West End Beach Question

20SomethingJeff

We are spending the day in Bermuda and have always heard of the Pink beaches. What is the best place to go to the beach and see the pink sand, and have a nice relaxing day at the beach?

Thanks,

Jeff

The south shore beaches. Horseshoe Bay is one. If you read the boards that beach it is mentioned quite often. As far as the pink sand is concerned, the beaches don't seem to be as pink now as they were before Hurricanne Fabian.

Is that near the Swizzle Inn?

It is not near the original Swizzle Inn. There is a second one that opened on the South Shore near there. I have not been to the new one. Since you are on Crown Princess which calls at the West End I suggest doing Horseshoe Bay in the morning and returning to the Dockyard, check out some of the stuff there, like the shops, glass blowing, or the Maritime Museum, and going to a pub at the Dockyard called the Frog and Onion.

I would suggest slightly different. Go to Horseshoe Bay Beach take the Bus into Hamilton,,,then the ferry back to the Dockyards.....

That is a good suggestion. Since they are going on the Crown Princess though, if it calls at the West End on a Sunday, as several of that ships sailing do, like the one I was on last August, they should be made aware that much of Hamilton is closed on Sunday.

Hi, we will be on the Crown arriving at the west end port. Maybe this is a silly question, but is the only way to Horseshoe Bay by ferry?THANKS:)

Sarah

You don't take a ferry to Horseshoe Bay. You can take a bus, taxi, or rent a Moped. The ferrying being discussed is between the West End and the city of Hamilton. In the summer there is also a ferry between the West End (Dockyard) and St. George.

May I suggest taking the #7 bus as early as possible from the Dockyard. Tell the driver that you would like to get off at the South Shore Park and walk the trails back to Horseshoe Bay. The trails will take you up to some beautiful vistas and down to some very intimate coves. You may very well be the only persons you see on your journey. You may also want to spend some time in the coves as you are making your way to Horseshoe bay. By noon Horseshoe bay is extremely crowded. From what I am told, There are no wild animals nor snakes on Bermuda to worry about jumping out at you on the trails. I really can't tell you how long the walk is. It took us maybe two hours, but we spent some time enjoying the coves and photographing. Even the worst photographer can't miss

May I suggest taking the #7 bus as early as possible from the Dockyard. Tell the driver that you would like to get off at the South Shore Park and walk the trails back to Horseshoe Bay. The trails will take you up to some beautiful vistas and down to some very intimate coves. You may very well be the only persons you see on your journey. You may also want to spend some time in the coves as you are making your way to Horseshoe bay. By noon Horseshoe bay is extremely crowded. From what I am told, There are no wild animals nor snakes on Bermuda to worry about jumping out at you on the trails. I really can't tell you how long the walk is. It took us maybe two hours, but we spent some time enjoying the coves and photographing. Even the worst photographer can't miss

That sounds like something we would love. I appreciate your help.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi starr,

From St George you first have to get to Hamilton. I'm thinking that the quickest and the easiest would be the ferry but maybe someone else may know better. You would then take the #7 bus to South Shore park/ Warwick Long Bay. Ask someone. They will tell you exactly where you will be able to catch the bus. If you tell your bus driver you want to walk the south shore park trails down to Horseshoe Bay, they are really great at letting you know where you get off. There is a big sign by the road that marks the entrance. Remember , You are on the northern most portion of the island and you are trying to get to the southern most portion. It will take some time to get there but worth it.

While you are down on that end you might want to visit Gibbs lighthouse. It is a bit more then a stones throw away from Horseshoe Beach but still a bus ride. On a clear day you can see from one end of the island to the other.

I read a suggestion a few replies back to go to HS bay, then take a bus to Hamilton, then a ferry back to Dockyard. How far by bus is HS Bay to Hamilton? Do you all think that we have enough time to do both (we would love too!!!) if we arrive at 9am and depart at 5pm? We appreciate any help. BTW, thought that I saw on the Seaexpress site that 12$ was for bus and ferry? Does anyone know for sure? If so, how do we purchase this in advance? Thanks:)

From St George you first have to get to Hamilton. I'm thinking that the quickest and the easiest would be the ferry but maybe someone else may know better. You would then take the #7 bus to South Shore park/ Warwick Long Bay.

Unless it is rush hour I'd say the quickest way from St. Georges to Hamilton would be to take the bus. The #1, 3, 10 & 11 will all take you to Hamilton bus station (it's the last stop for all of the routes). Do not take the #6 bus as it does not go to Hamilton.

From the Hamilton Bus Station take the #7 as Chessie mentioned. On the way back take the #7 back to Hamilton then take a bus to St. Georges. I recommend a different bus than the one you took into Hamilton so that you can go by a different route and see more of Bermuda. (and don't be alarmed if at first the #1 looks like it is going the same way as the #7, it'll turn towards St. Georges once past the hospital)

I read a suggestion a few replies back to go to HS bay, then take a bus to Hamilton, then a ferry back to Dockyard. How far by bus is HS Bay to Hamilton? Do you all think that we have enough time to do both (we would love too!!!) if we arrive at 9am and depart at 5pm? We appreciate any help. BTW, thought that I saw on the Seaexpress site that 12$ was for bus and ferry? Does anyone know for sure? If so, how do we purchase this in advance? Thanks:)

This might help you - picture a horseshoe: Dockyard is one end of the 'U', Hamilton is the other. Horseshoe Bay would be at the base. The Bay is approximately the same distance from Hamilton and Dockyards. Depending on traffic I'd say you're looking at 30-45 minutes to get from the beach to either Dockyards or Hamilton. The ferry would just go across the 'U' and takes about 20 minutes provided it is direct to Hamilton.

You will have time to do both, and I do recommend it, provided you don't spend hours and hours at the beach. Keep the ferry schedule in mind too so you don't miss the ferry that you want.

The $12 pass is good for the buses and ferries. With it you will also not have to worry about 'zones' (the bus system has 14 zones, fares differ depending on how many zones you cross, the $12 pass is good for all-zone travel) so it saves the newcomer a lot of hassle. I think you can get them at the ship but if not you can get them at Tourist Info booths, crew members should be able to direct you.

Archived