Day 1 - Caves, Telescope and ???

felixdacat

My wife and I are flying in at 9AM.

Originally we were just going to take a cab to the hotel, drop our bags off and then hit Old San Juan till we could check in.

But we just got the Sheraton OSJ thru Pricekine for our last night in P.R., so we're now thinking that we should do the out of town exploring right away.

I'm guessing that the Caverns (my wife's must see) is about 90 minutes to 2 hours drive from the airport. Then we can head to the Observatory (my must see) on the way back.

Any other must sees in North west P.R.? Any beaches or bays with views? Any perfect lunch places?

So driving time alone is 3-4 hours. Is there a rush hour in San Juan that I need to avoid? If yes, what time does it start?

I'll look through other threads for car rental information. It would be great if I can return the rental in Isla de Verde that same evening.

Appreciate any advice.

FX

OK - you arrive at 9 a.m. - won't be out of the airport (if you rent a car) until about 10:30 or later.... due to baggage claim area (they are slow!) and the process of renting your car..... so figure 11:00 you will be on the road.

Also......do a websearch for Aricebo Observatory.... we were going to visit during our trip to PR but THEY HAVE REALLY WEIRD VISITING HOURS.... and if you can't do the tour there really isnt much to see. So just be sure they will be open on the day and at the time you will be planning on stopping.

Traffic in San Juan is like any other big city.... freeways and traffic jams. They get off at 5:00 like everybody else. AND THEY DRIVE VERY FAST !!

Glad to be of help.... we too had planned on visiting Aricebo but found they were only open some days and then weird hours.... didnt work out at all for us. Oh well - next trip.

We stayed at the El Convento in Old San Juan and loved it ! Both the hotel and the old part of San Juan. Like stepping back in time. They have really been working to restore the approximately 15 square blocks that make up old San Juan.

We flew in on Thanksgiving afternoon....so just walked a bit before dark. Had dinner at the hotel - El Picoteo. It is a tapas bar (restaurant - don't know why they call it a bar) in the courtyard of the hotel. Nice at night with lights in the trees and candles etc. Food was very good. Also had lunch there as our friends flew in the next day and arrived starving at lunchtime so we just ate there again.... no problem. We also had dinner at Pamelas that night....in Ocean Park area at Numero Uno Guesthouse. Came very highly recommended and we were not disappointed. Was really the best meal of the whole 10 day trip :) We also had breakfast at La Bombonera and I cannot stress enough that you must get up and walk over to this 100+ year old bakery/diner and eat breakfast !!! A short stroll from the Sheraton. The entire front window is full of fresh baked pastries. YUMMMMM Try a mallorca (ham & cheese !) and their coffee is their own..... they grow it, roast it and brew it !

Not sure if you like trying some of the local nightlife but there are a couple of neat clubs the locals use right in old San Juan. We had taken salsa lessons for a few months before we left so wanted to head to a salsa club. We had a blast. Rhumba club had a 7 piece salsa band with saxaphones and more.... the locals really showed us how to do it too ! They did invent the salsa.....

We never made it out of town.... had a car rented for a picnic/hike to El Yunque but even though it was only gray in town....our concierge told us there were big storms in the mountains (which is where the rainforest is) so we had to cancel. Another good reason for = next trip :D

But there was more than enough to keep up busy for 2-1/2 days right in old San Juan. We did not head to the ship until late afternoon (Serenade sails at 10 pm on Saturdays) as El Convento will hold your luggage for you at no charge.

Have a great trip !!! I am jealous.

HAHA ... just went to the link.... read some of his stuff.. the hotel is called El Convento not Gran Convento.... and was built in the 1500's not the 1700's. But I do agree with his review of the ceviche and the calamari at El Picoteo..... melt in your mouth.... anyway.... some of his stuff is wrong but mostly good info.....

Archived