Has anyone had tablemates from H*E*L*L?

Riley's Mom

On only one of our cruises did we have really mean,terrible tablemates. The other years they were okay.

In the past couple years we have not had to share the table with anyone other than family..

This year however, since there will only be a few of us we will no doubt be seated with other cruisers... I am nervous about who we will be paired with..

Has anyone ever had "bad" tablemates.

Would love to hear your stories..experiences.

Thanks,

Carla

We did on the Paradise in January of 2005. We happened to be on a cruise with Angel baseball fans and players. There were 4 married woman at our table who tried to impress us with their friendship with the players. Any time we saw them during the weekend around the players it was obvious they had no clue who these women were. We asked them about the location of their season tickets. They sat in the top deck of the stadium.

Just off of a Royal Caribbean cruise and share a table with three couples ... one was very nice, but the other two ... whew. The guys had serious superiority complexes and, once they found out I'm a grad student, pretty much ignored me. Of course, that wouldn't shut them up, and they would rail forever about politics, how bad people were dressed in the dining room, etc.

One guy that just would not shut up about the art auction, he went every day and had to tell full details for 30 minutes, just wanted to tell him to shut up I could care less about it. Other than that all table mates have been outstanding and have made some very good friends.

So far so good. I have enjoyed my tablemates on all my cruises. The last two were with freinds so we had a group of 8 and were all seated together. The next two are also booked with freinds and I'm sure we will be fine. I'm pretty easy going and I always try to have a good time. Why be miserable. It's not good for the soul.

In 19 cruises, I can honestly say I have never had "bad" table mates. Certainly some more enjoyable than others. I have been impressed how cruisers tend to meld socially together, regardless of eco-social backgrounds.

We had 2 table mates (I'll call them Jack & Jill), and on the first night in the dining room after dinner, Jack says "That's the worst meal I've ever eaten" this was wrong, that was wrong, etc. Jill, his wife, didn't seem to have a problem, and was trying to get along with the rest of us, and calm him down at the same time. Bless her heart, she had her work cut out for her. The rest of us (ourselves & 2 other couples) thought everything was good. We shrugged it off, changed the subject and all tried small talk to get to know one another better. Jill seemed interested in wanting to get to know us all better, but not Jack. She seemed nice enough, but he, well, we figured he was just having a bad day. 2nd night at dinner, Jack & Jill never showed up..............for the rest of the week. We ran into Jack & Jill several times, spoke to them, :eek: just to be ignored. We figured their loss, us & the rest of the tablemates got along very well, so we didn't let them spoil the rest of our week. We found out later in the week that they had asked to be seated at an earlier sitting (we had the 8:30 late), because they thought it was too cold in the dining room at the late seating. :confused: huh?:confused: made no sense to me, but ok, if they say so. Now for the best part. 2 of our other table mates said they ran into Jack on one of the decks, and said, isn't your name Jack, and didn't you and your wife have dinner with us on the first night of the cruise? Jack says, "I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone else." Then,:eek: Jill walks out, and our table mates remember her instantly (perhaps because she was at least trying to have a good time the first night) . Needless to say Jack just walked off, busted, to say the least, while Jill talked to our other 2 tablemates for a few minutes. They said Jill was very talkative when he wasn't around, but much different when he was around. This was only our 2nd cruise, but I would have never thought that people are like that. I can get along with anyone, but it's hard when they don't wanna be gotten along with.

I can get along with anyone, but it's hard when they don't wanna be gotten along with.

I'm the same way. People like that must be so unhappy. I feel sorry for Jill, can you imagine living with a fool like that. Mr Negativity.

