Edinburgh Infor

We will be sailing on Royal Princess from SouthHampton 8/23. I wonder how far it might be and what it might cost to travel from Edinburgh to St Andrews? We love golf and thought we must pay homeage to the Golf MECCA while there.

I know St. Andrews is the golf mecca of the world but it is the most wind blown place we have ever been to and as far as the golf course, it is so open to the elements. I was so disappointed when we went there. It is so different from what I know of golf courses.

Jennie

We will be sailing on Royal Princess from SouthHampton 8/23. I wonder how far it might be and what it might cost to travel from Edinburgh to St Andrews? We love golf and thought we must pay homeage to the Golf MECCA while there.
This is probably not the answer you are looking for but doesn't Princess offer a tour to St. Andrews. Last year we took one in the afternoon for 4 hours, about $40pp, which gave DH just enough time there to "pay homeage", take photos, and purchase some items. It included a tour of the Cathedral ruins. Returning they had traffic backed up for miles and miles and we arrived back at the ship VERY late but since it was a Princess tour no problem. Apparently the police do this to question drives, if there has been a prior accident, and ask if they have seen anything.

I did a search on Google for Edinburgh tours st andrews

and found http://www.scotlinetours.co.uk/html/st_andrews.html

but there are lots more.

Thank you for the link. We won't be able to use this service as we are going to the Military Tattoo presentation Saturday evening ( must be back to catch the bus ) before this service returns.

I know St. Andrews is the golf mecca of the world but it is the most wind blown place we have ever been to and as far as the golf course, it is so open to the elements. I was so disappointed when we went there. It is so different from what I know of golf courses.

Jennie

Thanks for the reply....we are from the "Windy City" ( chicago, so a little wind won't deter us.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for but doesn't Princess offer a tour to St. Andrews. Last year we took one in the afternoon for 4 hours, about $40pp, which gave DH just enough time there to "pay homeage", take photos, and purchase some items. It included a tour of the Cathedral ruins. Returning they had traffic backed up for miles and miles and we arrived back at the ship VERY late but since it was a Princess tour no problem. Apparently the police do this to question drives, if there has been a prior accident, and ask if they have seen anything.

You are correct, I missed that one. With all the other tours we have booked I can't believe I missed it. Thank you for your help.

Hi Phil!

My wife Greta and I (Bill) are also on the 8/23 Royal Princess cruise with you. We have a thread going over in the "Princess Rollcall" section. At least one of our posters has extensive experience in Scotland, and we also have some golf enthusiasts among our small group of posters. Stop by and say hi!fing30.gif

Link to Royal Princess 8/23 thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=26727&page=1&pp=25

Hope to see you soon!fing34.gif

Naperleigh, you will love the Military Tattoo. We were docked in Edinburgh for two days and saw it in 2002 -- the night the Queen attended at the end of her Jubilee. The cruise line had bought 750 tickets in the East stands and we sat just in front of the box where she sat. Her limo drove to the bottom of the bleachers and she walked up the bleachers just like everyone else, and waved to the crowd. Seating there is very tight (and a bit uncomfortable) but the show is great. They say no photography, but we saw flash bulbs going off all night. Bring a jacket. When the sun goes down, it gets chilly.

The concierage on our ship (Crystal Symphony -- I don't know about other ships) arranged tee times for players at St. Andrews but not on the Old Course. We went there on an afternoon tour also and loved it. I never realized how close the beach is to the course.

P.S. We were in Naperville to be volunteers at a golf tournament a few years ago. Lovely area!

Hi Phil!

My wife Greta and I (Bill) are also on the 8/23 Royal Princess cruise with you. We have a thread going over in the "Princess Rollcall" section. At least one of our posters has extensive experience in Scotland, and we also have some golf enthusiasts among our small group of posters. Stop by and say hi!fing30.gif

Link to Royal Princess 8/23 thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=26727&page=1&pp=25

Hope to see you soon!>

Thanks Bill - I will check out the roll call for the Royal!

Archived