Question about embarkation in Alaska

rigs32

While I've cruised several times, it has always been on Caribbean itineraries with embarkation between 12 and 4.

If embarkation on an Alaskan cruise starts around 12 or 1 and the ship sails at 8:30, does that mean we really can board until 7pm or so? I'm trying to plan my pre-cruise Alaskan travel and I want to be sure i'm not "missing the boat" about embarkation.

If so, then when do they do the Alaskan safety drills then?

We're departing Whittier on Princess this fall. Departure time is listed as 930PM and loading time is Noon. We called for clarification and they said arrive anytime after 12, but before 8PM. They said after 2PM is the fastest (they must have more agents working then?). However, I'd call your line to be sure.

We have sailed on Princess several times from Alaska and embarkation time has always been around noon. The fastest time for embarkation time is to try and beat all the tour busses and the trains that will be going to the port. We always try to embark as early as possible and have lunch on board and then check out the ship and town, if time permits.

I wouldn't be in a rush to get on the ship. Many people are (in a rush to get on) and that is why the lines are longer earlier in the day. By 2pm, the lines have died down. You can take your time getting to Whittier - visiting Girdwood, the Portage Glacier Visitor Center or a Prince William Sound cruise. You could take the afternoon cruise that finishes by 5-6pm, board the ship, have dinner and be in plenty of time before they stop boarding.

I have read that the first day they have "open seating" for dinner. Does that mean " anytime" is ok, or do you have to stick to your early or late dining time, but just not an assigned table and your regular tablemates?

Yes, dining is usually open seating. You also usually have to be on board an hour before sailing.

I am NEVER in a rush to get on any ship sailing southbound. The touring opportunities available are way superior to sitting on the ship, consider taking advantage of some. :)

Our s/b train from Denali Princess Lodge for our cruisetour June 8 - 18 gets into Whittier at 5:15 p.m., ship's boarding is between 12:30 pm. and 8 p.m., departs at 9:30 p.m. Will we have time to go to the store (which one, where, walking distance??) before we board the ship? First time cruisers here, so anxious to know details, please ;) THX!

Our s/b train from Denali Princess Lodge for our cruisetour June 8 - 18 gets into Whittier at 5:15 p.m., ship's boarding is between 12:30 pm. and 8 p.m., departs at 9:30 p.m. Will we have time to go to the store (which one, where, walking distance??) before we board the ship? First time cruisers here, so anxious to know details, please ;) THX!

Yes, can walk entire Whittier in 20 minutes, going slow, round trip from the ship. There is a small convenient/grocery that I recall, limited selection?? Expect higher prices compared to Anchorage.

Yes, can walk entire Whittier in 20 minutes, going slow, round trip from the ship. There is a small convenient/grocery that I recall, limited selection?? Expect higher prices compared to Anchorage.

We won't be in Anchorage, so won't have anything to compare to:p other than lower 48 prices!

Archived