becuase we are a captive audience and not distracted by a lot of port calls so we all bond together. This hit me like a ton-of-bricks while embarking on my second Legend crossing in 2003. While standing in line at the Ling Olav Lounge to check in, I saw so many friends and familiar faces and we were greeting each other with hugs and kisses that I said to myself, this is going to be an 11 night family reunion! :D This is what a Trans-Atlantic crossing on Seabourn is to me. So many loyal repeaters year after year makes it a grand party. Of course, new Seabourn family members are always welcome!

I must warn you though Jini, in lesss than a week, most sailors become addicted to Seabourn — and there is no drug or therapy to cure it except take more Seabourn cruises.

Ask any and all questions you may have. There are many Seabourn Sailors who post here that, as a group, are experts in all aspects of the Seaboourn Experience and some are even crossing afficionados as well.

Bon voyage and hoping King Neptune rewards us with blue skies, calm seas and gentle breezes for the White Castle Pride's March 2008 crossing. :)

P. S. I see Blackbird has beat me to the post again! ;)

Peachy,

What a lovely and accurate description of our "World Infamous T.A. Crossing's!" It is truly a large "family reunion!" And as you so wisely posted, "solo sailor's" are never solo! I have friends here in West Texas that ask me, "Oh, how do you go on those long cruises by yourself???" Ha ha ha I answer, "Well, I'm not alone~~I cruise with 83 best friends!" (then after 12 days at sea, the group grows to 206) yes, one suite is always vacant

We'll start plottin' and schemin' as to our parties/events and "affairs" for March 2008. Think: PLAID

Have a fun, safe weekend!

Pinkie

Hi, Paul, Pinkie (aka Martita) and blackbird....

You're the best and it will be a pleasure to know you.

I have been trying out a varierty of cruise lines for the past two years. In 2006, 4 cruises, in 2007, I will be cruising 5 times and then the Pride Crossing in March, 2008. The reason why I'm doing this so close together is to sample the different lines while I have assistants in both my jobs that can handle things as if I were there. I also have 4 small girl doggies and one of my assistants and her husband stay at my house while I am gone to take care of the dogs. I own a housecleaning service in San Diego, and my second job is Director of an emergency food bank, which provides food and other emergency services to the community. I'm taking as many cruises as I can afford, while I have the help in both jobs. Until I encountered you all I had little knowledge (except brochures, etc.) of Seabourn. I recently sailed with Oceania, and one of the CC members there said I would like Seabourn - His name is John from L.A.

What drove me to Seabourn was the all-inclusive status. When I tallied my last cruise's bar bill on Oceania (as well as the one Celebrity), I will be paying a little less on Seabourn...and simplify the whole cruise. The only other all-inclusive I'm taking is this December, 2007 on Regent from New Zealand to Los Angeles on the Mariner.

Seabourn sounds like a perfect fit for me. Does anyone know how the single supplement is calculated? I read a post about former SB cruisers that were single did not get the same % off. The single supplement can be a big chunk for me.

Thanks so much for enlightening me. All the best - Jini

Jini,

The secret of booking a single is to book as early as possible! I try to book at least one year in advance....a few booking's I have now were made 2 yrs ago. Solo sailor's use to be able to book a "Run Of The Ship" for 110%~~few of those now exit. Once in awhile my Travel Agent will call and give me "good news" as to a booking I've requested. It certainly helps to have a knowledgeable/intelligent

Travel Agent.

Hope this helps.

MB

Jini,

Pinkie is absolutely correct about booking early to get the best Single Run Of Ship (SROS) tariff and using the services of a knowledgeable TA. I will explain why later.

Seabourn has a good singles program. The SROS are cabins that can be booked for sole occupancy at 125 and 150% times the per person double occupancy “A” category fare. If these suites have already been booked, then you can book a specific A through B3 suite at 175% times the per person double occupancy fare of the suite booked. These suites are capacity controlled, filled on a first come first booked basis and vary by ship & sailing. If none of these single savings opportunities are available, sole occupancy of a double suite is 200% times the per person double occupancy fare. Of course, Seabourn reserves the right to refuse selling suites at less than the stated capacity.

Pinkie recruited me for the March Pride crossing and I booked it 10 months and 3 weeks before sailing. All SROS were already booked so I booked the A1 suite 129 on deck 4 amidships at 175%. A week later I booked the March 2008 Pride crossing 22 months and 2 weeks before sailing and got a 150% SROS. For the November 2007 and 2008 Legend westbound crossing, I was able to book on the first day bookings opened for these cruises (18 months before sailing) and nailed the 125% SROS on both. Paul’s Axiom: You snooze (procrastinate), you pay more for your cruise or may not even get the category or sailing you really want.

I have always been a big fan of using the services of a knowledgeable TA for their advice, insight, contacts, influence and preventing you from doing something stupid travel-wise. A week before embarking on the Pride, my TA called and said I have good news — you have been upgraded to a balcony suite 216! I was on cloud nine! That suite is immediately aft of the forward stairwell and perfect for getting around the ship. Although it was a bit bouncier up there the first 4 days, that had no impact on my enthusiasm or enjoyment of the crossing. :D

Hope this helps you understand Seabourn’s solo sailor cruise pricing and the need to plan ahead.

Note from another single cruiser :) I did not know you could do this on my last cruise, grrr, but you can book onboard for an extra %5 off. If you do not have a cruise in mind, you can put a deposit down on a "future cruise" and get the 5% off when you find a cruise you like.

PS I will be getting off the Mariner as you get on. I am on the cruise before you. Fingers cross that the Railroad Fairies keep me in money. :)

• 1 month later...

thank you blackbird71 for posting our tea party picture. sorry i did not post a reply sooner i was in a bike acceident in moab utah and i was in the hospital for a month with a head injury i am slowy recovering from lorne

lorne,

Am so sorry to hear of your accident. I have wondered where you have been~~~wishing you a most speedy recovery.

And thanks again for hosting such a lovely afternoon tea social!

It was lovely and was enjoyed by all who attended.

Take good care and get well soon!:p

Pinkie the Cowgirl

Matt

At the luncheon in the dining room the day I presented my Easter

hat and pink cowboy boots to Auralie was quite a 'lit ceremony!

As we all know, Missy Auralie's dining room "skills" are unsurpassed! I believe both she and Leeanne will someday become Seabourn Maitre'D's~~~! Both so personable and charming.

I look forward to seeing them both this year!

Hope all is well with you down in Southern Florida:p

Here is a cute story about Auralie - one night she came and took our dessert order as our waiter (Cezary) was swamped. My mom didn't feel like any dessert, but I ordered the cheese platter. My mom told her that she would just have some of the nuts form my cheese tray. Well in the typical Seabourn style, she brought a nice tray of assorted nuts for my mom.

I agree - she will be a full fledged Maitre' before we know it!

thank you martha and cruiseinmatt for your get well wishes. we did have a grand tea party i hope all is well with the both of you. since i am at home in bed recouvering we are trying to decide which seabourn cruise to go on next so many to choose from i am getting a headache no pund intended.

Archived