To Those Who Don't Like Cruising During Spring Break

mikeyg0

When did 30's get "old" :eek:

Have a great time on springbreak. That's why I am going JUST after springbreak on RCCL FOS...like you said...the more expensive the cruise, the least likely it is to have a bunch of spring breakers. :p :D

I'll be back to Carnival when everyone returns to college at the end of August. lol

Wife and I are in our late 30's and are choosing to go at this time of year. We have cruised other times and there were just too many old people. It makes for a boring cruise. I personally would rather see drunk college kids enjoying themselves than the boring, rude, grumpy older crowd we have been with before. The inconsiderate elderly are far more offensive to me than people having fun.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

When did 30's get "old" :eek:

Have a great time on springbreak. That's why I am going JUST after springbreak on RCCL FOS...like you said...the more expensive the cruise, the least likely it is to have a bunch of spring breakers. :p :D

I'll be back to Carnival when everyone returns to college at the end of August. lol

I think 30 got "old" when my fiance started receiving Medicare applications, retirement information from the Social Security Administration, and applications for the AARP around 33! What a blow to his ego! He says that he'll probably be getting coffin catalogs in the mail when he turns 40 in 4 years! :)

I don't think any age is "old". Age is a state of mind, at least until your joints start aching and your bones start breaking! :D

The bars on cruise ships serve alcohol at age 21, HOWEVER upon entering international waterways there is no "legal" age restriction to drinking.

Therefore a 17 year old who is completely drunk cannot be arrested, the most that can happen is having the parents contacted.

Yes, there are some people aboard cruises that have the intention of drinking past any kind of "beneficial" point. Personally I have witnessed sloshed adults, young adults, and teens from the age of 13 or 14 and up.

There is nothing wrong with a drink but the drink isn't the one yelling all over the ship or throwing up in the elevator.;)

The bars on cruise ships serve alcohol at age 21, HOWEVER upon entering international waterways there is no "legal" age restriction to drinking.

Therefore a 17 year old who is completely drunk cannot be arrested, the most that can happen is having the parents contacted.

While you are right about the laws of a country not applying in international waters, the RULES of the cruise line do. In the case of Carnival drinking is 21. However you are wrong about the most that can happen is the parents will be notified. If you read your contract, you will find the worst that can happen, IMHO, is that the cruise line may disembark the party/parties at the next port at their own expense. You may also be held under house arrest. I realize it doesn’t happen often but, it has happened. I have talked to security officers stating such. I did get to see a group of young men, early 20’s, put off with their luggage looking very unhappy. I can’t even imagine what the did to have that happen.

My feelings are party hardy at the proper time and place. Do no harm and everyone will enjoy their cruise. (and yes I feel the 13 to 19 group is the worst, than the really old and rude.)

Just got back from a spring break cruise with my 19 year old college student. Believe me my daughter does her share of partying, just as I did in college, but if I ever saw her acting with the ill manners that these kids had, I would certainly straighten her out. I didn't mind all the kids around and the wild partying on the Lido Deck. If it gets too wild, I can always go to another deck. But what I did mind: the girls across the hall coming in drunk every single night of the cruise at 3 or 4 in the morning and running back and forth in the hallway for an hour or longer not even trying to be quiet. The same girls throwing ice in the hallways during the day and the very same girls jumping in front of my husband who is in a wheelchair and my elderly father to get on an elevator. If Carnival wants my business my during spring break, they will have to strongly enforce their age-limit rule.

Mickey,

You may be old enough to drink in Australia but you were talking about drinking on a cruise. You are not old enough to drink on ship.

Last year we cruised with a lot of graduates. Many appeared to be under 21. But then we called on Cozumel, Mexico, some of those kids went on the Fiesta Party boat and got pretty drunk. Drinking age in Mexico is under 21.

Live to Cruise. YOu may be right about international waters, but the Captain of the ship is the authority on that ship, and does have the right to enfore his policy. He can put you off the ship if he feels it's necessary. And if someone is a danger to others, don't be too surprised if he does not have them confined.

