Anyone use two different sea sick meds?

PJNJcruise5

I' ve always used Bonine for my sea sickness and had pretty good results. I still can get alittle quesy in rough waters. My question is this has anyone takin Bonine while using the scop patch? I think this was posted some time ago but, I don't remember the replies. I'm hesistant to try the patch alone without knowing if it will work. I would rather take the Bonine first before the cruise and use the patch if it gets really rough. The biggest thing I learned from my first cruise you have to treat sea sickness before you feel sick, or it is hard to get rid of. Has anyone taken both was there any bad interactions between the two?

I get motion sickness very easily. But if I start taking the Bonine tablets two days before I leave for the cruise and each day while on the cruise, even in rough seas, I have not been sick. I also wear sea bands. After the cruise, for two or three days, I also take a Bonine tablet. When others are turning green, I've been ok! I hope this method continues to work for me when we cruise the Fantasy in May.

I felt a little queasy one night while on Bonimine. I would not take another med with it but I did take some ginger with it and it worked with no side effects. I beleive if you read the patch insert it says do not combine with other meds for seasickness.

I used the patch one cruise and my vision was extremely blurred. Never again. This time I took ginger pills every morning and night. Only once or twice I felt I needed a little more and popped a bonine. Worked like a charm and no side effects. Try the ginger.

I wouldn't recommend combining the Scopolamine Patch with any other med- actually, I don't recommend this patch at all. Like ballinafad, I had nasty side effects from it.

You're definitely on target when you mention that once you're truly sea sick, it's hard to get rid of that feeling! The OTC meds (Bonine, Dramamine, ginger, etc) all are preventatives, not treatments. The Scopolamine Patch is also a preventative- once you get sea sick, none of these will work.

The ship's doctor will have treatment medicine. In my case, I was given a drug called phenergan, but I'm sure there are other drugs (like Zofram?). Worked like a miracle! Anyway- if you do get sick in spite of taking a preventative, don't add another preventative- go to the Infirmary for the treatment meds. Yes, it costs a little, but salvaging your enjoyment of your cruise is worth it!

what would be the problem with taking both bonine and ginger (a natural root). I have gotten both for my wife. i understand ginger is for queasy stomach, and bonine is for inner ear.

I used 12.5mg Meclizine (Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine) in the mornings, and took 2mg of Zofran or 12.5mg of Phenergan at night, because invariably I would get sick after dinner, we had really, really rough seas. I used Zofran ODT if I wanted to be more alert, Phenergan if I needed a good nights' sleep!

I have a prescription for Scopolamine patches, but the anti-cholinergic side effects (dry mouth, blurred vision, rapid heartrate, dilated pupils) just sound so unappealing, I've never gotten it filled.

The Meclizine/Antivert/Bonine/Non-Drowsy Dramamine is to PREVENT motion sickness. I just also needed something to get rid of the full-blown queasies once I was already feeling bad. Heck, I got one of the doctors I work with to give me a prescription paper to take with me, and I carried syringes and IM Phenergan just in case I got too sick to hold anything down. (Don't freak out, I'm a nurse...I could have given them to myself, or went down to the infirmary.)

When I was packing for my 11 day New England/Canada cruise I noticed I only had about 8 Non-Drowsy Dramamine left in the tube, so I bought a tube of Bonine. I took a Bonine approx 1 hour before boarding the ship in New York. That evening at dinner, we were rocking ever so slightly but our table at dinner faced aft and we could see the moonlight on the wake of the ship. About half way through dinner, I started feeling a little queasy. I was just about to ask for the blinds to be lowered, when the ship staff lowered the blinds. Don't know if others were complaining or just why they closed them, but I was glad they did. After the show, we went to the cabin and went to bed, but I was still a little queasy. The next day I switched to my Dramamine, took one every day and had no more queasy feeling, until they ran out. Then had no choice but to take a Bonine the last at sea day, but I was okay. I tried to buy some Dramamine in Quebec, but they don't sell it in Canada.

So I would advise to buy a tube of Non-Drowsy Dramamine and a tube of Bonine, so if one doesn't work, you have something else, but don't take them both the same day.

When I was packing for my 11 day New England/Canada cruise I noticed I only had about 8 Non-Drowsy Dramamine left in the tube, so I bought a tube of Bonine. I took a Bonine approx 1 hour before boarding the ship in New York. That evening at dinner, we were rocking ever so slightly but our table at dinner faced aft and we could see the moonlight on the wake of the ship. About half way through dinner, I started feeling a little queasy. I was just about to ask for the blinds to be lowered, when the ship staff lowered the blinds. Don't know if others were complaining or just why they closed them, but I was glad they did. After the show, we went to the cabin and went to bed, but I was still a little queasy. The next day I switched to my Dramamine, took one every day and had no more queasy feeling, until they ran out. Then had no choice but to take a Bonine the last at sea day, but I was okay. I tried to buy some Dramamine in Quebec, but they don't sell it in Canada.

So I would advise to buy a tube of Non-Drowsy Dramamine and a tube of Bonine, so if one doesn't work, you have something else, but don't take them both the same day.

I think your mind was working thinking that one was better than the other... Non-Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine have the identical chemical formulation; Meclizine HCL..

