Oopss. . . debarkment from Long Beach??

I got my package today.

I just noticed that they said not to plan a LAX flight before 2 something. Pride is supposed to arrive in port at 9:00. For some reason, I thought I read on the website not to plan before noon. We have a 11:55 am flight (yes, I thought I could cheat by 5 min) out of LAX.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any idea on whether this is doable, or do I need to try and reschedule?

Thanks!

The only person who can really answer your question is you, when you get back of course.

There can be several factors involved in making your flight on time.

Will the ship be cleared in a timely manner for let passengers off?

Will there be traffic on the way to the airport?

Will there be long lines for check in?

Will there be long lines for security?

LAX is a busy airport.

Decide what you are comfortable with.

Each day is different.

No one can disembark the Pride until it clears Customs and Imagration... and the drug sniffing dogs, since this ship only stops in Mexico. The ship is at their mercy.

When I cruised the Pride in Sept 2005, no one got off the ship until about 10:30 AM... no one. We arrived at the Port at 8:30 AM for our cruise and witnessed all the events that occured.

This meant that we did not start boarding until 12:30 PM.

I'm not trying to freak you out. I just wanted to give you some honest expectations of what could occur.

However, when we returned from our Pride Cruise, Folks were getting off the ship at 8:00 am. We got off by 9:00.

Again, the ship is at the mercy of Customs and Imagration.

Thank you all!

I don't know what I was thinking that day.

When cruising from Miami, we always got off early. We would book a noonish-1ish flight, but we always picked up an earlier one. These were all pre-9/11.

The LA situation is much different. . .Customs, traffic, airport (our airline says we need to be there 45 min early, I am presuming that is through security before then), perhaps fog! It sounds like the 11:55 will probably be too tight.

We can change for $100.00 per flight or we can press our luck. . .

I guess the good news is that it is at the end of the cruise. We are arriving a day early, so we won't have a problem then.

Thank you all for your input!

Is Long Beach a port where the ship is also delayed sometimes due to fog???

Yes. Contrary to "popular belief", we do get weather [trust me, its not always "72 and sunny"] in S. California... :D

We had an 11:35 am flight a couple weeks ago and we were cutting it a little close. We made it so do not fear. Don't pay to change the flights yet. If you miss your flight, you can probably catch a leter one and pay more like $50.00 to change. On the last day at sea, take your proof of early flight to the purser and they will give you early debarkation tags for your luggage. This is the first luggage off of the ship and will be waiting for you in the dome. If you are in a hurry, do not do self assist unless you have 1 bag. It will be a pain. Anyway, you will be OK. Also, book your transportation ahead of time. That way, it will be there waiting for you. Have fun!

Take your flight tickets to the pursuers desk and they will give you luggage tags that are the first color called when debarkment starts. We did that on our last cruise and we were off in plenty of time. I know there are hangups sometimes getting off, but we made a 9:35 a.m. Amtrak connection. Enjoy your trip!

We can change for $100.00 per flight or we can press our luck. . .

I don't think FOG will be an issue at the end of April. It's been in the mid to high 70's lately in most parts of California.

Check the airlines to see how full the 2:00 pm flight is. If it's not very full, then I would gamble and keep your 11:55 flight. I think you can always take a later flight if you miss the first one. Call the Airline and ask. And I'm sure they will still charge you the serive fees to change flight... but at least you have a chance of saving $100.

If the other flights look like they are nearly full, then you may want to rebook now.

Good luck. :)

The good news is that you're getting back on a Sunday and much of the time (emphasizing much), there is less traffic on the 405 in the morning. And it's not a holiday weekend. I'm not sure if you're cutting it too close, but as others said above, if immigration and customs is running behind, there's nothing you or Carnival can do about it.

I don't think FOG will be an issue at the end of April. It's been in the mid to high 70's lately in most parts of California.
But it was foggy in Long Beach Saturday night, less than 2 miles from where the Pride docks. Daytime high temperatures in the 70's do not mean the marine layer didn't come in. Our usual weather report for the area, March through June is "Night and morning low clouds, burning off to hazy sunshine in the afternoon." I have been off the Pride and home ( a 30 minute drive) as early as 9:00 a.m. and as late as 1:00 p.m. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Enjoy

Ron

You can make your flight, though you will be cutting it close. If things go wrong, you might miss your flight, but then that is true of any port.

Carnival offers a self debarkation. That means you have to be able to carry all your bags off yourself, in one trip. You better take advantage of that. You will be one of the first ones off if you do that.

Next, take a taxi. It will take less time than trying to rent and return a rental car.

If you are off the ship by 9:30am (which is likely, but not a certainty) then you should make it to LAX by 10:30 or 11:00 (which, as I said, is cutting it close for a noon flight).

Archived