Celebrity Quest Dining - Open Seating?

JAXlakerdogerfans

We are booked for the October 19th 2007 sailing on the Quest. We recently discovered that the dining is open seating. We were looking forward to the traditional dining that we had experienced previously on the Summit. We enjoyed that "on a date" feeling we got with dressing up dor dinner. My queston (finally) is with the open seating, would there be tables for two available? Would you have to reserve them each day? We're confused that we were asked our table preference for this cruise and my fiance now wants to cancel the trip & book on an M-class ship over this!:confused:

My husband and I are experienced cruisers and have booked this cruise. We sailed on a similar ship when Ren was in service. We loved the dining experience on this size ship.

I believe they ask for table size on the booking form because it's generic and most ships are traditional. Tell your fiance NOT to cancel over this. The dining experience will be superb. It's a very small intimate dining room. If you want to sit alone you can, there will be 2-tops available, although based upon popularity, you might have to wait a bit to get one. Also, you might meet folks you want to dine with and the 2-top will no longer interest you. If you cancel, you will be missing a fantastic vacation experience IMHO.

Happy Sailing! :)

JAXlakerdogerfans,

We are booked for the October 19th 2007 sailing on the Quest. We recently discovered that the dining is open seating. We were looking forward to the traditional dining that we had experienced previously on the Summit. We enjoyed that "on a date" feeling we got with dressing up dor dinner. My queston (finally) is with the open seating, would there be tables for two available? Would you have to reserve them each day? We're confused that we were asked our table preference for this cruise and my fiance now wants to cancel the trip & book on an M-class ship over this!:confused:

There's actually a lot more to the story than just "open seating" in the main dining room for dinner. Celebrity actually announced, from the very beginning, that MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest will join MY Celebrity Xpedition to form the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet, which is a distinct entity from the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet. Basically, the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet will offer more relaxed cruises to more exotic destinations. In addition to open seating, these vessels will follow the standard "casual' dress code every evening and their evening shows will not be as elaborate as the production shows on the "Celebrity Cruises" vessels. The "Celebrity Cruises" vessels, however, will continue to offer a very traditional cruise expeience with two fixed seatings for dinner and a combination of "formal," "informal," and "casual" evenings. If you prefer a traditional cruise, the change would be the way to go. Your choice.

The dining room aboard MV Celebrity Quest probably does have some tables for two, but there's no way to know their availability in advance since it will depend upon demand -- that is, the number of other passengers who also request tables for two -- and there's no way to predict that number in advance.

Have a great cruise, whichever you choose!

Norm.

My husband and I are experienced cruisers and have booked this cruise. We sailed on a similar ship when Ren was in service. We loved the dining experience on this size ship.

I believe they ask for table size on the booking form because it's generic and most ships are traditional. Tell your fiance NOT to cancel over this. The dining experience will be superb. It's a very small intimate dining room. If you want to sit alone you can, there will be 2-tops available, although based upon popularity, you might have to wait a bit to get one. Also, you might meet folks you want to dine with and the 2-top will no longer interest you. If you cancel, you will be missing a fantastic vacation experience IMHO.

Happy Sailing! :)

We have a Sky Suite Booked, so I'm wondering if that will get any leverage for the type of table we enjoy. I tried calling the Celetrity Captain's Club about this and the gal I spoke to did not even work for Celebrity. After getting transferred to a couple of others, the man I spoke to did not say if you could have any preference, they would just seat you. He didn't seem to be a very good spokesperson for the company & I'm hoping he's wrong. I was thinking it would be more like the Any-time dining on Princess.

I guess the thing we find hard to give up is that when you have an assigned table, the waiters have the incentive to offer great service for a better tip. With the any-time dining we've experienced on Princess, the service wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There's something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I like the itinerary, with all the different islands, maybe a more casual dining is less hassle after the tours. My honey is cecking on the Europe cruises now, but I guess I'm the more adventureous one. Thanks for your encouragement!:)

JAXlakerdogerfans,

The dining room aboard MV Celebrity Quest probably does have some tables for two, but there's no way to know their availability in advance since it will depend upon demand -- that is, the number of other passengers who also request tables for two -- and there's no way to predict that number in advance.

