Rhine River Cruise for Daughter and Mom

lisanottina

I have never been on a river cruise before and am planning one with my mother (who is 73) on the Rhine River. I would love any input from past cruisers on what cruise line to take, the best time to travel, how to dress, etc.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

Regarding river cruises it´s not the question which line to take. All are more or less the same level (except Deilmann and Sea Cloud which are more upscale). First thing is check out the itineraries of each cruise line (order the brochures online). They might differ regarding the shore stops. Then check the included tours (some include them all, some lines do have optional tours you have to pay for). Then check the other amenities of the ships (do you like a pool? do you like included wine for dinner?..). A Rhine river cruise should include a side trip on the Moselle river up to Trier. The best time of the year for a river cruise are May/June or Mid-September til Mid-October (unless you want to do a Christmas market cruise, but in that case I´d suggest the Danube river). Dress code on river cruises is casual.

steamboats

Steamboats gave very good advice. Thus in addition:

If you like to have a boat with pool and want to use it, you should consider a cruise in Summer. Spring and Autumn can be too cold.

You should also consider if you want to have an all American ship (like Avalon) or like to enhance the European experience on board of an European ship with international guest (like Deilmann).

Most ships have formal or semi-formal night, too. Casual should not be interpreted as t-shirt and shorts etc.

Deilmann for example states: "In the evening, dress is semi formal (shirt and tie for the man, casual elegance for the lady). On two formal nights dark suit and cocktail dresses are recommended."

Yes, Deilmann is a bit more upscale than the US companies and so is the dress code for dinner. With Deilmann usually no jeans or t-shirts for dinner (and of course no shorts, but shorts aren´t very common in Europe anyway). "Cocktail Dress", I haven´t seen one on my cruise. Black slacks and a nice dressy top (like a silk blouse or something with a bit of glitter) will do it perfectly. Suits and ties for men.

Take care of good, comfortable walking shoes for the shore tours. You´ll need them on our cobblestones!

steamboats

• 1 month later...

Lisa,:) Last year I took my 78 year old Mom on the Viking Sun in the Spring. We had a grand time eventhough there is some rough walking in many of the little towns. On the tours some travelers ask that they have a slower walking group,which they were willing to provide. It was good for those who had trouble walking & also great for us other folks who wanted to move along.

The dress at dinner was more resort casual than dressy.

You & your Mom should love traveling that part of the world ---- Beckaj :)

Archived