Backpacks

jspirit

Can anyone recommend one that is very lightweight and also water resistant or waterproof?

Now that I know to dress in layers, bring a rain poncho, and my binoculars are on order, the next purchase should ( I guess) be a good strong backpack.

Do most of the tourists carry one in ports? It seems to make sense on this type of vacation.

I just picked up a day pack by Rick Steves at AAA. It looks like it will hold plenty yet folds up to the size of a t-shirt so it will be easy to pack. It's not waterproof but I am going to try spraying it with waterproofing. Because of the size (and the fact that it only cost $18.50) I think I will actually use it more than just in Alaska.

check out sportsmansguide dot com for great gear. They have an excellent backpack on sale with detachable rain hood. I've made several purchases from them for our upcoming alaska cruise.

BQ - Good to know your cheap Walmart backpack has held up several years. I recently purchased 2 medium size ones from the Sporting Goods area at Walmart for $9.95 each. I plan on spraying them with waterproof spray.

You might get some seam sealer from the camping department and use it on the seams inside of your bargain backpacks. This is also used on tents of all descriptions so it should be excellent on the backpacks.

I have traveled with the Rick Steves microfiber pack. It is a tad small but that depends upon what you want to put into it. Another feature to consider is a placket (for lack of the right word) which covers the zippers. In a downpour, it would be a good way to keep water from rushing through the zipper. Can you tell that we have enjoyed rain on many vacations?

I recently bought a single strap backpack at WalMart for about $13 for our Alaska trip. Goes on your left shoulder similar to a purse. Strap can also go over your head and across your chest so it doesn't slip off shoulder. Easy on and off. This one also had a side handle so you can just carry it in your hand. Hope it works well. Might not even bring a purse on this trip at all, still undecided on that.

I recently bought a single strap backpack at WalMart for about $13 for our Alaska trip. Goes on your left shoulder similar to a purse. Strap can also go over your head and across your chest so it doesn't slip off shoulder. Easy on and off. This one also had a side handle so you can just carry it in your hand. Hope it works well. Might not even bring a purse on this trip at all, still undecided on that.

Just picturing you and your backpack on formal night;) JK

I'm trying to figure out myself if I want to take a backpack, regular purse, AND a purse for formal nights. Seems a bit much to me:cool:

Last Fall on the Radiance one of the shops had evening bags for $10. I picked up a small one (I think I heard it called a wristlet) which will hold my sea pass card, reading glasses, lipstick and even my subcompact camera. Takes up no space in the suitcase and does look a bit more "formal" than the backpack.

(I can only imagine the thread's that could be started about the "lady who carried a backpack into the dining room on formal night"!)

Yes, that would be a great sight on formal night. :) Not sure if we will participate in formal nights, but if we do I don't think I would do a purse (just my backpack, of course ;) ). Thanks for the info on the wristlet. I will look around here for something along that line.

Can anyone recommend one that is very lightweight and also water resistant or waterproof?

Now that I know to dress in layers, bring a rain poncho, and my binoculars are on order, the next purchase should ( I guess) be a good strong backpack.

Do most of the tourists carry one in ports? It seems to make sense on this type of vacation.

You are not alone! I carry my backpack for camera at every port. It is from Canon. I think I got it for $39 on Amazon. I will find out the model and post it back here. Basically, I throw my camera, lens, binoculars in it... then put two bottles of water on the side pockets..

And hey - nice binos!

LOL!

:D :D :D

I found the model Canon 200EG. Here is link at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Backpack-200EG-Cameras/dp/B00009R6TA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-8931645-9636931?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175223011&sr=8-2

It holds a 20D body, my 17-40L, 100-400L and 28-105 lenses, plus the nice binos, of course. :) On the side pockets, I always put two bottles of water.

Archived