QE2 First Class Cabins......

Kindlychap

I know, of course, that Q grade cabins are ex-first class, and understand that P grade are similar.

How does this fare with C1 and C2 grades? I know I should know after the Cavalcade, but I don't...

Matthew

To begin with, no one will confuse Coronia with first class. When the QE2 was built, the standard cabin sizes for the 3 classes were considerably less than they are today. As you learned in the cabin cavalcade, there is no standard cabin. It seems that many, if not most cabins are somehow different than every other cabin of that particular class.

My experience on Coronia is that many C cabins are barbell shaped: on entering the cabin, you are in a wide part of the cabin. At the foot of the beds (2), it can be so narrow that there is little room to traverse to the sitting area which widens out again. Windows will be portholes. (Also true in P2) compared to windows in the most modest outside Britannia cabin in the QM2.

A major advantage of C class is the single seating Coronia restaurant in which there is less pressure to get everyone in and out so that they can do it all over again for the second seating.

C-1 and C-2 staterooms are all "former" first class rooms with wood paneling, large portholes, and bathtubs. Also all of the current Caronia single rooms were first class Columbia Restaurant rooms.

C-1 and C-2 staterooms are all "former" first class rooms with wood paneling, large portholes, and bathtubs. Also all of the current Caronia single rooms were first class Columbia Restaurant rooms.

Thanks. Just what I was hoping for!

Matthew

C-1 and C-2 staterooms are all "former" first class rooms

NO:eek: All C1s are and most C2s but 1104 was certainly a second class cabin - the door is actually just past where the first class ended!:)

NO:eek: All C1s are and most C2s but 1104 was certainly a second class cabin - the door is actually just past where the first class ended!:)

Does 1104 have a bath?

Are there any other "interlopers" or C2 cabins to avoid?

Matthew

Does 1104 have a bath?

Yes

Are there any other "interlopers" or C2 cabins to avoid?

I didn't say that one should avoid 1104 (it is a very pleasant cabin), just that it had been a second class cabin originally. I would imagine that 1105 is the same although I've never been it it.

First, let me say that of course "original" cabins of any sort exist only on One through Five Decks. The cabins on the upper decks are all "new" later additions.

With that said... Generally speaking, on these decks, all Q cabins (except the two QS suites which are 1990s additions), all P cabins and all C1, C2 and CA cabins (except C2s 1104 and 1105) are former first-class cabins.

All C3-C6 and M cabins except some MI cabins - that is, basically all the rest - are former tourist-class cabins.

P1-P4 and C1 cabins are virtually all identical in shape and size (some a little bigger than others). Naturally, the Q3 and Q4 cabins are bigger and the C2 cabins are smaller, while P1-C1 are what was essentially the "standard" (most common) type of first-class cabin when the ship was built.

The C3 and C4 cabins and some C5 cabins are actually bigger in area than the C2 cabins. Generally speaking, most of the first-class cabins, except the C2 cabins, were much more rectangular in shape whereas the larger tourist-class cabins tend to have very odd shapes. (This applies to the C2 cabins as well.) Beware of the C5 cabin grade. It has the biggest variation in shapes and sizes of any grade, and has some wonderful cabins as well as some absolutely dreadful ones.

Virtually all former first-class cabins (even the tiny MI insides, which were originally "extra bedrooms" for the outsides adjacent to them) have copious amounts of wood panelling unlike the tourist-class cabins which had wood furniture but plain-looking Marinite panelling (my dad calls this "cardboard"). All former first-class cabins except the MI cabins (which were not originally their own cabins - as I said, they were more like "spare bedrooms") are outside and have baths. Former tourist-class cabins can be inside or outside, and have baths or showers.

It is easy to tell which is which by their location in the ship. Generally speaking, the tourist-class cabins were found on Four and Five Decks, or forward of the A stair and/or aft of the G stair on One to Three Decks. The first-class cabins were in between the A and G stairs on One to Three Decks. This is a rough estimation - the exact boundaries on each deck (One to Three) were a little different.

I really ought to take a current QE2 deck plan and insert the boundaries between first and tourist for those who are interested... Maybe later. I don't have the time at the moment.

Now, a lot of people will say, "what about cabin-class"? And yes, it is true, QE2 was meant to be a three-class ship... But most of the tourist and cabin-class cabins were interchangeable with each other. If you look at the original plans for a three-class QE2, they don't actually say "first", "cabin" and "tourist"... They say "de luxe cabins" and "standard cabins". The former are the first-class cabins and the latter are the cabin and tourist cabins. It is impossible to say which cabins would have been cabin and which would have been tourist for the simple reason that the boundary was fluid and would move based on which was more in demand. Generally speaking one can say that the cabins forward of the A stair on Two and Three Decks were tourist-class, and the ones aft of the G stair on One to Three Decks were cabin-class. As for Four and Five Decks, that is very tricky as so many of those were intended to be "either or". At any rate none of this ever happened since cabin and tourist were merged and the ship wound up with very fixed boundaries between first and tourist, as described above.

