Coughing up a lung on the plane

Does anyone else think that the SICK people who get on airplanes should wear some kind of face mask so the rest of us don't get sick!!!!?

The plane to Miami and Back...each time there was someone sitting directly in front of me that was hacking up a lung....and yes, I got sick...for over 2 weeks!

Does anyone else think that the SICK people who get on airplanes should wear some kind of face mask so the rest of us don't get sick!!!!?

The plane to Miami and Back...each time there was someone sitting directly in front of me that was hacking up a lung....and yes, I got sick...for over 2 weeks!

I was thinking more on the lines of wearing my own mask. I take Airborne for a week before I fly. My daughter got so sick on the plane last year before our cruise. She didn't get out of bed.

The joys of public transport...

Actually the solution is to probably do what many Chinese people do (very popular with those from Hong Kong) - if it bothers you enough. It is not uncommon for Hong Kong Chinese to wear a face mask for their own protection - i.e. to stop them from catching other people's germs. It became a trend when the SARS epidemic broke out, but has been quite popular since (with Bird Flu and pretty much anything else). It actually makes some sense: often you do not know people have illnesses (infact, they often don't know) until some time into the illness - the only way to attempt to avoid it is to safeguard yourself (instead of quaranteening them in their own homes if they have the common cold).

The mother-in-law offered to bring us back a load of face masks (she is Chinese and lives in Hong Kong), but we declined the offer. Might appeal to some of the posters on these boards though (see the cabin disinfectant thread...) :).

I look forward to seeing lot so people in surgical masks on my next RCCL cruise ;)

Boo

It stinks. Keep washing your hands! I work in a school, and it is amazing to me how many kids are sent to school sick or given a huge dose of medication, and you know it doesn't last all day. I am around germs all the time.

Amazingly, I don't get sick that often because of the great immunities I've built up.

I do think I am OCD when it comes to washing my hands though.:o

On my International flight last year I wore a mask I bought at the drug store before we left. I also took Airborne and Emergen-C. My husband refused to do this and he got sick as soon as we got home. I did not.

The lady behind us had a terrible cough and coughed the whole time we were in flight.

On my International flight last year I wore a mask I bought at the drug store before we left. I also took Airborne and Emergen-C. My husband refused to do this and he got sick as soon as we got home. I did not.

The lady behind us had a terrible cough and coughed the whole time we were in flight.

I know that I make people uncomfortable on a plane or even in church because of my terrible sounding cough. It's leftover from my smoking days. I quit smoking 11 years ago but my lungs were damaged. I'm not sick but I cough a lot. I hate it but have to live with it. I'm very self concious about it . Maybe I should wear a mask just to make others feel safer? It's a thought.

My son lives in a tiny quad room on a big university campus. He's been coughing terribly for 2 months. Bad cough illnesses going around this winter. I have noticed it has gotten better since he's home for spring break. It's all over.

I was thinking more on the lines of wearing my own mask. I take Airborne for a week before I fly. My daughter got so sick on the plane last year before our cruise. She didn't get out of bed.

If it was a cold, she quite possibly had it before she ever set foot on the plane. A common cold can take 3-7 days after exposure to start feeling the symptoms. Unfortunately, there are so many myths surrounding the common cold, most of it is misinformation.

There has been some promising results from coating the inside of the nasal passages with vaseline type products, or Zicam, before a flight that can help you avoid exposure. The coating can block the virus from entering your system. All the vitamin C in the world (Emergen-C, AirBorne, things like that) won't prevent a cold and will not cure it. I've been reading and experienced personally that zinc (like in Zicam) can help shorten the life of a cold. Coating your nasal passages won't help if you touch a doorknob orr a counter top that is infested with viral germs and then you put your fingers in your eyes or mouth.

So a mask is a good idea, it can help keep the virus from entering your nasal passages from airborne particles, as well as a coating in the nose. Keeping your hands washed is only as good as how clean your surroundings are and the little cold virus germs are unfortunately invisible to the naked eye. So, not only wash your hands, but keep them out of your eyes, nose and mouth! There is absolutely no way to totally prevent a cold from happening, everyone eventually gets them. Some may only be lucky enough to have a cold every few years.

It really is too bad that people will go out in public when they are spreading germs to share, but I think we've all been guilty of doing just that, most of the time before we even realize that we're coming down with a cold or flu.

I use neosporin in my nose before our flights and wipe down the tray with antibacterial wipes. DH thinks I am crazy, but he always comes home from a cruise and then a few days later, comes down with a cold, while I stay well (unless I catch it from him!:mad: )

It's a miracle that we didn't catch a virus from the lady behind us that was passing gas (on our last flight.) It was really, really bad! :eek:

I have not been over to the "other" thread, however I do sanitize our staterooms and check for bed bugs. :D

It's a miracle that we didn't catch a virus from the lady behind us that was passing gas (on our last flight.) It was really, really bad! :eek:

Isn't that on a par with "getting pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat"?

Boo

Flying in the back of an airplane can make you sick. Happened to me a few years back. We had seats in the next to last row. After about an hour my throat was getting dry/scratchy, there were fumes from the bathroom and who knows what else. I felt bad for about a month after that.

