Itinerary Advice

Elcruzer

We are 2 couples renting car in Anchorage and dropping off in Seward for 7 days pre cruise. Here is our planned itinerary

Arrive in Anchorage Fri , stay overnight, visit Sat. mkt. drive up to Denali Park

2 nights in Denali, one day shuttle

1 night in Talkneeta

1 night at Alyeska

2 nights in Seward, all day cruise and time to tour on day of cruise since ship leaves at 9pm

Would like suggestions for the different towns that "we must see/do" or anything that we should take a detour to while driving from town to town

We would welcome all suggestions from you Alaskan gurus

As only a suggestion, you have no time for Anchorage. You could easily cut Seward back to 1 night, since you could have almost 2 days of touring, since Girdwood to Seward is -only 2++ hours. I wouldn't be in a rush to get on the ship. :) Potential great touring opportunities.

As for what to do?? Plenty on the way north to Denali Park, and with your market priority, less time than if you had a day in Anchoage. Eklutna Spirt house tours is especially interesting. Also if you are interested in the Talkeetna McKinley flightseeing, you are better off with this plan on the way up since you have the potential to reschedule for the way back if canceled.

What is your preference for Girdwood?? The tram takes only a few minutes. You could do a glacier boat tour out of Whittier, which is excellent. At the least, stop at the Portage Glacier Visitor Center.

Request visitor guides.

Thanks for your usual quick reply and good advice.

We realize that we aren't spending much time in Anchorage. Only days available in Denali lodge was the 2 days after we arrive in Anchorage. We arrive about 3:30pm so don't know if we would have time to do a tour in the evening but at least can do a walking tour. Don't know how late places stay open? Our friends want to visit Sat Mkt then would like to get to Denali asap. Maybe we could spend another night in Anchorage on the way back down and only 1 night in Seward since as you say we have the whole day before boarding ship. We were planning on staying a few hours in Aleyska but then decided to stay overnight but do not know what's there besides gondola ride. What and where is Eklutna Spirit House? Any other suggestions for Talkeetna other than flight seeing.

We welcome any and all suggestions for tours and sightseeing. Thanks

Eklutna is about 25 miles north of Anchorage. There is plenty to see and do going north. You might want to consider only a brief stop at the market and getting going in the am, so to have time perhaps. Another top spot is Hatcher Pass. You will have to enter from the Palmer side go to the mine then backtrack. Rest of the Pass is unpaved and violates your rental contract. If you want to view some muskoxen. There is the Musk ox farm, also Sled Dog Museum in Wasilla. You also need to strong consider a grocery stop, by Wasilla. Nothing after that point until Fairbanks.

Not a lot in Girdwood, as already suggested, the top attraction for me are the glacier boat tours out of Whittier.

Talkeetna is a funky town, good for a walk around. I thought the boat tours so so, compared to other tours, I have taken, but some people do like them. Flightseeing is always my priority.

You will have to enter from the Palmer side go to the mine then backtrack

I had considered going to the mine from the Palmer side, and then coming back through Wasilla. Is the road not paved from the mine to Wasilla? :confused:

I had considered going to the mine from the Palmer side, and then coming back through Wasilla. Is the road not paved from the mine to Wasilla? :confused:

We're planning a similar route by driving from Anchorage through Palmer and on to Independence Mine. This road is paved but from what I've read, the pavement ends soon after the mine. So, we will be okay to backtrack through Palmer on our way to Wasilla and then Talkeetna.

Enjoy your trip!

Yes, it is paved. It is unpaved past the mine to Willow. You still will be backtracking Hatcher Pass, then taking Wasilla Fishhook- west fork.

If it was me, I would just stop in Alyeska on my way down, do the tram ride, if that's what you wanted to do (or skip Gridwood altogether), and keep going south down to Whittier and stay overnight there. You can stay at the Inn at Whittier (nice and very cute), do a day glacier cruise and continue down to Seward, which is maybe 2 hours from there.

Also, stopping in Eklutna at the cemetary to get the tour of the spirit houses is really neat, I would consider that a top choice, as well as seeing the Native Heritage Center in Anchorage if you have the time. You can see the SAturday Market in less than an hour really.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

It seems that most advise to take the shuttle bus in Denali rather than organized tour? Is there any difference in the type of buses used? We are senior citizens and I have problems with my back. The recommended shuttle is to Wonder Lake but I see that takes 11 hours, don't know if I would be able to sit that long, especially if it's a school bus. Would we miss much not going all the way to Wonder Lake? Should we make reservations in advance? Also, if I am understanding correctly, the buses make rest stops but there is no place to buy food in the park? Any suggestions of where to something to eat to take along?

There are tour buses and Shuttle buses into Denali park. Some tour buses are supposed to be upgraded, but don't know if all will this summer??? So even if you book the triple cost tour bus, you may still get a regular school bus. My min. recommended distance in is Fish Creek. Rest stops are about every 90 minutes.

Yes you need reservations in advance.

Correct, you must bring in all your own food and drink for the shuttle, probably the tour buses too, since the box lunch is skimpy.

Your last grocery stop is Wasilla. Right on the Parks Highway- Walmart. Safeway, Fred Meyer. Stock up.

Your lodging may be able to prepared you a box lunch. There is also Subway- in the past open 24hs/day. Limited food is available at the transportation access center at Denali Park.

Archived