Cruise Line help please

woodmill100

We'd like to do 2 cruises, one from Vancouver to Anchorage and the other Ancorage to Vancouver. We've found a lovely HAL cruise to get us to ANC.

Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord which is perfect for us.

I am however, finding it difficult to find a itinery (can be on any other ship) to take us back to Vancouver and not repeat all of the above, especially Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. One repeat port would be fine but not 3.

Is anyone experienced enough to help me find an intinery? Being in the UK, the brochures here are dreadful and many are quite out of date.

Thanks if anyone can help!

I think Juneau is on just about every ship's itinerary! In 2007, HAL's northbound Volendam goes to Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Sitka, and Hubbard Glacier on Fridays: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20070608:V728:AVN007&dest=A

Princess goes to College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan out of Whittier on Saturdays (Diamond/Sapphire) Mondays (Coral/Island), and Wednesdays (Pacific Princess - which won't be in Alaska in 2008). HAL's Ryndam and Statendam (Sundays) have a similar itinerary, and substitute Haines for Skagway on the southbound.

Do you plan some time in between cruises for sightseeing? Are you locked into having your flights from Vancouver? Seattle? Anchorage?

Just for fun, here's an itinerary with 4 days between the cruises for spending some time interior Alaska.

Pacific Princess Northbound

Wed Vancouver

Thur Inside Passage sailing

Fri Ketchikan

Sat Tracy Arm sailing am, Juneau pm

Sun Skagway

Mon Hubbard Glacier sailing

Tue College Fjord sailing

Wed Whittier

HAL Ryndam Southbound

Sun Seward

Mon College Fjord sailing

Tue Glacier Bay Nat'l Park

Wed Haines

Thur Juneau

Fri Ketchikan

Sat Inside Passage sailing

Sun Vancouver

You'd get in all four main glacier sailing areas of the mass-market Alaska cruises, with only College Fjord (well worth a repeat!), Juneau, and Ketchikan repeated. Skagway and Haines are trade-offs

I know there're other great combinations, including Sitka and Hoonah, but not knowing more details, such as if you're planning flights round-trip Anchorage or Seattle/Vancouver, when you're planning to travel, or if you have extra sightseeing time makes for too many variables.:)

I should've mentioned above that HAL ships go to and from Seward, and Princess ships go to and from Whittier on the one-ways. If you want to cruise in 2008, the Pacific Princess will not be an option, because it's supposed to be in Europe next summer.

I think you'll find that the Radiance of the Seas southbound from Seward to Vancouver offers about as much variety in the route as you'll find - Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000ilC6IFF7pcAtiMbOMPliRS1:10ktmerri?packageCode=RD07A015&date=20073&selectedCurrencyCode=CAD&promoType=

Murray

Those cruises sounds great. Ideally we want to fly in and out of Vancouver as it's easier for the UK. We're looking at June 08 which sounds an age away but these cruises are going to be released soon so I want to be as prepared as possible. Yes, we'd love some time in Alaska between cruises too.

Thanks everyone for responding.

From everything I have read Seward is a great place to spend a day or two (we are spending 2).

If I were going to do a B2B I would opt for Vancouver to Whittier - then Seward to Vancouver - with a couple days inbetween. You could even take the train from ehittier to Anchorage - enjoy a couple days there - much to see in downtown and they have a free shuttle in the downtown area - plus a shuttle that will take you to the Alaska Native Heritage Center outside of town. Then take the train back to Seward - spend a day or two there. Or you could rent a car. If you have more time there is LOTS to see outside anchorage.

We are still in the planning stages for our '08 cruise to Alaska. We have already gone to Alaska twice (Seattle-Seattle and Whittier-Vancouver). There are some ports out there that we have not seen. Unfortunately, it seems like you have to take the good with the bad (meaning port repeats) on itineraries. Below is what we are considering as an option:

Vancover-Inside Passage-Ketchikan-Icy Strat Point-Juneau-Sitka-Hubbard-Seward (Volendam)---Spend two days in Seward before embarking on 2nd cruise.

Seward-College Fjords-Glacier Bay-Haines-Juneau-Ketchikan-Inside Passage-Vancouver (Ryndam)

For us, we have not visited Hubbard, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, and Seward. The above option will allow us to see new ports as well as take in all 3 glaciers.

There is much more to do in Seward than there is in Whittier. Whittier does however offer a great glacier cruise. In choosing a cruise line you should be aware of the possibility of propulsion (pod) problems on the Celebrity Infinity and Summit for any Alaskan cruise this year.

Archived