Labadee Stay on ship or get off?

4evercruzin

I believe there is decent snorkeling as there are rock outcrops near at least one of the beach/swimming areas. I just go there to enjoy the beauty of the island and swim in the warm water. Don't stop at the first beach from the tender dock. Go on to the left to either of the next 2 beaches and they will be less crowded. Don't worry about getting a lounger. There are always many not in use and you can take them to whatever spot you want. We always set up in the shade, and there's plenty of shade!

I haven't been there in a few years, but both times we stopped there we were bombarded with the locals trying to sell us whatever they had to sell. I don't mind looking at the stuff and if I see something I like I will buy it, but they put on the full court pressure for you to go into thier area and look.

The last time I went, I opted for the parasailing and had a blast.

Yes Definetely Get Off The Ship And Explore The Area. I Found It To Be Absolutely Beautiful! The Only Regret Was Not Going To The Market To Shop. Everyone One The Ship I Talked To Said It Was By Far The Best Place For Shopping Out Of The 4 Ports Of Calls The Explorer Went To.

• 5 weeks later...

We found this to be one of favorite stops also. And we have been to MANY places...see our history below.

You will NOT regret it- and just like the poster above said; you will not be bothered by locals unless you approach their separate market. (And even as we shopped, we did not feel threatened. All it takes is a smile and a firm No)

Have a great time. :D

When we went here, I recall that it was pleasant enough if you are looking to relax on a beach. I sat under the shade while the others went jet skiing. But my adult daughter was a little disturbed by the school children walking past the fence that isolated this area from the locals. The area is so poor, and this beach is totally cut off from the local economy. The cruise ship runs the concessions and makes the profits, and these "private" beaches typically are the first stop so people will spend their money there. (Am I wrong about this?) Now, I'm assuming that the local government is reaping some kind of financial benefit from the cruise line to have this area, so I'm not sure it is a bad thing for them. And it certainly protects the cruisers experience from the seedier side of being in an unstable or poor port. My daughter for one said she will not get off the ship again at this port. She just couldn't enjoy herself under the circumstances. The rest of the gang probably would, although my son had similar sentiments. As with enjoyment of anything, it depends on your frame of mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Gwt off the ship for sure-we stopped there last year on NOS and loved it-the BBQ lunch the RCCL provided was great, the market has all kinds of great things and you can easily bargin with the locals. We are actually going again this April and that is one stop I am looking forward to. Have fun!

Hi, I just got back from a wonderful 7 day cruise,(10/10 to 10/17) one of the stops was Labadee! I had a blast! If you are looking for a relaxing day, lots of sun (Unless you find shade under a tree) rent a mat for $10 or just ask for a chair and someone will bring it to you. Definately go and enjoy it for a few hours. The labaduzzees are the best! :rolleyes:

Mariner of the seas 10-10/10-17 2004

I found an interesting link the other day that gives quite a bit of information for Labadee (actually the correct spelling is Labadie) at http://www.discoverhaiti.com/sights_labadie_092000.htm I like to know something about the ports I'm going to and this one offers a fair bit about the area. Also see http://joephila.net/D4/ which I found quite good.

I have read other reviews (some on this board, some at others such as http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Labadee.htm) that are quite positive about the scenery and quality of the experience. I certainly look forward to spending my day getting out to see what this complex has to offer, both from land and sea.

I should also mention that I found a review from another cruiser at another board that explains a bit about the situation at the artisan's market in the complex, the appropriate part of which I include immediately below:

A Haiti You Haven't Imagined

by phred1910 - last update: Jul 18, 2003

Devastating Poverty

The joy of the natural beauty was dampened somewhat by the fact that we were seperated from the rest of the island by barbed wire fence. Apparently the locals have a lottery and only a select few are allowed to come and help the Cruise Ship crew for the day. They earn more in this day, than they can earn in a month otherwise. I am still haunted by the desperate looks that I saw from the other side of the fence. Less than a week after I left, two crew members from the cruise ship were attacked when they ventured into one of the local towns - a sign of the desperate nature of some of the locals and the anger such disparity in living can manifest.

In this regard, I think we need to remember that these are extremely poor and desperate people who see as much money in their lives as we might see in a few months, and they know it too. Of course they are going to be a little pushy and try to get a sale -- but hey I get the same thing walking down a typical big city main street it seems. Keep it in perspective. :) Again , a firm but polite no is all it takes.

Cheers

Scott

Thank you Orleanstar for reminding us of the situation at Labadee and I am sure it has worsened since the devastating hurricane.

We are sailing on the Navigator on Dec 24 -We all can't wait. Can anyone answer these questions please.

Is there any shade at the beach in Labadee? Can you rent Cabanas as on Coco Cay? Would anyone recommend the hair braiding and if so what would be a fair price to pay? My daughters both have long hair.

Thank you

You have plenty of time to spend on the ship. You would be wasting an incredible opportunity to visit a beautiful place if you don't see Labadee. By all means get off there.

As for snorkling, it was fair. Being that it was my first time to ever snorkle is was incredible. But, nothing like Grand Cayman or Cozumel that we did the next few days.

The water is beautiful there. The whole park compound is stunning. Stay away from the market and head straight out to the point area. Nice outdoor lunch served out there.

I have nothing bad to say about Labadee at all. I did take everyone's advice and stay away from the aggressive market vendors. I don't know what other people don't like about Labadee, but it was one of the best days I have ever spent in my life. Seriously. Then again, some people just look for things to complain about. What can you say about those people?

Now, having said that, I have no idea what the hurricane has done to the place. It couldn't have helped it. I hope it didn't hurt it too bad.

One other note: RCCL lies when they say it is a "private island". Flat out B.S.! It is a national park of Haiti (yes, Haiti. RCCL would rather you not really know about that either.) RCCL rents out the park 3-4 days a week for their ships. The other days the park is open to the public for a fee. "Private island" is totally false.

But, still, it is a great place and you would be wasting a day staying on the ship and not getting off.

• 2 weeks later...

kris,

i think do have to pay extra to go to the water park area. I looked at the shore excursions listed on RC website. It listed the aqua park for 15 a person but said it was only for 50 minutes.

Several people have mentioned the lunch provided by the ship. is this extra or included?.

thanks for any info.

michele

Archived