Chilled Cantalope Soup

spcl4cs_gal

I don't have HAL's recipe, but this is one I've made and it's excellent. I guess you could just make the cantelope part.

CANTELOPE AND HONEYDEW MELON SOUP

2 very ripe cantelopes

1 very ripe honeydew

In processor, puree cantelope with 2 T. lemon juice until smooth.

Then puree honeydew with 3T. lime juice and minced fresh mint until smooth. Ref. at least 3 hours or overnight.

To serve; put each soup into a separate cream pitcher. pour at same times equal amounts of each soup to meet in center of a dish. garnish with dollop of sour cream and fresh mint sprig. serves 6.

Was this offered only in the dining room? I don't remember seeing it offered for lunch in the Lido on our recent Maasdam cruises.

Yes this was offered for lunch in the Vista dining room on the second last day of our cruise.

The Oosterdam chef was kind enough to type out all of the fruit soup recipes for me; they're all essentially the same with very small portion differences, so the following can be adapted for three-berry, watermelon, canteloupe, mango, etc. Unfortunately, once you're read it you'll realize that 1. you had dessert when you thought it was soup :D and 2. a whole bunch-a calories in these soups! Have them anyway; nothing better than HAL fruit soup!

Chilled [fruit of your choice] Soup

4-6 pounds (I'll list the individual fruits and weights below) of fruit, fresh or frozen

1/2 gallon appropriate fruit juice

1.25 quarts heavy cream

2 oz honey

1/4 quart dry white wine

1/8 cup lemon juice

Put everything in the blender, puree well; strain if desired.

Finally, the chilled soup should then be blended, before serving, with the appropriate ice cream-- to 1 gallon of the above soup add 1 quart of ice cream.

I've used vanilla when there isn't an ice cream for that fruit and it's fine. They use strawberry for watermelon and 3-fruit both, for example.

Fruits the chef mentioned specifically:

Papaya: 5 pounds

Mango: 6.66 pounds

Three-berry: 1.33 pounds each strawberries, raspberries, blackberries

I did notice in the HAL cookbook that their fruit soup uses sour cream; not ice cream. It's quite a different recipe, although I think the tastes aren't all that different from the ones made from the above recipe. Since that's a published, copyrighted recipe, I don't think I should offer it online.

Archived