Best Choice for 7 Hours in Tortola

villa10

:) We will be visiting Tortola in early June on the Miracle. Ship is in port from 7AM to 2PM. While I would like to do the "Baths" my DW does not think she is up to it. So we are looking at either a 3 hour tour of the north shore which goes to Pusser's Landing and then back to Road Town or a 5 hour tour which also includes scenic views but provides time at Cane Bay and a buffet lunch. We are also doing a beach in St. Thomas. I hear shopping and Road Town is not that big a deal. Any opinions? Or is there something else which is better?

I've always felt that taking a tour of an island (or anyplace) you've never been to is a good way to go. If you only go to one beach, resort, museum etc. you can't really get a feel for the larger picture. For instance, if you never went past Road Town you would never really know what Tortola was like. Just my $.02.

• 3 weeks later...
:) We will be visiting Tortola in early June on the Miracle. Ship is in port from 7AM to 2PM. While I would like to do the "Baths" my DW does not think she is up to it. So we are looking at either a 3 hour tour of the north shore which goes to Pusser's Landing and then back to Road Town or a 5 hour tour which also includes scenic views but provides time at Cane Bay and a buffet lunch. We are also doing a beach in St. Thomas. I hear shopping and Road Town is not that big a deal. Any opinions? Or is there something else which is better?

villa10:

We (myself, wife and two daughters) will be crusing out of NYC, on the Miracle, on June 12 with one of the POC's being Tortola. She wants to rent a car and see as much of the island as possible. Mountains are not much of a concern since we live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia [>3000 ft.] My concern is since it is not a ship sponsored event, if anything happens that might delay our return would cause us to miss the ship when it leaves. Hope I can talk her out of it but she is a very determined individual. I kind of go with the flow.

• 1 month later...

Not too much to see in Tortola. If you go by cab to Cane's Bay, you see the island on the way and can spend however much time you want on the beach which is very beautiful. There is a restaurant/snack bar and changing rooms there. You can rent chairs and there are loads of palm trees for shade. If you take a tour, it only stops for a short while at the beach.

We just took the North shore and Pursers landing tour. It is a good way to see the island. It is in an covered open air taxi with another 20 or so passengers. It does take you to the highest point on the island and make a few photo stops along the way. Pursers landing is a very up scale marina with shops and a bar. You can get some up close photo's of these high $$$ sailing craft. When I win the lottery I MAY be able to afford to live there.

No beach stop on the tour but you do pass along some great looking beaches. We booked our tour through Carnival.

Archived