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

I was a tad queasy on my first cruise, and went to the infirmary to see if they had scopolomine patches. I had Dramamine with me. The nurse said "no we don't have those, and we really don't recommend them..." I said "why?" and she just smiled and said "we just don't recommend them..." and offered me a handful of individually wrapped Dramamine tabs. Sooo, they have them for free if anyone wants them. Also, stay midship and you'll feel better. If you are at either the front end or butt end of the boat you will fee worse if it the seas are choppy..

Now I am a confirmed patch user. Like everything in life, some people can use them and some can't. I am extreme motion sickness case - I get seasick just watching the little boats bob up and down in my daughter's bath!

I used the patch on my 1st cruise and loved it - no side effects. We hit really rough waters the 1st night out. About 75% of the dining room ran out looking green around the gills. Me? Just sat there slurping my soup (the only way to eat when the boat was rocking like that!) and thanking the medical powers that be for making my cruise enjoyable. Then, horrors!, they stopped making the patch for a while so I tried Bonine. They didn't really do the trick (they took the edge off, but I still felt a little out of sorts). So glad they have the patch back!

But, as others have said, don't combine any 2 preventatives. Just make sure you start whatever method you choose at least the day before your cruise, if not 2 days prior. Even though Dramamine and Bonine say "non-drowsy", you should still take them in the evening before bed (for the 24-hour ones) 'cause they can still make you feel a little hazy around the edges.

As for the ginger, you can get ginger pills in health food stores and just take them until you get that gingery aftertaste. Some people swear by them, but I've been too scared that they wouldn't work on me and I'd spend my trip in the infirmary so I haven't tried them.

I have the wrist bands, Dramamine, and Bonine in my carry-on. I think I am prepared for my cabin.... and the two next to ours!!!:p

I talked to my doctor because I am scared that I will get sick. I told her I was on a cruise many years ago, to which I did not get seasick. She proceeded to tell me that if I didn't get sick then, I more than likely will not get sick now. I sure hope that's true!

• 6 years later...
I used 12.5mg Meclizine (Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine) in the mornings, and took 2mg of Zofran or 12.5mg of Phenergan at night, because invariably I would get sick after dinner, we had really, really rough seas. I used Zofran ODT if I wanted to be more alert, Phenergan if I needed a good nights' sleep!

I have a prescription for Scopolamine patches, but the anti-cholinergic side effects (dry mouth, blurred vision, rapid heartrate, dilated pupils) just sound so unappealing, I've never gotten it filled.

The Meclizine/Antivert/Bonine/Non-Drowsy Dramamine is to PREVENT motion sickness. I just also needed something to get rid of the full-blown queasies once I was already feeling bad. Heck, I got one of the doctors I work with to give me a prescription paper to take with me, and I carried syringes and IM Phenergan just in case I got too sick to hold anything down. (Don't freak out, I'm a nurse...I could have given them to myself, or went down to the infirmary.)

Do you take the Zofran ODT before the cruise or after you are sailed?

I' ve always used Bonine for my sea sickness and had pretty good results. I still can get alittle quesy in rough waters. My question is this has anyone takin Bonine while using the scop patch? I think this was posted some time ago but, I don't remember the replies. I'm hesistant to try the patch alone without knowing if it will work. I would rather take the Bonine first before the cruise and use the patch if it gets really rough. The biggest thing I learned from my first cruise you have to treat sea sickness before you feel sick, or it is hard to get rid of. Has anyone taken both was there any bad interactions between the two?

Transderm Scop (the patches) should NEVER be used with Bonine or any other antihistamine. This information is clearly mentioned in the prescribing info for this drug. Back in the days when I was a paramedic about 10% of my emergency calls were related to serious drug interactions....and I could have filled a book with comments from patients who would say "I did not know you couldn't mix drugs."

The patch does work well to prevent sea sicknesses, but there is often a price to be paid for using this drug. The patch has many potential side effects (some quite nasty) which is why you will never find a cruise ship physician who gives out this drug onboard ships (most cruise ship physicians recommend Bonine (Meclizine Hcl). DW used to use the patch but found that after about 2 days her vision was slightly blurred preventing her from comfortably reading her books. We have also heard interesting Transderm Scop stores from a part-time cruise ship physician (a friend from Florida) who had several cases of hallucinations and sleep walking (one women did this totally nude through the halls of a ship). Most folks do fine with the patch, but you need to be aware of the risks :)

Hank

Transderm Scop (the patches) should NEVER be used with Bonine or any other antihistamine. This information is clearly mentioned in the prescribing info for this drug. Back in the days when I was a paramedic about 10% of my emergency calls were related to serious drug interactions....and I could have filled a book with comments from patients who would say "I did not know you couldn't mix drugs."

.................... :)

Hank

Ask your pharmacist if you are taking any prescription drugs. The sea-sick meds can react badly with some prescription meds.

I get sick by just looking at the boats. Start ginger 2-3 days before the cruise, and continue 2-3 days after to avoid "sea legs". Bonine is only for rough seas. Once we got into rough seas at night, and I woke up quizzy and pale. Took Bonine thinking that probably have to see the ship doctor, but no, a couple of hours later, still in rough seas, felt back to normal. (This was crossing the Polar Circle, along Norway coast)

As one who gets seasick very easily, upon the advice of my M.D., I use both the patch and ginger capsules in combination. I had tried each of them individually with limited success. The first cruise where I used the combination was one to Antarctica. We had over 45-ft seas from the Falklands down to Antarctica. The combination worked like a dream.

I would not combine medications without talking to my physician.

Archived