Cheap parking at Norfolk cruise port?

frenchbroad

We are cruising from Norfolk to Bermuda for 7 days and are driving there. We are trying to determine the best way to handle parking. Anyone have any thoughts on 1) cheap parking close to the port? or 2) reasonably priced hotel near the port that offers free parking all week.

Thank you!

frenchbroad,

We've taken Maasdam from Norfolk twice. The first time, we just took a taxi from our home in Virginia Beach (obviously, we know the area). The second time, we drove from the D.C. area (new job, moved!) and parked in the open-air cruise parking lot, off Tidewater Drive, about a mile from the cruise pier. They ran convenient shuttle buses and it was not a big deal. When we did this in 2005, parking there was $10 a day.

There are downtown Norfolk covered parking garages that are closer to the pier, near Waterfront or Bousch St., but they are generally more expensive.

I don't know of any hotels that specifically do a park and cruise deal. When we visit Norfolk now, we stay at the Courtyard on Plume St. which has mid-range rates (it's about 6-8 blocks from the cruise pier, but a block or so to the McArthur Mall). They charge us nightly for parking, and I have no idea if they do week-long parking, but you could probably find them on the Marriott site and call/email and ask.

Covered parking at the airport used to be $7 a night, but anything you save would be less than what you would spend on taxis or transfers to/from the airport (about 5 miles away).

On the whole, you are probably going to find that the arranged cruise parking is the best deal for price and convenience, but someone else may have better/more recent info.

Hope this helps.

I work in downtown norfolk

parking is tight therefore none of the lots walking distance to the terminal @ Nauticus offer much of a deal for cruise pass'

Each line therefore has their own arrangements and runs shuttles as required

This site provides general info for cruisers out of Norfolk.

http://www.cruisenorfolk.org/

Similarly, I've not heard of any really great hotel deals......most downtown hotels charge a pretty parking fee on top of the room..... Places I have seen mentioned with a parking/shuttle deal tend to be closer to the airport.

We sailed the Maasdam last October (2006) and parked at the cruise center owned lot (Cedar Grove, $10/day, pre-paid) and it was fine.

We looked at staying over night and getting "free" parking, but the hotel room (at the Radisson, I believe) cost the same as the parking for 11 days did, so we just drove in (3.5 hours) the morning the cruise departed. The Radisson is actually close to the Cedar Grove lot. There are places closer to the pier but their room rates are higher.

We are going out of Norfolk in June on the Carnival Victory. We found the Sleep Inn that is a few miles from the port offers a cruise and park deal. For one night plus being able to leave our car for the 6 nights it is going to be about $140. This also includes shuttle to and from the port.

I know the nice hotels right by the port ( Marriott, Sheraton) don't offer parking for the week. I have also read some less than flattering things about the Radisson on TripAdvisor.

We thought about just driving down the morning of the cruise (we live in Northern VA, just outside DC) but we decided to extend our vacation a bit since our cruise doesn't leave until Sunday.

These hotels have been mentioned before on these boards as offering a park and cruise package:

Best Western Sands Inn

http://www.bestwesternvirginia.com/hotels/best-western-holiday-sands-inn-and-suites/

Holiday Inn Select http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/sl/1/en/hotel/orfva;jsessionid=KT134EAHPE2F4CTGWANCHPQKM0YBWIY4?_requestid=412938

Lake Wright Sleep Inn and Quality Suites

http://www.lakewrighthotel.com/

• 10 years later...

you hooked a 10 year old thread .........

checking today out of curiosity I find

http://www.parkingattheport.com/port-of-norfolk/

The Port of Norfolk's Cedar Grove parking accommodation serves Carnival Cruise Lines, and is located just 14 blocks from the Norfolk cruise port. At $15 each night, your parking fee can be paid with your Visa, MasterCard, or American Express card. They also accept cash and travelers checks.

You can conveniently drop your bags off at the Port of Norfolk cruise terminal before parking your vehicle, and take the complementary shuttle back to your cruise ship.

Norfolk cruise parking is relatively easy and should offer ample spaces to cruisers.

As ports go, this is damn cheap ... but you can not walk from the parking to the terminal ....

as I said 'way back then' the Norfolk terminal (which does not see much cruise traffic) is SMAK downtown .... and parking is a premium down town. So the cruise parking is a wee bit out of town, with a bus ride .....