However you are wrong about the most that can happen is the parents will be notified. If you read your contract, you will find the worst that can happen, IMHO, is that the cruise line may disembark the party/parties at the next port at their own expense. You may also be held under house arrest. I realize it doesn’t happen often but, it has happened.

I stand corrected. Silly me, must have forgot about being thrown off the ship. lol

Not to worry I have two teenage daughters 13 and 16 and they are most respectable even when I'm not around. I know what you are thinking, I_Live_2_Cruise is probaly just naive and doesn't realize what her kids are doing when she leaves, but you honestly have nothing to worry about. My kids aren't spring breakers and my 16 year old daughter is actually "apalled" by other teen's behavior in the way of getting completely drunk at any time, and refuses to hang out with, even her own friends, if they are under the influence of anything. She prefers people sober which makes me think she's going to be all right.;)

Eh, I've seen them dump a family at port... they were warned once and that's all they got. So no, there is far worse that can happen.

I think that people gripe about the spring breakers is because their bodies are in better shape than the rest of us. I'd rather look at cute twenties than a fat 60 year old stuffed in a bikini. They should revive F deck during spring break! Now the dirty old men like me can go up to the funnel looking for mini golf and be surprised finding minikinis.

I'll drink to that.

Eh, I've seen them dump a family at port... they were warned once and that's all they got. So no, there is far worse that can happen.

I have seen the same thing, I must have forgotten about two cruises ago when a young teen was drinking and the ENTIRE family was kicked off at the next port.

If either of our kids did anything rude or obnoxious to others they would never cruise again as far as we are concerned, and if they ever did anything to get themselves or the entire family kicked off they better hope they go to a college in another country. ;) Parenting is all about boundaries. :D

Not to worry I have two teenage daughters 13 and 16 and they are most respectable even when I'm not around. I know what you are thinking, I_Live_2_Cruise is probaly just naive and doesn't realize what her kids are doing when she leaves, but you honestly have nothing to worry about. My kids aren't spring breakers and my 16 year old daughter is actually "apalled" by other teen's behavior in the way of getting completely drunk at any time, and refuses to hang out with, even her own friends, if they are under the influence of anything. She prefers people sober which makes me think she's going to be all right.;)

Actually I do beleive you, my youngst was the same way. My middle dd now that is another story. She would be one of the brats, I stopped taking her after spending my time tracking her on a cruise. She was getting served, at 16. Locking in the room didn't help she called room service. Same kids raised by the same parents, go figure.

The most obnoxious behavior I have ever seen on a cruise involved a large number of elderly retirees from Florida.

I have never seen any drunken 13 year olds on any of my cruises.

I did share a hot tub with an very wasted man of about 40 who was determined to get his 16 y/o son drunk. Kid wasn't cooperating.

Well usually it's the oldies who are acting the fool, being rude, hogging chairs, etc, etc. People always want to blame the young ones, when it's the old ones most of the time if u ask me.

BTW old for me starts at age 40.

My middle dd now that is another story. She would be one of the brats, I stopped taking her after spending my time tracking her on a cruise. She was getting served, at 16. Locking in the room didn't help she called room service. Same kids raised by the same parents, go figure.

I guess the old saying is true...."You get one of each." lol

You got the good girl and then you got the party girl. Truth is, parenting can only do so much. Once you leave it is up to the kid their own minds and their own plans/agendas. Not much you can do, if they really want to do something they will find a way.

Darn kids and their own minds. If only we could think for them! :D

[quote name='CynLovesCrusing']Shebring021x-

That is so cool how you have the slideshow of your cruise on your post. I enjoyed watching it and it just makes me even more excited and ready for my trip next month. Looks like you had a fabulous time. Thanks for the uplift in the midst of another thread of people all fussing at each other.[/quote]

Thank you. We truly did have a fabulous time!
We can not wait to do it again in November!
We vow to a mother/daughter cruise at LEAST once a year! :D

I don't begrudge young adults (over 21) going on a cruise and getting drunk. That IS their right. It is also my right to choose not to cruise with them. I have a 19 year old son and I have no doubt that he gets rowdy at parties. And my idea of a vacation is not hanging out with 1000 of his friends. There are drunken idiots on every cruise but let's be real. There's gonna be more during spring break. I know me and my buddies drank, and did other silly things, a lot more in college than we do now. It's a rite of passage. But I've outgrown it and just want to relax more now. Sooo... I would rather cut of my left hand than sail during spring break. That should not be taken as offensive by a college kid. It's just not my thing. I wouldn't want to go to a frat party either, and they probably wouldn't want me there, so we're all happy.

