A return to the "Good old days of cruising"?

Markandrews

Recently NCL prices have increased substantially. I believe higher then pre 9/11 pricing. I know that cost have increased as well. (though not as much since the ships are larger).

With the return of expensive cruises will we also see the return of all inclusive sailings?

Will we see:

Free Airfare.

LeBistro quality food in the main dining rooms.

Captains party for all guest.

Bigger Bingo payouts.

Cheap Drinks.

Cheap photos.

Free/cheap Soft Drinks.

Nice perks for ALL passengers.

I don’t mind being nickled and dimed when I sail for next to nothing.

I don’t mind paying more for my cruise if I spend very little once on board.

But I am not sure if I will let NCL have it both ways.

Any thoughts?

We too have been watching this trend.

Cruising has been a great bargain for many years, and the increases we are seeing now must be due to inflation within our society, to include food, fuel, labor prices, etc.

Cruising is affordable for the middle and upper class today - not only the most wealthy as in your "Good Old Days". Thankfully, those days are gone.

We surely hate to see the prices rise, but what isn't more expensive these days?

Not too many cruise lines had/have all-inclusive sailings. That being said.

Nope........I want value when I sail if I am going to pay higher prices. I do not think that NCL is going to give anything for their ridiculous jump in prices. If they did it gradually and added value along the way it would be easier to justify.

After their last earnings statement the shareholders and bean counters took precedence over customer value. They are bleeding red ink due to NCLA and to their lack of foresight and the NCL product is suffering.

We too have been watching this trend.

Cruising has been a great bargain for many years, and the increases we are seeing now must be due to inflation within our society, to include food, fuel, labor prices, etc.

Cruising is affordable for the middle and upper class today - not only the most wealthy as in your "Good Old Days". Thankfully, those days are gone.

We surely hate to see the prices rise, but what isn't more expensive these days?

Actually the "good old days" I was referring to was the late 80's/early 90's not the 20's when only the wealthiest cruised.

Yes fuel prices are on the rise but I doubt food and labor are costing NCL much more then it did 10-15 years ago. The ships are larger now which brings costs per passenger down.

I am not convinced this rapid increase in prices is to cover expenses.

Recently NCL prices have increased substantially. I believe higher then pre 9/11 pricing. I know that cost have increased as well. (though not as much since the ships are larger).

With the return of expensive cruises will we also see the return of all inclusive sailings?

Will we see:

Free Airfare.

LeBistro quality food in the main dining rooms.

Captains party for all guest.

Bigger Bingo payouts.

Cheap Drinks.

Cheap photos.

Free/cheap Soft Drinks.

Nice perks for ALL passengers.

I don’t mind being nickled and dimed when I sail for next to nothing.

I don’t mind paying more for my cruise if I spend very little once on board.

But I am not sure if I will let NCL have it both ways.

Any thoughts?

There are too many other options out there, both on sea and on land, to think they'd be able to sustain such high prices. Your upscale cruisers are not sailing the middle of the road lines such as NCL, RCCL, Carnival, etc. They are on the all inclusive sailings of Seabourn and such and are paying the price for it. I hope NCL doesn't price themselves right out of the market, because like you, if I'm paying that high of a price I'm going to get more value for my money and look elsewhere to do it.

I think its a test for them to see what the market will bear. I certainly have no qualms on a company making a profit, that's what people are in business for. But greed is a different animal. The prices are as much as it would cost to fly to the Caribbean, island hop on a plane from place to place and be pampered as well. For a family of at least 4 as opposed to 2. I guess for some it's different, but for me I like the islands and the ship experience, but the ship experience isn't my main concern. I might have to start considering spending my money elsewhere and get better value for it if prices stay like they are and/or increase still. The view of the sea from a beachfront rental home or vacation hotel looks just as nice.:)

There are too many other options out there, both on sea and on land, to think they'd be able to sustain such high prices. Your upscale cruisers are not sailing the middle of the road lines such as NCL, RCCL, Carnival, etc. They are on the all inclusive sailings of Seabourn and such and are paying the price for it. I hope NCL doesn't price themselves right out of the market, because like you, if I'm paying that high of a price I'm going to get more value for my money and look elsewhere to do it.

