Upgrades upon boarding

SoCalGal

I was just reading a couple of other posts and read where this couple was automatically upgraded from CC to a Sky Suite after they boarded. Does that happen often and if it does how does that work? We have never been offered an upgrade for free, sure would be nice though. :)

I don't even care about free. What about cheap upgrades?

Can you walk aboard and buy upgraded cabins for, say, a couple of hundred pp for the trip (as opposed to the website where....sure you can upgrade, but it's a few hundred pp, per day)

You can do a upsell at the cruise terminal. Free upgrades aren't happening much anymore, so if you get one, you're extremely lucky. What you can do is find out up an upsell, where you pay for a higher category cabin. I was standing in line to check in for a Summit cruise when the couple in front of me wanted to upgrade to a Royal Suite from a Sky Suite and the person told them it was an additional $1200 per person. This was a 14 day Canal cruise, and they decided against it.

I must have just hit the jackpot. We originally booked Cabin 7003 on the Constellation sailing on April 2. Over the weekend, I noticed that the Celebrity website was offering guaranteed verandahs for less than I was paying so we switched over to the guaranteed cabin. We were so excited to find that they assigned to a CC cabin and we're getting back money. Goes to show you that rules can be broken.

I'm watching for that kind of thing to happen as well.

I already feel a bit cheated in that in waiting for my wife's daughter to decide on taking the cruise with us, the final price for our outside cabin went up by almost $400. So if I can get a better cabin closer to the cruise date for either the same money or a negligible additional amount, I'll certainly be all over it!

We were upgraded to a CC cabin from a regular balcony on the Constellation last May (Baltic). We thought they had initially made an error when the cruise docs came and the cabin number was different. We had picked out a paricular cabin almost a year prior while on the Constellation and I was worried about the location of the new cabin. It was great! Midship 2 doors away from the elevators. The only downside was that there was a window washing aparatus between our cabin and the one next door, but it really was insignificant. We loved that cabin! It was a total surprise. We are again on the Constellation next month, our third time on her (transatlantic), but no upgrade as the ship is full and that may have been our one lucky thing to happen to us. So, upgrades do happen.

Joyce and Randy

We were upgraded for free from 2B to 1B (now CC) balcony cabin on 14 night Summit cruise in 2003.

Upgraded to CC balcony from Deluxe Balcony on 13 night W/C Alaska cruise on Summit in 2005 for $130 total cost--$10 per day. Inquired after boarding and was put on wait list. Got a call at 9 pm that I could chose between two CC cabins.

Was in AFT CC 8185 on last cruise and did not want to be moved anywhere.

We've had some success with upgrades and found that it pays to keep calling the cruiseline monthly just to see if any price decreases or deals are availiable for our booking.We almost always rebook our next cruise while onboard ship to take advantage of the onboard credit plus we are able to change our cruise at anytime if something else interests us.But we always book an oceanview cabin at first.My last four cruises with X were all upgraded to a balcony or a CC cabin for no extra cost at the oceanview cabin booking price.When a deal pops up or we see a price decrease we have our TA call for the info.We have found that many of the deals don't last a week.Some of them only a few days.But just like the guarrentee bookings sometimes they appear and disappear.We had two upgrades for the same cruise last year on Constellation only because when we called Celebrity we found that there was another deal availiable that was unadvertised but was there for the taking.

Archived