HOTELS IN Venice

dalliowner

The Metropole is moderately priced and is right on the water at the mouth of the grand canal. It's about a 2 minute walk to Piazza San Marco and even less walk to where the cruise ships dock (at least all of them that I have seen). Some of the rooms have small balconies with spectacular views of the city and the water. Breakfast is so, so. Haven't tried the restaurant. Rooms themselves were fine.

More upscale is the Saturnia. Great restaurant. It's not on the grand canal but is about 2 minutes on the other (west) side of Piazza San Marco.

Good luck.

I actually stayed at the Holiday Inn. It is in Marghera which is on the mainland BUT it is only about 20 minutes to the airport. I really used it just to sleep as after I left the ship I took a cab there, checked in and then took the hotel's shuttle back to Plaza Roma (where the train station is) I stayed in Venice all day and took the 11:00PM shuttle back. Did the same thing the next day. If you go get a room in the back. They are very quiet.

Bon voyage

dear dalliowner,

we've been a lot of times in venice and the best place to stay is the Casa de Uscoli ( http://www.casadeuscoli.com ). It is a B&B located in a Palace facing the Canale Grande opposite of the Galleria Accademia. So you are right in the middle of Venice and have a good chance to get a room with a view to the Canale Grande. But keep in mind that the Canale Grande is the main "highway" of Venice, so it is very loud, and the Italians start to work around 6 am.

I strongly recommend not to stay in Marghera or somewhere else on the dryland because Venice changes completely when most of the tourists have left. Then you get the chance to experience the real Venice.

So enjoy your stay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Or

When you exit Venice air terminal turn left and go to the water bus stand (http://www.alilaguna.it) and this will take you to the San zaccaria water bus stop which is right in front of the hotel Savoia and Jolanda (http://www.hotelsavoiajolanda.com). Here, if you stay in the junior suite there are two small balconies looking out over St. Marks basin. From 7 AM you can watch for you ship arrive and sail past right in front of your private balcony. We did this in 2004 before joining the Silver Whisper and saw the Seabourn Spirit and a few others go past too. The Savoia and Jolanda is five mins.from St. marks. This hotel also has a good restaurant and does good breakfasts. The water bus also runs from here to the cruise terminal.

Worked really well for us.

IMO, you really do not want to stay in a hotel between the airport and the port, unless all you plan to do is sleep and go. There are no hotels that are directly adjacent to the port. If you can get a hotel fairly near to Piazzale Roma (the bus station), you can walk there and catch a cab or ship's shuttle to get to your ship.

Last Summer, we stayed at the Antiche Figure, a small hotel right on the Grand Canal, directly across from the train station, and about as close to Piazzala Roma as any hotel. Fairly reasonable (for Venice) and very friendly and accomodating staff. What that allowed us to do was hop on the bus (very inexpensive and convenient) from VCE to Piazzale Roma, then walk to our hotel from there. We have rolling bags, and had minimal problems with that, although two stairways were involved. When we left a couple of days later, we rolled all our bags back to Piazzale Roma and caught a cab to the ship.

That ended up being an easy and cheap way of doing it. Of course, catching the water taxi from the airport, they can take you pretty much anywhere, so location would not be as critical...it just is expensive. Either way, you will love Venice, I'm sure. Have a great trip!

Archived