Who would you book your 1st cruise with?

NC66

Hi! I'm new here. We are thinking about taking a cruise and I've heard that Disney is great for first time cruises. We are a family of 3 (Mom -40, Dad -41, and daughter-9 years old). I have no experience with cruises at all and was wondering who does everyone book there Disney Cruise through? I've been trying to do some research and booking through Disney seems more expensive, but I'm not sure. I was looking at some of the other cruise booking sites, but I just don't want to run into any problems. Any recommendations? :)

Hi! I'm new here. We are thinking about taking a cruise and I've heard that Disney is great for first time cruises. We are a family of 3 (Mom -40, Dad -41, and daughter-9 years old). I have no experience with cruises at all and was wondering who does everyone book there Disney Cruise through? I've been trying to do some research and booking through Disney seems more expensive, but I'm not sure. I was looking at some of the other cruise booking sites, but I just don't want to run into any problems. Any recommendations? :)

Disney is higher than most of the mass market lines but I loved it and would do it again.

If this is your first cruise maybe you should book with a cruise only agency although booking directly wouldn't hurt either.

As for recommendations of specific agencies we aren't allowed to mention names of agencies or agents on this forum.

Bill

The advertised price you see sometimes does not include, all of the fees. On the Disney website, the cost is the entire package. That includes, port charges and taxes, transfers to and from Orlando International Airport, and the necessary travel insurance. You'll also hear about ways to save money, and there are. Just be careful and compare apples to apples. Disney as the travel agent, also cruises with you! Metrowon

We are doing our first cruise and its with Disney. I wanted family friendly and I appreciate the good service we get at WDW so hoping it extends to their ships. I used a travel agent and the price for the cruise was the same as if I'd bought directly with DCL but the TA gave us on board ship credit - so extra money ($75) to spend on the ship which is cool. That might be a prime thing to look for with a TA - how much on board credit they offer as well as of course, their reputation, etc.

I booked my 3day/4sea package through AAA and have no problems. My TA does all the calling and checking with Disney and emails me the answers. I had to move our dates back one month and she handled everything. We are flying from CA and are arriving one day early and staying at a less expensive WDW resort for 1 night to unwind and adjust to the different time, then hitting the park in the am. She handled the reservation, let both resorts and cruise we needed a crib, got connecting rooms for the 5 of us. I have never had a bad experience with AAA and almost always I have saved money.

I booked my 3day/4sea package through AAA and have no problems. My TA does all the calling and checking with Disney and emails me the answers. I had to move our dates back one month and she handled everything. We are flying from CA and are arriving one day early and staying at a less expensive WDW resort for 1 night to unwind and adjust to the different time, then hitting the park in the am. She handled the reservation, let both resorts and cruise we needed a crib, got connecting rooms for the 5 of us. I have never had a bad experience with AAA and almost always I have saved money.

That's good but is Disney onboard with you?

Bill

Our first Disney cruise was booked with a local TA and she did fine. The second Disney cruise I booked directly with DCL and that worked out great. After having done both, I liked booking directly with DCL on their web site. Even the few times that I needed to speak directly with a DCL rep. on the phone went without any problems. It was my preference to be the one in charge of all of the arrangements. Of course if something had gone wrong with the second cruise I knew who to send complaints to -- nobody but myself! Maybe I could have put the blame on DH -- "Why did YOU let me do that?" LOL But, everything did turn out great - so I will take all of the credit! :)

Especially with a child, Disney is a great cruise line. It is a little more expensive than most middle line cruises, but they do things the Disney way. After Disney, I would give Princess a try. Less expensive, still good children's programs, and a great cruise experience.

In terms of who to book with, do a search and find a company you feel comfortable with. As long as you get the confirmation number for your cruise and check your credit card that the cruise is charged to the cruise line, you should be in good shape. I have used several on line agencies over the years to book my cruise.

Enjoy.

Our first three cruises were with Disney.

We did a 4-day park and 3-day cruise package the first time with two kids under 5. By the time we got to the cruise, we were exhausted. We did love it though, so turned around and booked a 4 day cruise the next year. That was awesome, so we turned right around and booked a 7 dayfor the next February. We paid abou $1000 extra on the 7-day to have a balcony, but I wish we wouldn't have. The inside cabins were adequate.

Long story short, we are taking our tenth family cruise next week. We have been on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess and Costa. Disney was the best. It is definately worth the premium, especially if you have kids under 10.

Don't even hesitate! Go Disney the first time around! Nothing else will compare.

We have definately learned to book our own cruises, using reputable online cruise discounters and booking as far inadvance as possible. Read these boards and plan your shore excursions yourself. It's easier than you think and can save you big $$!

Archived