renting poles in ketchikan

shereemcg

we were planning to buy a license and rent poles to fish in a stream in ketchikan. was told that the place next the lumberjack show doesn't do that anymore.

does anyone know where else we can do this?

we're most likely going to do the crab feed at 8:30 am and wanted to do this in the afternoon.

thanks

sheree

visitors center didn't know anything other then the lumberjack place. i called the lumberjack show and they don't rent poles anymore.

TOngass Trading Co sells licenses for $10/day adult.

The girl at the lumberjack show suggested Alaska Wilderness Outfitters (i've called and left a messge) and McClouds 9 (at the exit of creek st) but doesn't know the number.

i just think it would be fun for my son to fish for an hour or so!

The girl at the lumberjack show didn't mention anything about hte other program, so I've emailed them

sheree

Heres a thought buy your self an inexpensive fishing pole from walmart or another store before you board your ship.After your done fishing you can either take the reel off the rod or just leave the whole thing for someone else to enjoy.I will also be doing this in 2 weeks.{cheaper than going on a Boat.}

i thought of that but don't wand to add anything else to the luggage! there's 3 of us for 2 weeks and it's going to full as is.

perhaps we'll buy an inexpensive rod in alaska before we board if we don't find anything else.

my husband did an excursion 3 yrs ago (didn't catch a thing!) and our son really wants to fish this time. Can't see having 3 of us going out all day on a charter (i'll get sick!) so this could be fun.

we may be doing the crab feed earlier in the day.

sheree

shereemcg

I have some pictures of my son fishing on a dock behind the logging show. He had a blast. The cruise was in Aug a couple years ago and are in the Vision of the Seas folder. Just follow the link from my sig to webshots.

-Monte

I was in Ketchikan last week and I was crossing the bridge near Creek Street when I saw some friends from the ship renting poles for their children. I even have a photo of the kids learning how to cast in front of the shop but I can't read the name. It is a pale yellow or tan shop with a gopher? on the side. I believe it is right across the creek from Dolly's. I did not ask them the price. I just saw the family cross the street to a dock area nearby.

Hope this helps?

Sea

that's exactly what we want to do! how much did it cost to pack and ship them home?

sheree

Sorry Sheree, I missed this question when you asked it. It's been a couple yrs ago so I don't have the exact amount, but it was around $120 including smoking. BUT I smoke fish myself and wasn't pleased with the way it came out. I usually use bright, silvery coho or king so this really isn't comparing apples to apples.

We all agreed that in the future Mike could fish but it would be catch and release. Also, at that time, there was a small booth type operation just up the creek & across the road that also rented poles. Maybe someone who has gone up recently could say if they're still there. It sounds to me like the place that seacruiser1 mentioned.

Anyhow, the kid had a blast.

-Monte

Archived