I haven't read every thread on here but have skimmed many of them. I happen to be a bit of a partyer myself, and I will also be that fly on the wall since I'm bringing 4 kids ages 18 - 22 in 3 days.

To generalize kids as all idiot partyers is no less intolerant and ignorant than to generalize all those over 40 (or whatever you consider old) as stuffy fuddy-duddies. Some people, no matter what their age, deserve a swift kick for infringing uduly on the rights of others. Maybe on spring break, it's more often the college kids, but it doesn't always work that way. Last year on spring break I recall cruising with a 40ish woman who was the only real problem the whole trip.

It's all about respecting the rights of your fellow passengers. Period. But, if the truth be known, [U]all other things being equal[/U], years do give you wisdom. That's why I would tend to listen more closely to the words of advice, or the opinion of someone my elder, than to a college kid, which I assume the OP must be. No offense.

[quote name='maddea20']Well usually it's the oldies who are acting the fool, being rude, hogging chairs, etc, etc. People always want to blame the young ones, when it's the old ones most of the time if u ask me.

BTW old for me starts at age 40.[/quote]

I was talking to some 18 year olds the other day, and I asked them what they considered old. They said 27-28. I laughed, and they said "well, that's not elderly, but it's definitely not young.":eek:

You'll find that the older you get, the older "old" gets.:D

[quote name='vijoge']The most obnoxious behavior I have ever seen on a cruise involved a large number of elderly retirees from Florida.[/QUOTE]Been there, done that!! There was just such a group on our cruise on the Legend, HOWEVER, people [I][B]from[/B][/I] Florida do not say they are from FLAAAAARida. We (Floridians) do not have Brooklyn accents, either. ;) Yep, they may now live in South Florida, but we don't claim them as ours. I've never seen so much pushing and line cutting in my whole life as on that cruise, never mind their lack of elevator courtesy.

[quote name='cruisemom2']Been there, done that!! There was just such a group on our cruise on the Legend, HOWEVER, people [I][B]from[/B][/I] Florida do not say they are from FLAAAAARida. We (Floridians) do not have Brooklyn accents, either. ;) Yep, they may now live in South Florida, but we don't claim them as ours. I've never seen so much pushing and line cutting in my whole life as on that cruise, never mind their lack of elevator courtesy.[/quote]

Are you implying something about NYers? I am a NYorker and so I just had to ask :confused: .

[quote name='maddea20']Are you implying something about NYers? I am a NYorker and so I just had to ask :confused: .[/QUOTE]I'm saying there was a huge group of retirees (some were very rude, some were not) on our Legend cruise. I heard them telling everyone all week they were from Florida. Most of them were actually from New York and have retired in South Florida or have "seasonal" housing in S. Florida. I was responding to the earlier post about "oboxious behavior" involving elderly retirees from Florida. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. ;)

[quote name='cruisemom2']Been there, done that!! There was just such a group on our cruise on the Legend, HOWEVER, people [I][B]from[/B][/I] Florida do not say they are from FLAAAAARida. We (Floridians) do not have Brooklyn accents, either. ;) Yep, they may now live in South Florida, but we don't claim them as ours. I've never seen so much pushing and line cutting in my whole life as on that cruise, never mind their lack of elevator courtesy.[/quote]

Sounds like our "friends". Hundreds of 'em, right? Yelling across the dining room. . rude to everyone. . .loud, pushy?

I apologize to native Floridians, as these people have [I]retired[/I] to Florida

Archived