What is the deal???

Corn Fed

If you are looking for an authentic foreign culture, you're on the right track.

If you're looking for 1500 year old Mayan ruins, this is the place.

If you're interested in visiting a rather sophisticated and cosmopolitan large Spanish colonial city, you're in the right place. Merida is a 30 minute bus trip for $3.00 RT.

If you would rather visit an all-inclusive resort, it's very cheap to do.

These are really nice people who are very proud of their culture and history. Talk to them, even if your spanish is not up to par. You may be surprised how well many speak English.

If you really like fish and seafood, this is definitely the place. So very fresh. My favorite is the whole deep fried Snapper at Le Saint Bonnet and I don't usually like fish all that much.

John

Thank you so much for this information. We leave next weekend and our Costa Maya port got changed to Progreso. I was bummed at first but only because I knew nothing about the place(actually had never really heard of it until I joined this site) Now that I've been given this insight by you I am actually very glad that they changed it to Progreso. Seeing authentic foreign culture is right up my alley...Thanks again! :D

I took the advice of HDawson of seeing Uxmal. We booked RC ships tour. The bus was great, nice ac and the ruins were exceptional!

Kim

Thanks Kim (do you have a min pin? I'm guessing that would be a yes. :) ) Anyway, glad to know about the RC excursion to Uxmal. I think I am heading in that direction. There was just an article titled "Mayan" in the August National Geographic, and while I've only skimmed it so far, it mentions Uxmal and there is a picture if my memory serves me correctly.:rolleyes:

Thanks Kim (do you have a min pin? I'm guessing that would be a yes. :) ) Anyway' date=' glad to know about the RC excursion to Uxmal. I think I am heading in that direction. There was just an article titled "Mayan" in the August National Geographic, and while I've only skimmed it so far, it mentions Uxmal and there is a picture if my memory serves me correctly.:rolleyes:[/quote']

It's an excellent article! You should read it. It also shares a few things about Tulum...which we thoroughly enjoyed when we went there.:)

Thanks Kim (do you have a min pin? I'm guessing that would be a yes. :) ) Anyway' date=' glad to know about the RC excursion to Uxmal. I think I am heading in that direction. There was just an article titled "Mayan" in the August National Geographic, and while I've only skimmed it so far, it mentions Uxmal and there is a picture if my memory serves me correctly.:rolleyes:[/quote']

Yes I've owned 4 minpins, they are wonderful dogs!! Uxmal was awesome! It was not crowded and your still able to climb one of the ruins. The view from the top is unreal! The details on the ruins are beautiful. I had visited a ruin near Oaxica as a child and wanted to experience one again as an adult. I must say, that excursion and the day we spent in the fishing village of Majahual were the highlight of our cruise. I'll up load a photo and edit this post so you can see some of our pics. You will not regret going to Uxmal!!

HDawson, thank you so much for your guidance!! You are a wealth of information and I thank you for sharing.

Kim

Great photos! Thank you for posting them. I am really excited now. Gotta love those min pins. We frequent are local dog park and there are a couple of them that come once in awhile. They are so cute. I have a mix (stray) and I swear there must be some min pin in him. He's a real character. Thanks again.

Archived