I will never ever fly in the back of an airplane again.

I go out of my way to choose a seat at the back of the plane. I've been doing that nearly every month since last June. I use the rest room at the back, as soon as I board the plane, so that I won't have to get up during the flight. People are always coughing around me. Yes, even a women in front of me kept passing horrible gas on my way to MSY that smelled worse than the odor coming from the bathroom on my return to MIA.

I've done all my cruising since March 2004 and a girl threw up right at the breakfast table the first morning of the first breakfast of the first cruise. :)

It's been 5 years and 1 month and still counting since I've had a cold. I've had not so much as a nose trickle or post nasal drip. :D Of course I have no germy little kids or grandkids at home either. That helps.

I do tend to adjust my contacts with my own finger and nibble on my nails just going through the motions but not actually biting the nail off. But I do wash my hands and use a paper towel to open the bathroom door while using public restrooms.

I think I must just be lucky.

I know that I make people uncomfortable on a plane or even in church because of my terrible sounding cough. It's leftover from my smoking days. I quit smoking 11 years ago but my lungs were damaged. I'm not sick but I cough a lot. I hate it but have to live with it. I'm very self concious about it . Maybe I should wear a mask just to make others feel safer? It's a thought.

Grammy, I feel for you. My mom quit smoking when she was around 40. She is 72 now and has suffered with COPD (chronic bronchitis) for the last 10 years or so. She used to have a terrible cough but now that she is being treated for the COPD it is much better although she still has spells. Of course you do not need to wear a mask to make others feel better but please do keep an eye on it and I urge you to make sure you have a good Pulmonologist if you do not already. It could mean the difference between a longer life and a better quality of life!

Hi everyone

DH used to be sick for most of the winter right up until we started using a product which is actually endorsed by the NHL, they claim that it keeps them on the ice. It is manufactured in Canada and I'm not sure if I mention the name that it is against the CC rules.

It is a highly potent form of Ginseng and boosts the immune system. It has recently been endorsed by Health Canada. All we know is that it works and we have not been seriously sick for a couple of years. For DH who flies every single week that is saying something.

If you want to know the name....Don Cherrie endorses it for the company.

We also carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer and use it.

Stay healthy!

Dee

I think it is terrible that people don't have that amount of common courtesy to try and not spread their germs. I always take a Sudafed before I fly just so I don't get all filled from the pressure. You'd think if someone was actually sick they'd do that same. But then again, that is prolly the same person who does not use their blinker, takes 20 items in the 12 item or less line in the grocery store, and comes to the Dining Room 20 minutes late.

Isn't that on a par with "getting pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat"?

Boo

That's close to what I was thinking. Has anyone ever caught a virus or other illness from breathing flatulence fumes? I know it's extremely disgusting but I didn't think that viruses could live in the gas. I can understand getting sick from the diaper deposits that sometimes get in the pools on the ships but that is a completely different form of illness than the common cold.

That's close to what I was thinking. Has anyone ever caught a virus or other illness from breathing flatulence fumes?

You never know! ;)

Some of them are SOOO bad that it sure seems there could be some sort of viral infested, invisible molecules floating around in them.

I think the intent of that poster was to be very funny. If not, it WAS very funny. I got it! :eek:

From my family's own recent, month-long, experience with sickness, I'll say that DH had a nasty cough that went LONG after he was actually sick. Just b/c you're coughing doesn't mean you're still throwing germs around.

And the flatulence stuff...it really seemed like this recent thing that was going around had a bit of rotavirus in it, which has a very distinctive odor that it causes. So extremely smelly gas could definitely indicate the presence of that virus in the body.

Man that was an evil bug that was going around...started off like a normal cold, you get rid of it, have a day or two of "oh hey I feel better", then whammo, what seemed like rotavirus. Gack. Awful.

Is it? :D Well, really. Sometimes I've thought a closepin would be more effective than a mask. Or maybe a cork for the offender.

I don't think you want to use a cork... remember what pressure does to the cork on a bottle of champagne!!! Just imaging the amount of pressure some people have built up in... well, you know! :rolleyes: It might blast a hole through the hull and sink the ship!!! :eek:

YES, I was only kidding about catching something from the gassy lady behind us. lol :D However, if she did have a stomach flu (you just can't imagine how bad the gas was,) I guess we could have been exposed somehow. She was just in front of us while getting our baggage and let out a few more "signs" that she was not well. :rolleyes: I'm telling you that it was awful! So bad, that I almost threw up. A clothes pin would have been very handy, as I held my nose most of the trip.

Maybe the airlines should take a page from the cruise line's book. Have little sanitizing hand stations before and after you get off the plane.
Great idea!

I don't think you want to use a cork... remember what pressure does to the cork on a bottle of champagne!!! Just imaging the amount of pressure some people have built up in... well, you know! :rolleyes: It might blast a hole through the hull and sink the ship!!! :eek:

You mean it will blast a hole in the side of the plane, causing depressurization and all the oxygen masks will fall out - a welcome relief. :p

Archived