QE2 First Class Cabins......

Kindlychap

The most expensive accomodation was a Deluxe Suite which was 2 Q3s with one set up as a sitting room. The price was $5,540 per person one way on One Deck and $5,300 per person one way on Two Deck. And, yes, these were 5 day TAs.

BTW, the brochure price was all that there was in those days. There were a few round-trip and off season discounts, but there were no last minute specials or any of the internet type discounts that may be offered these days.

thanks,

proving once again, that even with today's dollar at yesterday's prices, I still couldn't afford it! Darn.

Guess I'll have to find me a millionaire to cozy up with!

Now hush up, y'all about whether or not there were signs or postings in the

program. Let this man bask in the glory.

Think about what he has just posted here.

He has a copy of the VERY FIRST brochure from here inaugural season.

Hellooo!

That is simply marvelous!

How many here can claim that!

Karie,

who is a pack rat, but I only save useless worthless junk!

I still maintain that all of the present C-2 rooms were all first class rooms. Would someone set the record straight.

The last time I was onboard (Christmas) I was in cabin 1104.

It's just dawned on me - the best thing I could do would be to post the section of my video that shows the cabin and its location. The black patches at two points as obscuring Paul - he's a very shy chap and doesn't like his picture on the Internet!:)

The video can be downloaded at http://rapidshare.com/files/25447198/Cabin_1104.wmv

It's only just over 7MB so it shouldn't take too long to download.

I've looked at the current and original deck plans and at the original rate schedule. Almost all of the current C-2 cabins were originally first class. There are only 2 exceptions: 1104 and 1105. Looking at the original plan (which is very large and has all cabin furniture and fixtures indicated) it is clear that 1104 and 1105 were not even the largest tourist class cabins. 1118, 1119, 1120 and 1121 were larger. I've also noticed that most of the original first class double staterooms had 2 portholes. The original tourist class doubles (including 1104 and 1105) had only one.

Calliope: In the mid 70's, with the shuffling around of restaurants (addition of the Queen's Grill, change of the Grill Room into the Princess Grill, etc) and the addition of the boat deck, signal deck and sports deck 1st class cabins and suites, Cunard started shuffling around the class assignments of a number of cabins that were near the borders of 1st and tourist classes on One, Two and Three decks. For example, I remember that some of the smaller 1st class Three deck double cabins were redesignated single cabins with dining assigned to the newly reopened Princess Grill. I also remember that the aft outside doubles on 2 deck (including 1104 and 1105) were, at some point, redesignated from Tourist class to 1st class with dining in the Columbia (or was it then the Caronia) dining room. Each year in the 70's there seemed to be a number of redesignations.

I've looked at the current and original deck plans and at the original rate schedule. Almost all of the current C-2 cabins were originally first class. There are only 2 exceptions: 1104 and 1105. Looking at the original plan (which is very large and has all cabin furniture and fixtures indicated) it is clear that 1104 and 1105 were not even the largest tourist class cabins.

I also remember that the aft outside doubles on 2 deck (including 1104 and 1105) were, at some point, redesignated from Tourist class to 1st class with dining in the Columbia (or was it then the Caronia) dining room. Each year in the 70's there seemed to be a number of redesignations.

1104 is now definitely on one deck. Is your memory playing tricks or have the decks moved with the passing of years?:)

"I also remember that the aft outside doubles on 2 deck (including 1104 and 1105) were, at some point, redesignated from Tourist class to 1st class with dining in the Columbia (or was it then the Caronia) dining room. Each year in the 70's there seemed to be a number of redesignations."

Oops! Boy, I must have been tired yesterday! Sorry. What I meant to say was that the aft outside doubles on both 1 and 2 decks were redesignated from Tourist to 1st. Certainly 1104 and 1105 were never moved to 2 deck! Sorry. On 1 deck, the redesignation went all the way aft to 1120 and 1121. On 2 deck, I believe that it went back to 2141 and 2144, but I am not certain.

• 2 weeks later...
If it helps on my site I have a load of photos of a Q3 cabin that we were in: click here to see them

You may also be interested in the blog I keep with news of Cunard etc that gets upadted most days, if you like it you can subscribe for email when it si updated etc with links: click here to see my "All About Cunard" Blog

Gary - that's a Q2, not a Q3....

Matthew

If it helps on my site I have a load of photos of a Q3 cabin that we were in: click here to see them

You may also be interested in the blog I keep with news of Cunard etc that gets upadted most days, if you like it you can subscribe for email when it si updated etc with links: click here to see my "All About Cunard" Blog

I really appreciate being able to view them. My memory isn't as good as I would like. You have assisted me in recalling wonderful memories.

Archived