Need Help..Circle Island +Arizona on our Own

scsagh

We will be coming off the Pride of America on Sat., Apr. 7. We were thinking of renting a car and doing our own Arizona/Pearl Harbor and Circle Island Tour as our flight doesn't depart until 10:30 p.m.

There will be 4 of us: 2 adults and kids 15 & 11

We have never been to Hawaii before. My husband is not crazy about driving, but given the amount of time we have, thought the rental might be best. The only tour we could find that did the Arizona and circled the island left at 6:15 a.m.

Would we be better off renting a vehicle at the airport vs. a closer location since we want to go to Pearl Harbor & the U.S.S. Arizona first? Any particular recommendations?

I found a Circle Island on your own map at this website:

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/OahuCircleIsDrive5.pdf

Would it work to do this in the reverse order that they list so we would hit Pearl Harbor first?

Several books (and cruise critic cruisers) mention visiting Diamond Head early in the day, but I also read somewhere that 4:00 or after is a good time. Does anyone have any experience here later in the day?

If I'm way off base, feel free to give me other suggestions! :eek:

Sandy

Yes, definately consider a car rental and going on your own. And do Pearl Harbor first. :) Then see what you wish to do with the remaining time. Pearl Harbor has plenty to occupy your time, if of interest.

I agree. Rent a car. Make sure to go to Pearl Harbor first. We had stayed a few days pre cruise in Waikiki so had done Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach etc. before our cruise, but on the day we left the ship we also had a late flight so rented a car and did our own circle tour of Oahu. Since we had seen the Waikiki sights we started at Haunauma Bay and traveled counter clockwise around Oahu. We had actually emailed a couple tour companies that did the bus circle tours and they sent us information that helped us plan what sights we wanted to see and our route. It can easily be searched for and done online however. A few of our day's highlights (that I can remember off the top of my head) included: Haunauma Bay; Pali Highway; the La'ie Point Arch carved by a tsunami in one hour in 1946; Chinaman's hat, Turtle Bay; Waimea Audubon (swam under a waterfall there!); Shrimp trucks on North shore (for lunch); Bonzai Pipeline Beach; all the North Shore beaches; shave ice at Aokis or Matsumotos; and the Dole Pineapple Plantation.

You will have to pick and choose to fit in what your time will allow, but you are guaranteed to have a great day!! Planning is half the fun anyway!

Hey that is a great map of a Circle tour you found. We modified it slightly as we really wanted to see Haunama Bay, and also Waimea Falls Aububon Park is not on that map. It is located not too far from Turtle Bay. There is an admission cost ($8. adult, I think), but swimming under a waterfall was worth it for me!! If time is running out you may need to skip this as the walk to the falls with many lovely gardens along the way takes at least an hour. We ended up skipping the Byoda Temple as there were too many buses there and by the time we got to the Dole Plantation the tours were done for the day so we just enjoyed the shop and goodies there like Dole Whips!

First I'd definitely recommend NCL's Easy Fly program if you can get it. They will take your luggage to the airport and check it in for your flight, and you won't see it untill you get to your destination airport's luggage claim area. Not all rental companies have shuttles to the airport, so you may want to take a taxi, cost is probably around $20, maybe less if you use Alamo since their office is east of the airport. I see nothing wrong with going clockwise around the Island. I didn't really read the tour you alluded to, but from the map it looks like they return to Waikiki on the Pali Highway. Without stopping, the trip from Pearl around to Waikiki is probably about 3 hours. Surfing events on the North Shore may result in mild bumper to bumper traffic for a few miles, but shouldn't delay you, besides, the surfing events may be pretty well over by April. You should be at Diamond Head easily by 4. It can get pretty warm on the hike around noon, but later it should have subsided some. I too had misgivings about driving on Oahu, but found it's no different than elsewhere. Never got lost, although pretty confused once or twice, still we always seemed to find our way back to the airport:) The Drive Guides given out at the rental agencies have some very clear maps. Enjoy your trip.

Good suggestion, Dan! Counter-clockwise does make a lot more sense for them as they will be going to Pearl Harbor first. AND doing Diamond Head in the late afternnon would be much better than trying to climb it in the heat of the day! I think your kids would really enjoy the challenge of douing that climb - plus the VIEWS!!!

We just kept our luggage with us in the trunk all day.

Sandy, thanks for posting that map. I had just been looking for something like that.

I read somewhere that cutting across on H3 was quite an experience, and that the preferred direction was to take it from east to west. Does anyone have any advice on the relative scenic/convenience alure of H3 vs the route shown on the map (#61)?

Mike Kaye, do you hire yourself out as passenger-for-the-day?!

Here's a link to the webcams on H3.http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/hawaiidot/index.html

Always thought the drive was more spectacular from Honolulu to Kaneohoe as is rte 61 or Pali Highway. If you are doing a clockwise circle and have time, I'd recommend a brief detour on the Pali highway to the overlook, then retrace your steps and continue on around the eastern end of Oahu. Just a word of warning, getting on/off H1 around Waikiki can be an adventure all by itself.

We've also kept our luggage in the trunk on the last day but always stayed near the car and never opened the trunk when we parked. Still it's taking a chance and if you can take advantage of the "easy fly" program it would probably be worth the peace of mind, not to mention speeding up the checkin at the airport. I think it costs $20, but not sure if that covers all the luggage?????

The easy fly is $20 for 2 suitcases. We just hiked Diamond Head last week and got ther at 4:30 pm. It does close at 6 pm....leave yourself a good hour (longer if your party is not in good shape). Definitely rent a car and do Pearl Harbor first. The Pali lookout is a great idea if the weather is nice. Don't forget the Punchbowl cemetary that also has fantastic views of Honolulu/Waikiki. It's right off the Pali Highway.

Wow, I've been gone all day and am just checking back for replies. You all have posted such great ideas. Thank you!

So does that seem reasonable to do the tour in a clockwise direction, or are most of the sights meant to be seen or be better appreciated in a counter clockwise direction?

Since there are 4 of us, but we hope to only have four medium-large suitcases plus carryons, we thought we would try to do NCL's EZ Fly for two people (all 4 suitcases) and take the carryons with us.

Am I correct in assuming that Hwy 61 is the Pali Highway that Lambs2 and others spoke of?

bug_dan, thanks for all of the driving tips. I'm hoping my husband will be the driver, and I'm sure he will appreciate them. Hopefully I get to be the navigator since I enjoy doing the planning, and he doesn't.

I'm just getting so excited! Thanks everyone for all of your valuable input!

Oh, and by the way, Deb, if MikeKaye hires himself out for the day, we're just going to have to get a bigger vehicle and all go together! ;)

Archived