Underwater scooters in St. Thomas

We are going on the MOS in May and my husband & daughter were seriously thinking about doing the under water scooters in St Thomas. Has anyone gone on this excursion that could give us some insight on if it is actually as much fun as looks. We were on a E.Caribbean cruise on Princess 3 years ago and they almost did it then but by the time they decided they wanted to do it they were booked.:mad: If they are a lot of fun then I want them to book it now so they don't miss it.;)

Thanks for the input.:)

We did the BOB last year and loved it.You sit on the scooter and have your head in the BOB.You go down about twenty feet and see the fish and turtles.Take an underwater camera with you and your divers(from the boat)will take your picture.What they did with my wife and I they put us together and broke crackers over our heads and took the picture as the fish went for the cracker,what great pictures we got.

They take a group of about ten down while the others snorkle on top.The scooter do not go that fast,they tell you that you can not go faster then the divers can swim.We found it safe.

BTW we were in our late 50s when we did it,so enjoy.

I thought it was a little scary at first and almost refused to do it but it was fun. I had a little trouble steering the scooter because everything felt dissorted below water. Also, my daughter could not go down very far because she was having ear popping.

I did the helmut walk, which is similiar except that you walk on the ocean, when we were in the Bahamas one year and that was also fun.

As the others have said, this is a great excursion. We did the BOB/BOSS in St. Thomas and in Cozumel. ST. Thomas is the more scenic hands down! The crew is top notch and the safety divers are with you all of the time. One of the members in our group did not feel comfortable, gave the signal and the divers had her on the surface within seconds. I cannot say enough about this tour.

You are essentially sitting on a scooter with your head in an observation bubble. There is a tank to provide positive air pressure and keep the water out. Definitely buy some disposable underwater cameras at home and bring them with you. The divers will take some great shots of you. It is one of my more memorable excursions. The snorkeling is decent too, while you are waiting for your turn on the BOB. It is safe and fun. The bathrooms are clean on the boat as well.

Eric

This was one of the BEST tours I have ever done. I would highly recommend it for all ages. Not being a skin diver, it was great going underwater and being that close to the sea life.

Definately bring a camera.:)

Question...

Does body type/size matter? IE if you have "fluffy" body type. Weight limit?

After several disastrous excursions on our very first cruise, we have always avoided booking anything while in port. BUT... this sounds like sooooo much fun. Will definately try to book this in St Thomas for our upcoming cruise.

We did the BOB/BOSS in St. Thomas and in Cozumel.

Was that the 2 person scooter in Cozumel? Having done the BOB, the 2 person doesn't look like as much fun. Heading to Cozumel shortly on Mariner. Appreciate response.

No. The Cozumel excursion was the same type as the BOB, in ST. Thomas. They were painted black, not yellow, but were still single rider units. It was offered through RCCL as a shore excursion when we were in Cozumel on the Voyager in 2004. There were no great coral formations on the Cozumel excursion. It was still fun, the crew on board was great and the divers took you in pairs. The following year I did the Atlantis submarine in Cozumel (2005). I would recommend that. The BOB/BOSS in St. Thomas is definitely the one to do, as it is more scenic, with coral, and a boat wreck or rather wreckage field.

Eric

No. The Cozumel excursion was the same type as the BOB, in ST. Thomas. They were painted black, not yellow, but were still single rider units. It was offered through RCCL as a shore excursion when we were in Cozumel on the Voyager in 2004. There were no great coral formations on the Cozumel excursion. It was still fun, the crew on board was great and the divers took you in pairs. The following year I did the Atlantis submarine in Cozumel (2005). I would recommend that. The BOB/BOSS in St. Thomas is definitely the one to do, as it is more scenic, with coral, and a boat wreck or rather wreckage field.

Eric

:mad: O well. Nothing through RCCL now in Cozumel for single scooter. Was willing to give up golf and get back on scooter:eek: . Will have to wait to get back to St. Thomas....or Bahamas.....did the underwater scooter there when stayed on Paradise Island. Tour too long for short cruise stay or timing was bad for cruise arrival.

Kato92, After having been on both the St. Thomas and the Cozumel versions, I can see why RCCL does not have it offered in Cozumel any longer. The St. Thomas version was great. The Cozumel one was alright, at best. The scooter part was fun, but not very scenic.

The OP will have a lot of fun in St. Thomas on BOB/BOSS! That is the version not to miss.

Eric

:confused: :confused: what is this??? could someone explain or point me to a place I could read about and see pictures of this? It sounds very cool, but I just cant seem to get a visual. Thanks

Page 2 of my photos link below. I think the official site is http://bossusvi.com

Question...

Does body type/size matter? IE if you have "fluffy" body type. Weight limit?

After several disastrous excursions on our very first cruise, we have always avoided booking anything while in port. BUT... this sounds like sooooo much fun. Will definately try to book this in St Thomas for our upcoming cruise.

I think the weight limit is 300 pounds.

I think the weight limit is 300 pounds.

A bit (or some pounds) more: ;-) RCCL ist writing:

"Port/City: Cozumel, Mexico

Activity Type:

Snorkel & SCUBA Tours | Beach & Water-Related Activities

Approximate Duration: 4 hour(s)

Prices starting from:

*60.06 EUR (Adult)

*60.06 EUR (Child)

*0.00 EUR (Infant)

Restrictions:

Maximum Height: 78 Inches

Minimum Age: 12 Years Old

Maximum Weight: 350 Pounds"

Source: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000x4t7hhOZZuCKlk3-V0ZvKlU:10ktmeu5p?ProductCode=CZA4&DestinationCode=CARIB&sourcePage=shorexByTypePortDest&ActivityTypeId=4

Nice to read this! I will also do this the next time in Cozumel, before we go to aur favorite bar... :-)))

Ron

Archived