Perhaps dreadful is an overstatement - but certainly dreadfully overpriced, anyway.

Generally speaking, the better C5 cabins are mostly amidships on Four Deck, and some that are all the way aft on One through Three Decks. The ones far forward are mostly tiny.

If you look at the deck plans, the long, narrow cabins are mostly the larger ones.

First, let me say that of course "original" cabins of any sort exist only on One through Five Decks. ........ And yes, it is true, QE2 was meant to be a three-class ship.... If you look at the original plans for a three-class QE2, they don't actually say "first", "cabin" and "tourist"... They say "de luxe cabins" and "standard cabins". The former are the first-class cabins and the latter are the cabin and tourist cabins.

OMG :eek: So do you really mean to say that QE2 actually has steerage ???? :rolleyes:

Ken ;)

At least her main restaurant isn't over the propellers!:D Now that IS steerage!

Peter

Well thank god these new pods don't rattle like the propellers on old ships like QE2 :D

Ken

The size of our cabin is supposedly 212sq ft - doesnt seem that tiny to me - and we are right at the front ! We got the last cabin for 4 so didn`t get any choice - there was a waiting list for the cabin so we had to make a quick decision or we would have lost it and the opportunity to sail on what we hope is a magnificent ship.

Well thank god these new pods don't rattle like the propellers on old ships like QE2 :DKen

QE2's propellers don't rattle - the old cause of vibration in express liners of cavitation has long gone due to propeller design- most vibration is due to the diesel engines (same as Tardy Toria).

Since Tardy Toria does not go fast vibration should not be too much of a problem, except when manoevering in port - then expect to shake, rattle and roll! - especially in the Britannia dining room - right above the pods.:eek:

Another reason for avoiding the early seating......

Peter

QE2's propellers don't rattle - the old cause of vibration in express liners of cavitation has long gone due to propeller design- most vibration is due to the diesel engines (same as Tardy Toria).

Since Tardy Toria does not go fast vibration should not be too much of a problem, except when manoevering in port - then expect to shake, rattle and roll! - especially in the Britannia dining room - right above the pods.:eek:

Another reason for avoiding the early seating......

Peter

Didn't know you'd been on a Vista class :rolleyes: I've been on two and can't say I noticed any vibration anywhere - even in the Dining Room, even at early sitting ;)

Ken

Didn't know you'd been on a Vista class :rolleyes: I've been on two and can't say I noticed any vibration anywhere - even in the Dining Room, even at early sitting ;) Ken

I haven't - so why don't you post your glowing review of your Vista experience - rating ***+ vs QM2 at *****? The reports I have read from of others who have been on Vista ships include low ceilings in the dining room - and Kindlychap commented on vibration in the dining room......when leaving port....were you there then? Certainly looking forward to your review of the Queen Vista in comparison to the QM2......:rolleyes:

Peter

First, let me say that of course "original" cabins of any sort exist only on One through Five Decks. The cabins on the upper decks are all "new" later additions.

With that said... Generally speaking, on these decks, all Q cabins (except the two QS suites which are 1990s additions), all P cabins and all C1, C2 and CA cabins (except C2s 1104 and 1105) are former first-class cabins.

All C3-C6 and M cabins except some MI cabins - that is, basically all the rest - are former tourist-class cabins.

P1-P4 and C1 cabins are virtually all identical in shape and size (some a little bigger than others). Naturally, the Q3 and Q4 cabins are bigger and the C2 cabins are smaller, while P1-C1 are what was essentially the "standard" (most common) type of first-class cabin when the ship was built.

The C3 and C4 cabins and some C5 cabins are actually bigger in area than the C2 cabins. Generally speaking, most of the first-class cabins, except the C2 cabins, were much more rectangular in shape whereas the larger tourist-class cabins tend to have very odd shapes. (This applies to the C2 cabins as well.) Beware of the C5 cabin grade. It has the biggest variation in shapes and sizes of any grade, and has some wonderful cabins as well as some absolutely dreadful ones.

Virtually all former first-class cabins (even the tiny MI insides, which were originally "extra bedrooms" for the outsides adjacent to them) have copious amounts of wood panelling unlike the tourist-class cabins which had wood furniture but plain-looking Marinite panelling (my dad calls this "cardboard"). All former first-class cabins except the MI cabins (which were not originally their own cabins - as I said, they were more like "spare bedrooms") are outside and have baths. Former tourist-class cabins can be inside or outside, and have baths or showers.

It is easy to tell which is which by their location in the ship. Generally speaking, the tourist-class cabins were found on Four and Five Decks, or forward of the A stair and/or aft of the G stair on One to Three Decks. The first-class cabins were in between the A and G stairs on One to Three Decks. This is a rough estimation - the exact boundaries on each deck (One to Three) were a little different.

I really ought to take a current QE2 deck plan and insert the boundaries between first and tourist for those who are interested... Maybe later. I don't have the time at the moment.