My experience on smaller ships with open dining is that I have ALWAYS been seated as requested. If I request a table for 2 and the only ones open seat four, I have been seated at the larger table without having to compromise my request.

There is no need to "predict" the number of tables for two as it is not really relevant. The former R class ships were designed for open dining.

After getting transferred to a couple of others, the man I spoke to did not say if you could have any preference, they would just seat you. He didn't seem to be a very good spokesperson for the company & I'm hoping he's wrong. I was thinking it would be more like the Any-time dining on Princess.

Neither of the two Celebrity Expeditions ships has sailed yet for Celebrity and they are unlike what Celebrity has done before. It is to be expected that most of the information is conceptual. You say you recently discovered that the ships have open seating. The ship was only recently announced. It sounds to me that you should wait for these ships to be broken in a bit before you consider booking them as you are not the adventurous type. People can tell probably this and probably that but we don't really know and won't know for a few months when the Journey does it's first sailings and there will be actual trip reports.

We have a Sky Suite Booked, so I'm wondering if that will get any leverage for the type of table we enjoy

According to a blurb I read on a Celebrity site:

Suites will have enhanced amenities and services:

Dining preference for all restaurants

welcome bottle of Champagne

1 night complimentary specialty dining

daily evening hors d'oevres

senior butler service (more experienced, lower per guest ratio)

priority check in and departure

unpacking/packing of luggage

complimentary in stateroom non alcoholic specialty coffees

dvd/cd player ~ bathtub ~ complimentary garment pressing

Mari:)

We have a Sky Suite Booked, so I'm wondering if that will get any leverage for the type of table we enjoy. I tried calling the Celetrity Captain's Club about this and the gal I spoke to did not even work for Celebrity. After getting transferred to a couple of others, the man I spoke to did not say if you could have any preference, they would just seat you. He didn't seem to be a very good spokesperson for the company & I'm hoping he's wrong. I was thinking it would be more like the Any-time dining on Princess.

I guess the thing we find hard to give up is that when you have an assigned table, the waiters have the incentive to offer great service for a better tip. With the any-time dining we've experienced on Princess, the service wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. There's something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I like the itinerary, with all the different islands, maybe a more casual dining is less hassle after the tours. My honey is cecking on the Europe cruises now, but I guess I'm the more adventureous one. Thanks for your encouragement!:)

I booked a quest cruise, also in a sky suite. What Charles is saying is right. I think my attitutde is, that we KNOW Celebrity do a great job, and we have every faith in them that they will make Journey Class a fabulous experience. Ok, so we havent seen final details of the ship, but I guess we are looking at the overall picture, and so far, its looking pretty rosie! We LOVE formal dining, and yep, if its not there, then we will miss it a bit. IF its open seating etc, which it does look like it will be, I think you will find it more upscale than casual but without the ballgown stuff so think getting dressed for a date every night, I know I will! If you are in a sky suite, you will have REAL butler service as such, and therefore, should not find getting a table wherever, whenever a problem . As long as you can compromise a bit on times, you will probably get your table for two without a problem via your butler. Youve been with X before, so you know how good they can be..keep the faith.. thats what I'm doing and dont lisent to too much heresay on here. Charles I think gives the best advice yet!

Happy cruising!

I don't think you can fairly compare Princess' anytime dining to the open seating that will be offered in Celebrity's Quest Dining Room due to size. Princess ships hold thousands, the max on the Quest will be 750 pax. With those #,s it won't be difficult to get superb service. Also, we have found that if you want a certain location/server, etc. they will do everything in their power to accommodate your requests. I hope you keep your booking and come with us to the Caribbean. The port choices are outstanding! I am especially looking forward to Turks & Caicos as well as Virgin Gorda. I can't wait. Happy Sailing!

Thanks to all for reminding me about Celebrities great service while sailing! Your input is much appreciated. I'm going to keep plugging for the Quest sailing with my honey & hopefully we can make up our minds. It's between the Quest and a Panama Canal sailing on an M-class. We'll see. :)

Archived