QE2 First Class Cabins......

Kindlychap

2004 has two portholes (one of the few C-5's that has two) and is larger than almost all the other C-5's.

Actually at 173 sq ft it is about average for a C5.

The midship Four Deck C5s that I recommend are around 201-210 sq ft.

Now, 2004 is definitely above average for one of the forward C5s... In fact along with some Four Deck forward ones that are huge (over 200 sq ft), most of the forward cabins are tiny 103-133 sq ft. They really should be M grade cabins.

Not quite. British Superliners of the Sixties has a 3 class layout for the cabins:

Interesting. I have to get a copy of that book. I've never seen plans that actually denote first, cabin and tourist.

However if you look at Two and Three decks the class divisions are really obvious - the cabins all the way forward are mostly tiny, the ones all the way aft are medium-sized and the ones amidships are big first-class cabins.

Interesting. I have to get a copy of that book. I've never seen plans that actually denote first, cabin and tourist.

It is excellent - explains the design thinking and differing outcomes in the QE2, Oriana and Canberra. It would be interesting to see a similar analysis of modern cruise ships - Grand, Radiance, Spirit, Destiny, et al.....but I guess we'll have to wait a bit.

Peter

Since I never have gotten to stay in 2004, I really don't know the square footage. But Ernie (remember Ernie-where is he by the way???) had a copy of the old deck plans and for the Winter crossing, Dec. 15, 2004, told me it was 202 sq. feet. But I got kicked out that time and then I booked it again for Jan 2006 (when I met you). But got kicked out for the second time. I am not trying again, although I would love to rock and roll in the bow. Cunard just keeps giving me those fabulous upgrades. LOL!!!

The midship Four Deck C5s that I recommend are around 201-210 sq ft.

Now, 2004 is definitely above average for one of the forward C5s... In fact along with some Four Deck forward ones that are huge (over 200 sq ft), most of the forward cabins are tiny 103-133 sq ft. They really should be M grade cabins.

So is 4006 huge - its forward on four deck and 212sq. ft according to plans

Since I never have gotten to stay in 2004, I really don't know the square footage. But Ernie (remember Ernie-where is he by the way???) had a copy of the old deck plans and for the Winter crossing, Dec. 15, 2004, told me it was 202 sq. feet.

Hmm, interesting. Conflicts with the data I have so obviously one of them is wrong.

I would be really surprised if it is quite that big, but it could be. Anyhow, it is certainly the exception as the other forward Two Deck (and Three Deck) C5s are very small.

As for Ernie, I don't want to speak for him, but I think he has been very busy lately.

Cunard just keeps giving me those fabulous upgrades. LOL!!!

LOL, well, as I said last year, I'll take your upgrades if you don't want them ;) ...

So is 4006 huge - its forward on four deck and 212sq. ft according to plans

Yes, that's huge in my book, well for a C5 anyway... It's about as big as they get. If you don't mind being far forward it (well, all of 4005-4008 really) are quite good. Much larger than the other far-forward cabins on Two and Three Deck which have managed to sneak their way into the C grade purely because they are relatively high up.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you have referred to the QE2 as having originally had 3 classes. The ship may have been planned as a 3 class ship, but she was never operated as such. Even in the preliminary brochures from 1968/69, there were only 2 classes: 1st and Tourist.

In fact, as of the time of her introduction, QE2 was the most democratic ocean liner ever built. She was the first transatlantic liner ever to have open doors between the classes. These doors were in place but they were never closed as they were on all other transatlantic liners up to that time. In the bars, the library, the "Coffee Shop" (now the Queesn's Grill Lounge), the "736 Nightclub" (now the Queen's Grill) the classes mingled freely. The dining rooms, of course were segregated: The Brittania for Tourist, the Columbia and "The Grill Room" (now the Princess Grill) for first. And there was the 1st class only sun deck aft on Sports Deck. Even the 2 indoor and 2 outdoor swimming pools were open to everyone.

All of this democracy was part of Cunard's advertising campaign for the new QE2: "Ships have been boring long enough!" This was supposed to be revolutionary. On the old Queens, the closed doors and chained stairways with signs saying "First Class Only" or "Cabin Class Only" were abundant and very visible.

I am always amused when people talk of the QE2 as the "ur" ocean liner since the partially classless society on board has always been very different from the experience on any previous large & prestigeous ocean liner.

NO:eek: All C1s are and most C2s but 1104 was certainly a second class cabin - the door is actually just past where the first class ended!:)

When was the change made? In 1980 rooms 1104 and 1105 were Grade E first class rooms. Grades F, G, and H, still first class, were all less expensive staterooms than an E room.