Now, a lot of people will say, "what about cabin-class"? And yes, it is true, QE2 was meant to be a three-class ship... But most of the tourist and cabin-class cabins were interchangeable with each other. If you look at the original plans for a three-class QE2, they don't actually say "first", "cabin" and "tourist"... They say "de luxe cabins" and "standard cabins". The former are the first-class cabins and the latter are the cabin and tourist cabins. It is impossible to say which cabins would have been cabin and which would have been tourist for the simple reason that the boundary was fluid and would move based on which was more in demand. Generally speaking one can say that the cabins forward of the A stair on Two and Three Decks were tourist-class, and the ones aft of the G stair on One to Three Decks were cabin-class. As for Four and Five Decks, that is very tricky as so many of those were intended to be "either or". At any rate none of this ever happened since cabin and tourist were merged and the ship wound up with very fixed boundaries between first and tourist, as described above.

Doug, I have printed it out and will save it with my Cunard books, deck plans and etc.

I advised my Lady Boss to book a 'c' class stateroom for the April 21st crossing. She was wait listed and suddenly the wait list cleared. She does not as yet have a stateroom number, but she says she will be thrilled with whatever one she gets.

This topic on Cruise Critic is very valuable!

I haven't - so why don't you post your glowing review of your Vista experience - rating ***+ vs QM2 at *****?

The rating had more to do with P&O and the low key 'decor' on Arcadia (I did post a review) - I gave Zuiderdam (a much nicer Vista) **** compared to say QE2's **+ . Surely you aren't saying all Vistas in each Line in each design are all the same are you??

The reports I have read from of others who have been on Vista ships include low ceilings in the dining room - and Kindlychap commented on vibration in the dining room......when leaving port....were you there then?

Kindlycrap would say that wouldn't he :rolleyes: Again the ceilings are no lower than in any other comparative new ship and they have a double height section - certainly a more spacious feeling than on some older ships I could mention.

Certainly looking forward to your review of the Queen Vista in comparison to the QM2......:rolleyes:

Peter

Well, I'm sure I will be posting one in February 2008 :D

Ken

The size of our cabin is supposedly 212sq ft - doesnt seem that tiny to me - and we are right at the front ! We got the last cabin for 4 so didn`t get any choice - there was a waiting list for the cabin so we had to make a quick decision or we would have lost it and the opportunity to sail on what we hope is a magnificent ship.

If you got 2004, you lucked out. I have booked it twice- got kicked out of the cabin twice in favor of 4 pax. 2004 has two portholes (one of the few C-5's that has two) and is larger than almost all the other C-5's. It is definitely in the bow of the ship. If it gets rough, you will definitely feel it.

Well thank god these new pods don't rattle like the propellers on old ships like QE2 :D

Ken

They do on Arcadia.

And, FWIW on Midnatsol as well - my cabin was at the stern and I was woken more than once when we came into port during the night.

Well, perhaps, they don't rattle. Nothing that subtle and gentle.....

Matthew

They do on Arcadia. And, FWIW on Midnatsol as well - my cabin was at the stern and I was woken more than once when we came into port during the night.

The KONG HARALD certainly shuddered a lot when going into and out of port - vibration in the dining room was very bad - plates shaken off the tables - but I think that is more to do with position of the dining room - afaik Kong Harald has regular shafts/screws, built in 1993 as she was.....

Peter

Speaking of the Arcadia,

Kindlycrap would say that wouldn't he :rolleyes: Again the ceilings are no lower than in any other comparative new ship and they have a double height section - certainly a more spacious feeling than on some older ships I could mention.

Ken

I'm not the only person I know who doesn't rate Arcadia. A friend of mine had her first cruise on (I think) Oriana. At any rate either Oriana or Aurora. She loved it, and couldn't praise it enough.

So she went back to P & O - in a very positive state of mind - and reported to me that she disliked the ship, disliked the food and was very disappointed with the whole experience.

Certainly my issues with the ship went beyond the dreadful vibration (and noise) at dinner. Arcadia remains the only place where I have ever had what looked like a plastic Texan on a stick impaled in my steak to indicate that mine was the rare steak.

Now I confidently expect that the Tardy Toria will be a great improvement over the Arcadia - but I'm waiting to see how anyone can design away the problems with pods.

Matthew

If you got 2004, you lucked out. I have booked it twice- got kicked out of the cabin twice in favor of 4 pax. 2004 has two portholes (one of the few C-5's that has two) and is larger than almost all the other C-5's. It is definitely in the bow of the ship. If it gets rough, you will definitely feel it.

Ours is 4006 and we will feel bad weather wherever we are positioned -it doesn`t make a difference to us - we write the first day off when we know we are going through Bay of Biscay !

If you look at the original plans for a three-class QE2, they don't actually say "first", "cabin" and "tourist"...

Not quite. British Superliners of the Sixties has a 3 class layout for the cabins:

1 Deck: Cabin Class aft, otherwise First

2/3 Deck: Cabin Class aft, Tourist forward, First in the Middle

4 Deck: "Cabin or Tourist Class"

5 Deck: Tourist.

So now the Deck-5 phobes have another reason......

Peter

Archived