7 years ago, we were seated at a huge table in the back of the dining room. We were 3(myself, my husband and my 19 year old nephew) of about 13. Everyone one else was couples "except" there were 2 guys that kept insisting they were just "friends". One was married, and his wife hated to cruise, because after 20 something cruises ........ yata, yata. So his friend travels with him instead of her. It got to be a standing joke to the rest of us at the table that these two were really a couple and he probably did have a wife at home, but just didn't want to come out that the two of them were together on the cruise as a gay couple.We couldn' t wait until dinner time each nite to see what new story they would conjure up about the days events. We still laugh about those two guys. But I'll also add that at this very same table we met and have remained close friends with a couple that were on their honeymoon back then and just 2 weeks ago they traveled from Tennesse to Louisiana to attend my nephew's wedding. we will all be cruising together in July 2007, except of course the two guys that weren't a couple!!

7 years ago, we were seated at a huge table in the back of the dining room. We were 3(myself, my husband and my 19 year old nephew) of about 13. Everyone one else was couples "except" there were 2 guys that kept insisting they were just "friends". One was married, and his wife hated to cruise, because after 20 something cruises ........ yata, yata. So his friend travels with him instead of her. It got to be a standing joke to the rest of us at the table that these two were really a couple and he probably did have a wife at home, but just didn't want to come out that the two of them were together on the cruise as a gay couple.We couldn' t wait until dinner time each nite to see what new story they would conjure up about the days events. We still laugh about those two guys. But I'll also add that at this very same table we met and have remained close friends with a couple that were on their honeymoon back then and just 2 weeks ago they traveled from Tennesse to Louisiana to attend my nephew's wedding. we will all be cruising together in July 2007, except of course the two guys that weren't a couple!!

Did you see the movie "Brokeback Mtn"?

You all are too funny!

I might have been the bad tablemates, but I have never sat with anyone I couldn't get along with for the week. I never made any life long friends, but I didn't make an enemies either! I think that is a good record.

Only good experiences....

One year we met a really fun couple in a rent-a-car place the day before the cruise and then our first night at dinner on the cruise they showed up at our table. It was a fun "small world" moment and a great cruise.

I would not put up with bad tablemates more than one night. I would just simply go to the Maiter'd and ask for my table to be changed.

I agree. On our second cruise we were seated at a table with several other couples. One of the couples was just downright rude and very snobby. I wanted to ask for a table change and my BF said that he didn't want to insult anyone. I said "You've got to be kidding! They're insulting us every chance they get!" Well, I dreaded going to dinner every night. It was very uncomfortable and just plain awful! At the end of the cruise, I told my BF that if he ever put me through that again and refused to change tables that I would just have to kill him!:D Haven't had a problem since!

The family seated with us on our first Disney cruise was downright green. We thought they were so odd until we realized how sea sick they all were. Went to the room and grabbed my bottle of meclazine. That was 8 years ago and we have had several great planned vacations with them - they are like family and although the kids are growing up we are now planning an adults only cruise sometime in the future. Leaving on the Glory today and can't wait to see whose at our table tonite.

One cruise we were at a table for 8. It was us a newly married couple and their parents. We kind of felt like the outsiders. Our own fault for not asking foa a different tabletho.

who brings their parents along with them on what sounds like it could have been their honeymoon?!?!?!

Ive got 2 good tablemates 1 was on a 3 day cruise a 15 year old newlywed from west virginia had never been out side her small town. just to see her eat escargo,try and use more then 1 fork.even to see the ocean. then there was a week with the priest from @#$# he would send every thing back atleast 2are3 times. prey out loud look to see if eneyone was looking tell his wife that she was nogood.me and this man would go round and round the hole week

On our first cruise we had some rather snobbish people-made for very uncomfortable dinners. We didn't know then that we could have our table switched. Our last cruise on the Liberty a couple weeks ago we had a wonderful couple from South Carolina that seemed to enjoy five ladies from Wisconsin! They and our waitstaff made some of our best memories!:)

Mostly great experiences but...... One cruise my husband & I cruised with 2 daughters and their gril friends. So one male and 5 females. First night hubby didn't feel like dining. That put 5 females at the table with a couple. Apparently she didn't appreciate that. Shortly after seating, she threw down her napkin and said "I'm not puting up with this" and stormed out. Her husband was very embarassed and he ate his meal. But they were seated at another table after that and when she would see us, she would turn her head. LOL We all thought that poor man! Fran

Archived