I think its a test for them to see what the market will bear. I certainly have no qualms on a company making a profit, that's what people are in business for. But greed is a different animal. The prices are as much as it would cost to fly to the Caribbean, island hop on a plane from place to place and be pampered as well. For a family of at least 4 as opposed to 2. I guess for some it's different, but for me I like the islands and the ship experience, but the ship experience isn't my main concern. I might have to start considering spending my money elsewhere and get better value for it if prices stay like they are and/or increase still. The view of the sea from a beachfront rental home or vacation hotel looks just as nice.:)

I agree with you -- if NCL is going to keep the prices the way they are, we will seek out another cruise line (in fact we're already looking at other options in January instead of the Gem) but I doubt we'd switch to a land based vacation simply because we enjoy cruising soo much.

Now if I could just get past the traditional dining it would make our decision so much easier...:rolleyes:

I always thought the new ships had the higher prices, hence why I am always the late bird in sailing on them! Although after grocery shopping today, I wondered when a one half gallon of orange juice went up to $3.99....

Coka

My husband and I prefer all-inclusives over cruises but cruising is more affordable - mostly because we don't have to pay for airfare. If cruises become more expensive than all-inclusives, then they have lost their advantage for us.

I'm sure that cruise lines have had to increase their prices because of fuel and other expenses. But if they raise them too high, they will lose business to other vacation venues. That's just simple economics.

We watched the quality of food and entertainment (other than the Jean Ann Ryan Troupe) decline over 4 sailings from 6/02 to 10/06 on the Sun and commented to NCL we would rather pay more money for our cruise than see the quality suffer. That said, we just paid a Very hefty price to sail the Jewel in 2 weeks although we did get a better price for the Pearl in October which we booked back in Feb. I was amazed at the price jump and did look at other cruiseline options as well as land-based. I figure I sat at the computer no less than 10 hours looking at different cruiseline options as well as land-based vacations in different locations...hotels, timeshares, all inclusives.....Finally, my husband said, "Just go ahead and book it. Get it over with." He also said, "We just won't do any extras this time.... " Of course, I realize we are on 2 newer ships, but I have been watching the Sun's pricing over the past few months and, yeah, it was up. So, in 2 weeks I will know whether the extra money is worth it or not. We share the opinions of others...if we just didn't love cruising and if we really weren't crazy about freestyle, there wouldn't be this discussion... But. If we don't appreciate a real difference in quality as a result of the price increase, we will rethink our October cruise.

There are two points I'd like to make:

As prices rise, so do passenger expectations. Service or dining deficiencies that might have been overlooked in the past, will no longer be acceptable because we are paying higher prices and we expect more. The cruise lines will be expected to deliver a higher quality product. If they don't deliver, and passengers stop believing they are getting a good value, they (we) will go elsewhere for their (our) vacations.

Travel industry pricing is ultimately controlled by supply and demand. Many people choose to cruise because it is a tremendous value. Cruise prices are rising because most pricing for most land based vacations are rising too... As long as there are passengers to fill the ships, pricing will act accordingly. If the demand drops, so will the pricing. Cruise lines cant afford to send out ships with low occupancy. When the demand shrinks again (and it will - it is cyclical) one might also expect to see many more older ships taken out of service to reduce the supply.

Just my opinion

Michael

As much as we hate fare increases and I believe the sudden jump is a huge mistake the new fares are still a good value. I have believed for a while now and shared my thoughts with NCL that an uplift to service and food onboard they should be able to earn a premium in the market.

They now have a great fleet getting better very year. Freestyle that separates them from every other mid market line. Upgrade the food (they have started that with the new menus) reduce the nickle and diming and you have a premium brand not a low cost rag tag fleet of white ships.

Those changes will impact many long time loyal NCL passengers who have selected NCL because it was the "cheapest" to book.

Looking at my Feb 2008 Gem pricing - it now averages around $4000 for two or $400 /day. I can still book an BA for $3000. Clearly you can find deals out their as you can with hotels. For fun I jumped on the Hyatt site to see the rates for the same 10 days - no transportation, no food, no entertainment. These rates require 100% prepay and the lowest available and do not include taxes and other fees.

