best must see beaches

bobbycruiser

this will be my first time in st thomas and i am really looking forward to seeing the island. i am half of a young (24 years old) couple who love beaches and relaxed atmosphere. we are ideally looking for the most beautiful beach with maybe a small tiki bar or some sort of on-beach food. im just looking to hear anyone and everyones opinion or suggestions:)

just as a side note, are there any other MUST-DO things in st thomas?

thank you in advance for any and all suggestions:)

A must see is "Magens Bay Beach" complete with changing rooms, bar and food. There is a small entry fee of $3.00, that might have changed. Any taxi will take you there. Also check out the "Paradise Point" which is a tram ride up the side of the mountain giving you a birds eye view of the whole island. It is about $12.00 per person. There is a bar and shops at the top. On Magens Bay Beach , the diving pelicans put on a great show!!!! Enjoy!!!!:)

A must see is "Magens Bay Beach" complete with changing rooms, bar and food. There is a small entry fee of $3.00, that might have changed. Any taxi will take you there. Also check out the "Paradise Point" which is a tram ride up the side of the mountain giving you a birds eye view of the whole island. It is about $12.00 per person. There is a bar and shops at the top. On Magens Bay Beach , the diving pelicans put on a great show!!!! Enjoy!!!!:)

that sounds awesome. does megans bay have an on-beach bar? and is the food accessible from the beach? i have heard that megans bay is a beautiful beach and i considered it before i even made this post, but if there is a bar and food, its settled, that the place where i will spend my day:)

that sounds awesome. does megans bay have an on-beach bar? and is the food accessible from the beach? i have heard that megans bay is a beautiful beach and i considered it before i even made this post, but if there is a bar and food, its settled, that the place where i will spend my day:)

I am pretty such there is a bar and food. I will be there on April 10th next month and I will double check. Make sure you go there in the morning. It starts getting a little crowded around noon but it is still not that bad. I will report back since you leave in May. Magens Bay is always listed on "The 10 Most Beautiful Beaches". I am excited for you. It is a must see.:)

this will be my first time in st thomas and i am really looking forward to seeing the island. i am half of a young (24 years old) couple who love beaches and relaxed atmosphere. we are ideally looking for the most beautiful beach with maybe a small tiki bar or some sort of on-beach food. im just looking to hear anyone and everyones opinion or suggestions:)

just as a side note, are there any other MUST-DO things in st thomas?

thank you in advance for any and all suggestions:)

Hi,

We were just in St. Thomas in January and it is a BEAUTIFUL Island. I suggest that you take a tour with Godfrey's. Godfrey himself has tons of historical infomation on the island and we got some amazing pictures. You have a choice of doing a full tour or being dropped off at one of 3 beaches, if I remember correctly we chose Coki Point tho I could be wrong with the name it is by Coral World. I dont recommend staying at this beach which we did. It was very small and you had to pay to use the bathrooms, the men told me all the toilets were clogged and overflowing. The water was crystal clear but I was not impressed. We are going back March 08 and I would love to do the tour again but not stop at the beaches but continue to the castles. .

Here is the link to Godfrey's tours and we thought the prices were great for the tour we got!!! http://godfreytoursvi.com/ Wow I just checked out the site and they DROPPED their prices from when I went in January.

sounds great. u are officially my new best friend. since ur goin soon and im goin right after u, id totaly appreciate any info you can scoop up for me. prices for cab to megans bay(estimate) cost of food on teh beach, drinks etc. dont go anywhere out of ur way, just some quick info would be awesome:) im jealous that ur goin before me though, lol. dont forget to warn them that im coming soon after u, lol:)

We were at Magen's Bay on March 10. The entrance is $3pp. There is a restaurant and a beach bar. It was a fabulous beach. No one tried to sell me anything at all. Just sun, beautiful water and a place where you can rent lounge chairs and water floats. The lounge chairs rented for $6 plus a deposit that is returned to you.

http://www.**********/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

is a website that has the current taxi fares.

I will agree with most, and say Megan's bay is beautiful!

Going with cruise line is always nice because you done need to worry about finding your own transportation. This is what I always do.

yea ill prolly go with the cruise line cuz they handle all the transportation. but megans bay it is:) i cant wait. 30 bucks through the line, but its well worth it if everything is included

u guys are awesome. i just looked on my cruise shore excursions packet and megans bay is on there for like 25 dollars a person. should i just go there on my own or would any of u recommend going through the cruiseline?

By all means, you can go on your own. No time constraints like with a tour. It is a short ride whether you dock at Havensight or Crown Bay. Please, do not waste your money on tours . You will have plenty of time to beach for a few hours and then maybe the Paradise Tram Ride and still time to shop. If you dock at Havensight, there is alot of stores right there, pass the shops, make a left , start walking and there is Paradise Point Tram. I sooo love St. Thomas with its easy access.:)

I have a question about Megan's Bay.

I'm very sensitive to the sun, but LOVE the beach. I've been looking at pictures of Megan's Bay, and don't see any umbrellas, and not a lot of trees.

Will I be able to find shade or should I just slather up on the SPF 50 every 15 minutes?

thanks!

