Transportation from Piraeus to Athens

brag

Our HAL tour of the Med. concludes in Piraeus. We intend to spend a few days in Athens before heading home. As you might expect, we will have several pieces of luggage and what ever we purchase during the curise. I am looking for the best mode of transportation from the port to the city center of Athens.

I have researched enough to know that the Metro line #1 runs from Piraeus to a couple blocks from our hotel in Athens. Is the Piraeus station within walking distance from the pier? Are there other modes of transportation that are more convenient? I have heard bad things about the taxis, not sure that I want to go this way.

Any suggestions?

Brag:confused:

While the walk to the metro is a pleasant mile or so around the harbor I would not want to drag cruise luggage to the train station.

Why don't you contact one of the tour operartors used by others on the ports board--or ask a local expert on trip advisor. Thats what I'm doing for Rome.

Hi Brag:-

Suggest you to go the Ports of Call Forum, Select Europe, Eastern/Western Meditterranean and search out Thread Post dated March 15/07 from "Laurann" entitled "How far from Port to Athens". You will get some additional information, as well, one of the responders posted the taxi rates from the Port of Piraeus to various places in and around Athens.

You will also see my reference to a greek travel website which will benefit you if you are spending a couple of days in Athens.

FYI

Our HAL tour of the Med. concludes in Piraeus. We intend to spend a few days in Athens before heading home. As you might expect, we will have several pieces of luggage and what ever we purchase during the curise. I am looking for the best mode of transportation from the port to the city center of Athens.

I have researched enough to know that the Metro line #1 runs from Piraeus to a couple blocks from our hotel in Athens. Is the Piraeus station within walking distance from the pier? Are there other modes of transportation that are more convenient? I have heard bad things about the taxis, not sure that I want to go this way.

Any suggestions?

Brag:confused:

We did Athens to Istanbul this past SEpt,,, if you likr the tour operator we used drop me a note,, We used him in AThens and then transportation to Pireaus to pick up our ship " Nautica" whyme71842@aol.com

Each of us has to make his/her own tradeoffs of cost vs ease of journey. When we were in our 20s, 30, 40s and even early 50s, DW and I usually would opt to take public transport (subway or train) to/from the ship or airport. Alas, now that the years have taken their toll, we will take taxi or car when we have luggage, and save our kopeks by taking public transport when we DON'T have all that baggage. Your mileage will vary.

Archived