how early can we get off ship to make connection

honeyclair

help! trying to make airline reservations for our trip to e. med. in sept. on galaxy. my t.a. is telling me that we shouldn't even look at any flights leaving before noon from rome on return flight. is this really accurate? she said that there is always problems if flights are earlier, that we'd have to get private transportation instead of using x's.

I have never come to Rome via ship, but take it from soneone who almost missed a flight home, give yourself PLENTY of time to get to your airport. Your TA is giving you wise advice-I'm still waiting to hear my first complaint from a traveler who got to a place too early!

help! trying to make airline reservations for our trip to e. med. in sept. on galaxy. my t.a. is telling me that we shouldn't even look at any flights leaving before noon from rome on return flight. is this really accurate? she said that there is always problems if flights are earlier, that we'd have to get private transportation instead of using x's.

Civitavecchia is roughly an hour away from FCO in Rome - that, plus traffic, checkin times etc etc. I wouldn't even think of leaving before noon under any circumstances - 2 or 3pm is probably a safer bet.

We flew home from Galaxy May 2006 and had an early flight arranged by Celebrity. Galaxy arrives about 5 am and you won't have the nonsensical clearing delays experienced in US ports. I believe we were on our bus to the airport around 7 or 7:30. We had similar arrangements three years ago on Galaxy catching a US air flight from Rome to Detroit.

I would not think of arranging my own air for any European cruise. Too many things can go wrong to disrupt travel. If the cruise is delayed or cancelled, the cruiseline will rearrange flights. If you do your own planning, good luck trying to reach the airlines while on board.

Disruptions:

Engine problems on Millennium, cancelled one sailing in Europe.

Fisherman blocked the entrance to Barcelona harbor 2? years ago.

Pacific Princess was impounded for one sailing when employees tried to sell drugs while in port (Greece 1997).

Last October there was an accident in Rome's subway system... etc.

Plan for the worst. If it happens, what is your back up plan?

Civitavecchia is roughly an hour away from FCO in Rome - that, plus traffic, checkin times etc etc. I wouldn't even think of leaving before noon under any circumstances - 2 or 3pm is probably a safer bet.

I agree 100+%.

Frankly I would suggest what we do when disembarking in Athens. Grab an afternoon or evening intraEurope flight to a gateway city like Frankfurt, London or Paris and spend a night there with the flight to the USA the next day.

That way you can relax and maybe see some interesting sights...then complete your trip without so much of the hustle and bustle.

Having flown out of Rome airport over 100 times. My advice is to make your connection for early afternoon at the soonest. There are alot of variables and besides, the Italians have a very different time management scale than we Americans have. They also love to go on strike whenever the mood hits. You are in a very different country than ours and customer service does translate well. I would give myself the extra time. The Italians are great but do things very differenty.

Archived