Some of you have referred to the QE2 as having originally had 3 classes. The ship may have been planned as a 3 class ship, but she was never operated as such.

QE2 was originally planned as 3 class, but delays in construction led to a re-think - with the upgrading of Tourist cabins to all en-suite, British Cunard management argued that Cabin class could be done away with - while the New York office argued for the retention of Three Classes. What may have swung it in the end was the calculation of how many fewer staff would be required to run a 2 class ship. As you say, she never entered service as 3 class - but the decision was taken after the stair towers had gone in.....

Peter

When was the change made? In 1980 rooms 1104 and 1105 were Grade E first class rooms. Grades F, G, and H, still first class, were all less expensive staterooms than an E room.

I don't know when/if a change was made - just that if you come out of 1104 and turn left (towards the bows) you pass through the door that could have been used to segregate the classes.

I don't know when/if a change was made - just that if you come out of 1104 and turn left (towards the bows) you pass through the door that could have been used to segregate the classes.

So you're saying as long as you remember that 1104 and 1105 have been first class rooms, and the near by doors, "could have been used to segregate the classes."

I still maintain that all of the present C-2 rooms were all first class rooms. Would someone set the record straight.

So you're saying as long as you remember that 1104 and 1105 have been first class rooms, and the near by doors, "could have been used to segregate the classes."

No. I'm saying that I don't remember the grading of the 1980s and that the doors were there to separate the classes, however from what other people have posted they were never actually used.

I still maintain that all of the present C-2 rooms were all first class rooms. Would someone set the record straight.

The last time I was onboard (Christmas) I was in cabin 1104. When you come out of the cabin you turn left, towards the bows. You pass through the doors that provided a boundary between first and second class. Cabin 1104 was in second class!

Doug, I have printed it out and will save it with my Cunard books, deck plans and etc.

I advised my Lady Boss to book a 'c' class stateroom for the April 21st crossing. She was wait listed and suddenly the wait list cleared. She does not as yet have a stateroom number, but she says she will be thrilled with whatever one she gets.

This topic on Cruise Critic is very valuable!

maybe she will get my MO that i was upgraded to QG:)

I have found my copy of the very first QE2 rates brochure dated 7/24/68. 1104 and 1105 were definitely tourist class. The cabin numbers are listed in groups, by individual type and size, with the appropriate fare listed for each group. BTW, the minimum first class transatlantic fare was $396 per person in the "thrift season". If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

Well thank god these new pods don't rattle like the propellers on old ships like QE2 :D

Ken

If I wanted to pretend I was not at sea I would fly across the Atlantic. For me, at least, part of the timeless charm of a true express 'liner is the traditional propulsion system like that on QE2. It reminds you that you are aboard a machine that is contending with the considerable forces of the North Atlantic. I sleep like a baby on QE2, in large part because of the background symphony of engines and propellers and the sound of the sea rushing by. Call me eccentric, but I have little use for the vibration-free hair dryers that hang under the hulls of the barges they build nowadays, QM2 included.

Richard

If I wanted to pretend I was not at sea I would fly across the Atlantic. For me, at least, part of the timeless charm of a true express 'liner is the traditional propulsion system like that on QE2. It reminds you that you are aboard a machine that is contending with the considerable forces of the North Atlantic. I sleep like a baby on QE2, in large part because of the background symphony of engines and propellers and the sound of the sea rushing by. Call me eccentric, but I have little use for the vibration-free hair dryers that hang under the hulls of the barges they build nowadays, QM2 included.

Richard

Richard - you will do very well on the Tandem crossing. I foresee much consumption of champagne whilst laughing at the Victoria trying to cope!

Matthew

I have found my copy of the very first QE2 rates brochure dated 7/24/68. 1104 and 1105 were definitely tourist class. The cabin numbers are listed in groups, by individual type and size, with the appropriate fare listed for each group. BTW, the minimum first class transatlantic fare was $396 per person in the "thrift season". If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

Wow!

I assume this was the five day TA.

How much (brochure) for the highest cabin?

Just wondering if I could afford with today's dollars even, yesterday's prices! I still doubt it! <LOL>

Karie,

who will get there one day... or not!

the minimum first class transatlantic fare was $396 per person in the "thrift season"

Equivalent to $2,222 adjusted for inflation today.....minimum EBS on a TA today starts around $3,649 for Princess Grill and $4,999 for Queen's Grill......and they keep telling us how 'cruises' are great value!

