Not tipping waiter and busboy at all. Didn't work for it

steveaaaa

I decided to start this thread because of another thread on not using the room steward.

If you ate every meal at the lido, do you still have to tip the Waiter and bus boy? Keep in mind that a tip is for service provided and they are not providing you service as you are not there. The suggested guidelines per Carnival are for the waiter and busboy not the lido crew.Do they need to add a tip for them too? How about including the tipping in the cruise fare so no one gets stiffed.

I am sure I will get the reply here that they are the same people who work in the dining room who clean the tables in the lido. Is it not the same people at Mcdonalds who work behind the counter who come out and clean the table?

Steve

Steve, yes the same waiters in the dining room work the Lido, they clean it up (and that is a harder job than the dining room IMO)... the tip is standard and covers the waiter and busboy period, regardless of where you eat (it is not stated on Carnivals tipping guidline that the tip is specifically for the waiter in the dining room.. as they are one in the same)

And, could we have just ONE MORE tipping thread open on the board? LOL!! Maybe we can just combine all the tipping threads with all the hurricane threads with all the "overboard" threads, LOL...

Steve your dining room staff do double duty in the lido buffet area as well as serving you in the dining room. The tip for the DR staff takes care of their service in both places. Also the nighttime buffets.

I have to agree with the others, I know I've seen our dining room waiters working the buffets on every cruise I've ever been on. While tipping is totally up to the individual, I wouldn't feel right not doing it.

Terri

Pay your recommened Shipboard TIP. It is the cost of cruising. Do it in your sail and sign. The ships pecking order has already decided how this money gets divided up. You shouldn't worry about how to re-dice the TIP pool.

Give extra if you want, but TIP acording to CCL guidelines. If you have an issue with service, see the Head Waiter or Purser right away. I guarantee that service will improve.

Now, Tipping of Porters... ;)

this one i agree on :)......we always eat in the dining room, but even if we ate only lido, the tips would be the same.....i have no problem tipping suggested amounts for services rendered.....even if i had a really bad waiter id still tip the suggested amount...because he still had to perform the task....he just didnt do it WELL :)........

I know that they are the same people in the lido as in the dining room, so a family of 4 eating only in the lido would pay $140 in tips for some one to clean off a table for a week?

They are not preparing the food,just cleaning off the table.That is all I have ever had done for me and I have been on a few ships.

Thus the reason to add it in the fare.

Steve

I agree. Too many tipping threads. However, just as a point of information, this is quoted directly from Carnival's 2004-2005 big brochure:

Tipping:

The total amount will be $10 per guest per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

Stateroom service - $3.60 per guest per day;

Dining Room Team Service - $5.50 per guest per day;

Alternative Dining Service and Incentives for Dining Staff - $0.90 per guest per day.

So - actually, the $5.50 IS for the dining room team, and the Lido staff gets the 90cents.

So the answer would be....if you only ate in the Lido, the 90 cents a day would apply?? A family of 4 would tip $25 for a week. That seems reasonable does it not?

If the tips were part of the cruise fare, then everyone would be taken care of fairly.

Steve

You know what I don't like? The baggage handlers at Embarkment, they take your bags and then hold out their hand, last trip the man said $5.00 :eek: (I was floored) - I can just as easily walk a few more steps and put my bag in the luggage area. I think you should choose what tip you think appropriate ecspecially if you didn't even ask for the service.

I don't understand all these tipping threads lately? If you don't want to tip, don't tip. Simple as that.

Yes, most of the members on here won't agree with that but they will never know will they? What is the point of these threads other than to get members riled up? Some of the people doing this are seasoned cruisers and they know the reaction these threads will cause.

The bottom line is tipping is suggested but not manditory. It's your own choice. Whether others on this board agree with you doesn't really matter does it? You are going to do what you want to anyway.

As far as it being added in your cruisefare...it's not and I don't see that changing any time soon. Get used to it or find another type of vacation.

you are able to adust your tips down. Your reasoning seems fair. If you would feel better deny all tips and give out the cash to those that you feel worked for it. this is time consuming though and much easier to just leave it on the card.

No, it certainly does NOT sound fair...$25. Geez, give me a break, Steve! I was merely quoting Carnival's guidelines. I can't imagine anybody not EVER availing themselves of the dining room on a cruise. I think those would be few and far between. Obviously more folks use the dining room than the Lido dining area, especially for the evening meal.

Mental note: Cotton will never read another tipping/dress code/kids-on-cruise thread.:rolleyes:

Kristi, there are about 10 threads on page one alone that are meant to do just that, start controversy and get everyone riled up... Sucks the fun right out of the boards. Not sure why people start threads just to get peoples reactions? Oh well...

I could care less if you tip or not... however, the more people that don't the more the pricing of cruising will change... I wish they would add it to the cruise price and be done with it... then I am sure anyone that wants to cheap their way out of it will start wanting a lower fare because they don't need their room cleaned, or some other reason they pull out of their ear to get around it.

What would the tips be for a family of four at a land based destination eating in good restaurants? Easily $30 per day.

The original thread was eating at the lido, so apples to apples the restaurant would have to be a buffet style such as Home town buffet or old country buffet. Since you are service yourself I would assume a couple dollars for the person cleaning the table off.I have never tried to tip the meat carver guy though?

Steve

I actually spoke to a few people on the last cruise who have never eaten in the dining room They just didn't want to bother whether because they have kids or they would rather be doing something else at the time One family with little kids ate only on the Lido or got room service.

Archived