Grand Cayman - Total Price Per Room: 7550.00 USD

Aruba - Total Price Per Room: 5000.00 USD

PR - sold out

Key West - Total Price Per Room: 4645.00 USD

Grand Cayman - Total Price Per Room: 7550.00 USD

Aruba - Total Price Per Room: 5000.00 USD

PR - sold out

Key West - Total Price Per Room: 4645.00 USD

WOW...I agree shoreguy...that basically prices every where are rising...I love to cruise...right now I can be happy with once a year...we can not do it in a suite...but we can do it...we get to book a year in advance and try to penny pinch until full payment is do...we get to bring our kids and we get to enjoy being out in the wonderful ocean...we have very few decisions to make...I love it...and do believe that just as the cost of everything is rising cruising prices will rise too...gad prices are INSANE...but the quality of gas is no better...I guess my point is...the food is cooked...the dishes are done...there are activities for everyone...so for me...I am cool with it...I am not saying everyone should be...but in my opinion...everything will raise in prices...and supply and demand will also have a HUGE role in the price changes:)

Princess has the anytime dining option too now, usually they are more expensive than NCL but they are having some great specials of late.

Yes, but the Personal Choice option on Princess is not the same as Freestyle on NCL. Even with Personal Choice, you still have to dress up on the formal night for all restaurants except the buffet. With NCL, you do not have to dress up at all.

I was at a Princess presentation back in September and I asked about the dress issue and I was greeted with: "oh, you still have to dress up on all cruise lines." When I replied "Not on NCL, even on Formal night," he blew me off and said: "next question."

Actually the "good old days" I was referring to was the late 80's/early 90's not the 20's when only the wealthiest cruised.

Yes fuel prices are on the rise but I doubt food and labor are costing NCL much more then it did 10-15 years ago. The ships are larger now which brings costs per passenger down.

Thanks Mark - We are almost old enough to remember the true "Good Old Days" - Thus, my comments.

If one cruise line is increasing fares, not indicative of the entire industry, it will not take long for consumers to make alternate choices, even those who are true to a specific line at this time, be it NCL, or any other.

Thank goodness, we do still have options and varied selections.

Just to put the pricing into perspective and to be a tad more realistic;)

Priced a very nice all-inclusive in the Caribbean at $3586.00 per couple with ins. ocean front, no tipping and there are some that are lower at the resort.:)

You do not have to get dressed up on Princess if you do not want to, resort casual is fine and there are more places to dine then just the buffet on most Princess ships. Yes, they do have formal nights if you care to get dressed up in a jacket. My DH did wear a jacket on NCL:D

Just to put the pricing into perspective and to be a tad more realistic;)

Priced a very nice all-inclusive in the Caribbean at $3586.00 per couple with ins. ocean front, no tipping and there are some that are lower at the resort.:)

You do not have to get dressed up on Princess if you do not want to, resort casual is fine and there are more places to dine then just the buffet on most Princess ships. Yes, they do have formal nights if you care to get dressed up in a jacket. My DH did wear a jacket on NCL:D

Thank you for the comparison - You can book the Gem for 10 days today for the same or less less and no airfare for those of us in the NYC area. That does put the pricig in persepective. Loks like either vacation will cost about the same.

I for one am not a fan of most of the all-inclusives. Many love them. The ones I would consider are far more then $3600. Stick me inside a razor wired compond on an island like DR or Jamaica to bake on a beach and I would go nuts. Not that I am not already nuts :D

I for one am not a fan of most of the all-inclusives. Many love them. The ones I would consider are far more then $3600. Stick me inside a razor wired compond on an island like DR or Jamaica to bake on a beach and I would go nuts. Not that I am not already nuts :D

Shoreguy, I feel the same - but still am tempted to try one. Do you have any that you would actually recommend (if you've stayed there), or ones you are tempted by (not having stayed)?

Trina,

We loved Sandals St Lucia (adults only), Beaches Turks and Caicos (for any age) and the Occidental Grand in Cozumel (for any age). There is plenty more to do than bake on the beach at these resorts. You can also go off the property at any time and explore the island.

We looked at a couple of all-inclusives this year but they cost about $4000. So it was still much cheaper for us to cruise. This will be our first freestyle cruise and I'm hoping it will be more like the all-inclusive experience because of the different restaurants and the option to dress more casually.

My DH have only been cruising for 3 years, 3 different cruise lines. Prior to cruising, renting waterfront homes was our choice of vacation. The price for a cruise has never been an issue for us in the past, but I have to say we are going to change it up a bit this year. We are going back to the Outer Banks, renting a beautiful ocean front for half the price of a cruise. We do enjoy the Banks, Adirondacks, Maine, Vermont, anywhere there is water. I'm going to wait out the high prices, see what happens and go back to our home rentals for now. We will cruise again, after we get over sticker shock. I can't understand why the prices have increased the way they have, I guess it's supply and demand in the end.

Archived