I'm trying to decide between Megan's and Coki. We had a great time at Sapphire a year ago, but would like to someplace different our next time around! On another thread they had me convinced that Coki was the best, now all of you are tempting me with Megans!:eek:

We are in our 50's, no kids. We like a relaxing beach day with great snorkeling, food and beverages available, bathroom facilities & lockers would be nice. We also need shade as we both are sun sensitive. I thought that the aquarium at Coki sounded like a nice diversion as a "beach break", but now that tram ride up the hill sounds fun.

So convince me which beach is best! (If you have pictures I would be overjoyed.:D)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to decide between Megan's and Coki. We had a great time at Sapphire a year ago, but would like to someplace different our next time around! On another thread they had me convinced that Coki was the best, now all of you are tempting me with Megans!:eek:

We are in our 50's, no kids. We like a relaxing beach day with great snorkeling, food and beverages available, bathroom facilities & lockers would be nice. We also need shade as we both are sun sensitive. I thought that the aquarium at Coki sounded like a nice diversion as a "beach break", but now that tram ride up the hill sounds fun.

So convince me which beach is best! (If you have pictures I would be overjoyed.:D)

If you want great snorkeling, then you have to rule out Megan's Bay and hit Coki. If it's beach and scenery and watersports, then Megan's, hands down!

toonjie....you mentioned water sports at Megans Bay. My teens are looking to jet ski, parasail:) , etc....Will we find this there?? We will be on the Crown in July. Thanks for any info

Crissy

Here's the copy from the VI web page:

Magens Bay is St. Thomas' most popular beach. The beautiful one mile stretch is a public park and was donated to the people of the Virgin Islands by Arthur Fairchild. It is the only beach on St. Thomas that has an entry fee; funds are used to maintain the facilities and the beach. The water is usually very calm with no waves or current, great for floating along and for swimming. The bay deepens gradually from shore making it perfect for small children. Snorkeling is possible along the rocky coast, but Magens Bay is not known for good snorkeling. A water sports booth rents paddle boats, kayaks and sunfish. Beach chairs, floats and snorkel sets are available at the concession. Also at the concession is a bar and restaurant that serves burgers, pizzas and other snacks, a gift shop and a hair braiding stand. The beach is a popular stop on island tour itineraries and can get crowded on days when there are several cruise ships in port. Most beach goers pick a spot close to the restaurant area, so typically if you walk down the shore a bit away form the concession you will find fewer people. On weekday afternoons you will find residents relaxing after work and getting in some exercise. It is common to see mom's pushing strollers while power walking, men and women jogging, kids riding bikes and people swimming laps between 5 and 6pm. On Sundays and holidays the beach is a favorite destination for residents; and parties ranging from small picnics to loud gatherings are common on those days. Lifeguards are on duty everyday.

I don't think they have jetski rentals or parasailing, that would be too loud and spoil the tranquil nature of the spot. If you want those you'll probably have to take a look at some of the hotel beaches.

toonjie....you mentioned water sports at Megans Bay. My teens are looking to jet ski, parasail:) , etc....Will we find this there?? We will be on the Crown in July. Thanks for any info

Crissy

Also, see the new destination guide on CC that just appeared today. It has some great info in it, especially for you guys arriving on the Crown Princess, since you dock at the new site, Crown Bay. It tells you what is located there.

Crissy

Ok, I must put in my opinion on this matter also if you don't mind: We have been going to St. Thomas since 1996 and even spent weeks on the island many of times. This is truly our favorite island of all, and we have hit up all the beaches.:)

I agree that Megans Bay is a VERY BEAUTIFUL beach and the water is gorgous. This is about it. If you looking into just a relaxing day, then this is it. Chairs to rent, 1 bar with food. Floaties to rent for the water. Tons of trees and a long white sandy beach. You can snorkle at one end of the beach, although not very good at all. I have NEVER seen kyakes, or water bikes for rent here like one person stated. It has been 2 yrs. since we've been there, so this must be new.:confused:

Our favorite beach of all......Coki Beach. The same blue gorgous water, white sand beach, a few bars and great food. Great waitress service and samples all day long. Ausome snorkling done right there at the end of the beach, with Coral world right there also. This beach is at the end of a road, and next to a cemetary. (some might think that it is scary, however not once were we ever afraid of being there). This started off years ago as the locals beach. Right across the street the kids can rent jet ski's, as well as parasail. Doing these, they come around the corner of coral world and right in front of Coki beach so that you may see your kids having fun. Our son & son-in-law do this everytime. You can even learn to scuba here and do it right from the beach for under a hundred pp. Snorkling gear is also available to rent. Everything you would want in a beach day of relaxing, fun, water sports, adventure can all be done here at Coki Beach. If I have to agree on one thing bad here, the restroom - yes. It is not kept up very well, however never had a problem using it. Just bring your own napkins as over the years I have found it always to be without TP. Trees for shade here also. If you go here, stay on the beach end closest to Coral world and look for the mailman to mix you the best possible drink on the beach......a well known local.:D

Saphire is also another very beautiful beach with those lovely liquard things walking around.

Paradise Point is a must also if you have the time before your ship leaves, or do this first thing when you get off. The view is breath taking and you won't be dissapointed. The hubby is afraid of heights and had NO problems with this. Mountain Top is also another great stop which over looks Megans Bay.

Thanks for allowing my opinion on St. Thomas. We are so looking into a time share here now that the kids are grown and out of the house.:D

Archived