4nt or 7nt for first cruise experience?

mommyof4girls

We are trying to figure out which would be better for our first cruise experience. DH & I have 4 DDs (ages 3, 4.5, 7 & 9 at time of cruise). Would it be better to do a 4 night to get a "taste" of cruising or dive right in to a 7 night? We have it narrowed down to a 4nt Disney Wonder or a 7nt Carnival Glory (same price). I know they are different experiences, however I am trying to figure out the length issue as well.

Thanks for any input to all my "newbie" questions. I have learned so much surfing these boards!

With kids that age, do Mickey. Of course you may not see them for 4 days from what I've been reading. Some say the programs are tremendous and kids want to stay in these programs. You get a beeper to be called if the child needs something. Then there's adult areas. You can kill two birds with one stone with this trip.

I would choose the 7 day over 4 day, regardless of which line it's on! Both Carnival and Disney are great for kids.

Just think, on the 4th day of your Carnival cruise you'll still have 3 more to go! If you take Disney, you'll be schlepping your bags to your car on the 4th day.

Go with Carnival!

Is this a trick question? ;)

Always go for the longer cruise. It's not like you are asking for a 4 day verses a 21 day. :)

I am willing to bet the itinerary is better on the 7 day. I am guessing Disney's 4 day is Nassau and Cataway Cay? And Castaway Cay is one of those islands that because of weather can SOMETIMES be skipped (currents get too strong to tender safely)

So if I had a choice between 4 days and 7 days with more ports, then I would pick 7 days. The kids won't care. They won't even remember your name while they are at the kids club...either one of them....I assure you.

The ship is not tendered at Castaway Cay. Disney has created a pier for its ships.

Your kids are in the Disney "sweet spot". I would do Disney - unless you like to gamble - as the shore excursions - especially for the young ones won't be a big deal.

As was stated, longer cruises are alway better than short cruises. See if you can pull off a 7 day Disney cruise! At least 7 days are required to really get in the swing of things.

We did a four-day for our first cruise, and that really worked well for us. We had only one child with us (she was 21 months at the time). We thought we'd love cruising, but of course you don't really know until you're there. The four-night was a perfect introduction for us. Since that first cruise, we've always done at least seven-day cruises. Now, a four-night would just seem so short to us, and we have to fly to whatever port the ship sails from, so we get more bang for the buck with a longer cruise.

As far as Disney or Carnival, I can't compare as we've been on only Carnival and Princess. But, I can tell you that our DD absolutely loves Camp Carnival! Check my signature line for the what ages she's cruised at--Camp Carnival has been her favorite part of each of our cruises. Sometimes I have to blast her out of there just so we can spend time together. :D

Either way you go, have a wonderful cruise!

Cheers,

Jayne

:)

You guys are making me feel guilty. We've signed up for a 10-day cruise for our first experience. Disney was out of the question and RCCL was full so we're going Celebrity.

The shortest cruises in the Med are 7 days. Okay, maybe shorter exist but to drag down there with the bags and all, it wasn't worth it for anything less. I think there are more shorter cruises in the Carabbean.

For our daughter's first cruise at 23 months old, we did a 3-day Carnival one (Baja Calif.). We were already experienced cruisers by then but this was our daughter's first overnight away from home. It went great. There's a little marketplace by the Ensenada pier so we didn't even go into the city -- which was fine by me. After the cruise, we drove down to San Diego and spent a few days there.

The ship is not tendered at Castaway Cay. Disney has created a pier for its ships.

You're right! We missed Castaway Cay because the currents were too bad and the ship kept turning sideways and the captain was unable to dock. I was thinking tendering like RCCL because of the bad weather but it was actually the entire ship couldn't dock,

But we were never able to make it to Castaway cay. The captain tried and tried. :(

You guys are making me feel guilty. We've signed up for a 10-day cruise for our first experience. Disney was out of the question and RCCL was full so we're going Celebrity.

If we're making you feel guilty, you're making me feel jealous!!! :D I wish I could do a 10-day cruise! I would trade a 7-day anytime for 10 days at sea. You are very lucky...enjoy!

We chose a 5-night for our first cruise with the kids (3 & 6). I figure that's a happy medium. It leaves on a Monday, so even with arriving a day early, there's no rush to leave immediately after work/school. Also when we return we have a whole day to "recup" at home before heading back to normal life.

I think that the hassle factor of a cruise is the up-front part- the packing, travelling to the pier, the embarkation, getting settled in the cabin, signing the kids up for the kids' program. Then starts the fun! So I would definitely go for the 7 day cruise because there is more time to relax.

Before we started cruising, we took ski vacations, and the hassle there is also up front so we were better off with a week of skiing than three days.

Barb

Our first cruise with our 4 kids was a 4 day to the Bahamas. They were 8,13,13,14. The 3 teenagers were all right to go about their business to the kids club, etc. but it was a hassle w/the 8 yo. I didn't find it to be very relaxing on sea days as I was always getting up from my pool chair to either check him in/out of camp carnival. He wanted to be there and since he wasn't at least 9 yo he had to be checked in/out by one of his parents. The camp would often end just when we had got settled in doing something. Just my opinion- it was more of a hassle. Our second cruise the kids were 10, 16,16,17. It was a 7 day and was much more relaxing (for me). Plenty to keep all 4 busy and let hubby and I have a little time too.

I don't know if you booked yet but LONGER is always better! My dh & kids first cruise this summer is 14 NIGHTS! I know if we went on a 7 day, my DH would say, I wish it was longer (he always does on vacations). Especially if you are flying, the airfare alone doesn't make it worth it if you are only going 4 days. Let us know what you choose.

event.png

Archived