Peter

I have found my copy of the very first QE2 rates brochure dated 7/24/68. 1104 and 1105 were definitely tourist class. /QUOTE]

Thanks for the posting. Your primary source sets the matter straight.

Equivalent to $2,222 adjusted for inflation today.....minimum EBS on a TA today starts around $3,649 for Princess Grill and $4,999 for Queen's Grill......and they keep telling us how 'cruises' are great value!

Peter

Well, I don't know about that. Thrift season would be winter... and we should keep with the same ship...........and ta's were shorter back then... well..... you can do a P2 for 7 nights next Jan for less than $2600pp inc port and tax.

Some of you have referred to the QE2 as having originally had 3 classes. The ship may have been planned as a 3 class ship, but she was never operated as such. Even in the preliminary brochures from 1968/69, there were only 2 classes: 1st and Tourist.

In fact, as of the time of her introduction, QE2 was the most democratic ocean liner ever built. She was the first transatlantic liner ever to have open doors between the classes. These doors were in place but they were never closed as they were on all other transatlantic liners up to that time. In the bars, the library, the "Coffee Shop" (now the Queesn's Grill Lounge), the "736 Nightclub" (now the Queen's Grill) the classes mingled freely. The dining rooms, of course were segregated: The Brittania for Tourist, the Columbia and "The Grill Room" (now the Princess Grill) for first. And there was the 1st class only sun deck aft on Sports Deck. Even the 2 indoor and 2 outdoor swimming pools were open to everyone.

My wife and I took our first of four Transatlantic crossings in Tourist Class on the QE2 in 1973. Whilst there were no physical barriers between the classes, there were large "First Class Only" signs at all entrances to the first class public rooms, such as the Queen's Room, Midships Bar, theatre balcony, some deck spaces, etc. The daily activities sheet for Tourist had a prominent notice: "Passengers are earnestly requested to stay out of all areas marked First Class." I'm not complaining about this; it was our choice to be cheap and go Tourist and the deck plans of the time clearly showed what areas were First and Tourist. On our next voyage a few years later we went First Class (Columbia Restaurant) in a very large cabin that is now a Princess Grill grade.

Other multi-class ships we had been on in the 1970s, such as the S.S. France and the RMS Windsor Castle, had the traditional physical barriers rather than signs. This was probably less upsetting to some people than to have signs all over the ship.

Wow!

I assume this was the five day TA.

How much (brochure) for the highest cabin?

Just wondering if I could afford with today's dollars even, yesterday's prices! I still doubt it! <LOL>

Karie,

who will get there one day... or not!

The most expensive accomodation was a Deluxe Suite which was 2 Q3s with one set up as a sitting room. The price was $5,540 per person one way on One Deck and $5,300 per person one way on Two Deck. And, yes, these were 5 day TAs.

BTW, the brochure price was all that there was in those days. There were a few round-trip and off season discounts, but there were no last minute specials or any of the internet type discounts that may be offered these days.

"Passengers are earnestly requested to stay out of all areas marked First Class." I'm not complaining about this; it was our choice to be cheap and go Tourist and the deck plans of the time clearly showed what areas were First and Tourist. On our next voyage a few years later we went First Class (Columbia Restaurant) in a very large cabin that is now a Princess Grill grade.

Other multi-class ships we had been on in the 1970s, such as the S.S. France and the RMS Windsor Castle, had the traditional physical barriers rather than signs. This was probably less upsetting to some people than to have signs all over the ship.

But nothing kept the first class passangers out of tourist class. I remember many coming down saying the parties were much more lively down there! ;)

My wife and I took our first of four Transatlantic crossings in Tourist Class on the QE2 in 1973. Whilst there were no physical barriers between the classes, there were large "First Class Only" signs at all entrances to the first class public rooms, such as the Queen's Room, Midships Bar, theatre balcony, some deck spaces, etc. The daily activities sheet for Tourist had a prominent notice: "Passengers are earnestly requested to stay out of all areas marked First Class." I'm not complaining about this; it was our choice to be cheap and go Tourist and the deck plans of the time clearly showed what areas were First and Tourist. On our next voyage a few years later we went First Class (Columbia Restaurant) in a very large cabin that is now a Princess Grill grade.

This is an interesting recolection. Since I was always in First Class, I never saw the notices in the Tourist Class programs. I don't remember signs keeping Tourist Class out of First Class spaces except for the Queen's Room, the Dining and Grill Rooms and the First Class sun deck. I do remember socializing with many passengers from both classes.

Archived