Aft balcony-the way to go?

In just 3 more weeks I'll be in Cabin 1688 on Navigator! It will be my first balcony and will probably spoil me for anything else! For you experienced balconiers, will this be a sliding or pull open door? Will I need to bring something to hold it open at night?

emerald- the doors are sliding and they door lock in place when open using the handle.

We had an aft cabin (1390) on the Mariner and just loved it! Huge balcony and a great panoramic view!. Soot was not a problem on deck 10 but it was on deck 9. Vibration and movement is more profound in the aft cabins but that doesn't bother me. The balcony at cabin 1388/1688 is much smaller as it is located in the corner. There is also a large steel brace member going through these two balconies. The aft cabins below deck 9 have obstructed views due to the superstructure at the ship's stern. The only aft cabins I would recommend below deck 9 would be on the outsides (9690/9390/8690/8390/7688/7388). Avoid the aft cabins on deck 6 as the views are terribly obstructed by the stern superstructure and there is a large unused open space between the balcony railing and the edge of the ship.

We're anticipating our first aft balcony soon, and I'm sure we'll love it. Here's one oddity that you might want to know before you book your cruise: The majority of the aft balcony rooms hold only THREE PEOPLE. If you have four, book fast!

I'm in 1694 on the Mariner in December. This will be my first experience in both a JS and an aft cabin. I am very excited about the "aft" part. My question: if offered an upgrade (GS or OS) - would you take it? There will only be 2 of us....so space isn't really an issue. I don't mean it to sound like I expect to be offered an upgrade....I was just wondering....best to be prepared, ya know :)

Archived