digital camera (point-and-shoot) recommendations?

C-Ked

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a while, and I've already gotten lots of great tips and recommendations -- thanks! :)

I'm an amateur when it comes to photography, so I'd like some advice on a good point-and-shoot camera. I've had a Canon PowerShot A75 for years now, and it's beginning to fail a little on me, so I'm in the market for a good replacement. I want a camera that will provide great image quality -- I tend to make coffee table albums of our digital pictures, so some of them will be blown up to 11x14 or larger, depending on how I do the layout. I also want something small and portable, and possibly that fits in a standard underwater housing for snorkeling and beach pictures. I think I'd prefer something that doesn't use AA or AAA batteries, since I have the impression that that makes the camera bulkier, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise -- I'm still just learning about the pros and cons of different types of batteries. (Do battery chargers fit well on cruise ship wall power outlets, anyways?)

So far, I've been leaning towards the Canon SD800 IS, since most of the reviews have been really positive, but I'm a little concerned about image quality for larger prints. Any advice, on this Canon model or any other preferred models, would be greatly appreciated!

So far, I've been leaning towards the Canon SD800 IS...

Lean harder!

After an unreasonable amount of research I narrowed down the offerings to the SD800IS and put it on the to-do list. My DW totally surprised me by buying it for my birthday! I am more impressed now than when I was researching it!

If by "larger prints" you mean 20x24s and up, you may want to pop for a DSLR, but if you are printing 11x14s and smaller, you will happy with the detail.

You may have seen some reviewers whining about corner softness at wide angles, but unless you're looking at it on your monitor at 100%, I haven't found it to be an issue.

The charger is small with a flip-out plug and an extra battery from a quality supplier like Lenmar can he had for $15.

I'll post some pics soon and drop a link here.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a while, and I've already gotten lots of great tips and recommendations -- thanks! :)

I'm an amateur when it comes to photography, so I'd like some advice on a good point-and-shoot camera. I've had a Canon PowerShot A75 for years now, and it's beginning to fail a little on me, so I'm in the market for a good replacement. I want a camera that will provide great image quality -- I tend to make coffee table albums of our digital pictures, so some of them will be blown up to 11x14 or larger, depending on how I do the layout. I also want something small and portable, and possibly that fits in a standard underwater housing for snorkeling and beach pictures. I think I'd prefer something that doesn't use AA or AAA batteries, since I have the impression that that makes the camera bulkier, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise -- I'm still just learning about the pros and cons of different types of batteries. (Do battery chargers fit well on cruise ship wall power outlets, anyways?)

So far, I've been leaning towards the Canon SD800 IS, since most of the reviews have been really positive, but I'm a little concerned about image quality for larger prints. Any advice, on this Canon model or any other preferred models, would be greatly appreciated!

I've used a number of digital camera's over the years. I always found that a cheap and nasty (idiot proof ) camera is the best. I always look for a camera that you don't have to use the large LCD display (cuts battery life by up to 80%) I travel a lot and find that AA or AAA battery camera's are easiet to carry.

Before leaving I go and buy a pack of 15 - 20 batteries to last the trip.I have found most rechargeable are only good for a year or less depending on use. They also discharge when not being used. The largest problem with rechargables is that people don't let them discharge fully(they develop a memory condition). If you want rechargeables buy a couple of sets of batteries designed for camera . Don't forget the charger.

Most of my experience with batteries comes from over 30 years in the

electronics field and dealing with these problems on very expensive

battery powered equipment.

If your camera uses AA batteries, get some disposable lithium batteries. They will last lots longer than standard alkaline and are also much lighter. I was using rechargable NiMH and they just don't hold the charge. I was having better luck with alkaline but just did the lithium on our cruise last week and one set lasted the entire week.

How does the SD800IS do with it's auto focus? I have an A620 Canon and I am not happy with it at all. I use a DSLR but brought my wife's A620 on the cruise. Now I'm looking to replace it.

...How does the SD800IS do with it's auto focus?

Very fast and accurate. It has the face-recognition technology that discerns subjects from the background and a focus assist light that lets it focus in total darkness. It also has the best flash I've ever seen on a compact camera.

I mentioned above that I researched it extensively before I finally got it and felt it was time well spent.

I have a gallery of photos from a birthday party here: http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324/DaveSBirthday2007

if you want to see how it does for real "snapshots". I had just gotten it and was still playing with the manual settings, so forgive some of the clunkers!

Dave

• 3 months later...

Since you are into the cruise thing, you may want to check out the Olympus C770. It is compact sleek rugged and well-made. It can be taken 30 feet underwater and withstands temperature extremes. The lens is coated so when you come up out of the water drops wont stick to the lens. This probably makes it better coming out on your balcony into humidity from air conditioning when cameras/lenses tend to fog over from the temp change. I have the earlier model, the 720S. They sell for about $349. I think it is 8 megapixels, plenty for any enlargements of your great shots. Easy to carry everywhere so you dont miss that great shot. No worries about rain or water or snow, cold or heat. A really impressive little camera. Love mine.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

Since you are into the cruise thing, you may want to check out the Olympus C770. It is compact sleek rugged and well-made. It can be taken 30 feet underwater and withstands temperature extremes. The lens is coated so when you come up out of the water drops wont stick to the lens. This probably makes it better coming out on your balcony into humidity from air conditioning when cameras/lenses tend to fog over from the temp change. I have the earlier model, the 720S. They sell for about $349. I think it is 8 megapixels, plenty for any enlargements of your great shots. Easy to carry everywhere so you dont miss that great shot. No worries about rain or water or snow, cold or heat. A really impressive little camera. Love mine.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

I had considered the 770SW carefully for a snorkel and harsh-environment resistant camera, citing all of the reasons you mentioned until this:

Dave - You might want to look at some reviews of the 770sw. User comments on DP REview show several that have done snorkeling and/or had it in the sea with waves have had leakage and a useles camera.

LooK HERE

And HERE

The concept sounds nice, but I think I'd trust a marine case more.

I am in no way discounting your recommendation , but after some more study and reading user reviews (which weren't available during my original research due to the camera being newly released), I have since decided to get a Canon SD-something and the dedicated housing instead. It's only a few dollars more and any inconvenience the case may cause in inconsequential since I still have my SD800 as the everyday camera.

I have often said that the best all-around camera for all occasions is usuall two (or three) cameras!:D

My 2¢...

Dave

Good point, Dave. Leaking can happen in ANY dedicated underwater camera OR housing. Just because it says it is an underwater camera doesnt mean you can treat it poorly. Dont blame an entire model of camera if you didnt check the seals before going underwater with it. ANY underwater camera can be ruined quickly if there is just one little grain of sand in a seal, allowing water in. Any underwater camera or housing from inexpensive point and shoot to Nikonos should be checked before going underwater. Inspect all the gasketed openings for battery, memory card, etc. Just one cut in a gasket or grain of sand can let the water rush in. I stand by (or should i say behind) the Olympus as a great camera, underwater or above.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

I've had a Canon PowerShot A75 for years now,

and it's beginning to fail a little on me,

so I'm in the market for a good replacement.

sounds like you're in the same situation I was.

My Canon PowerShot A 40 started malfunctioning after 4 years and seven thousand+ pix,

so I bought another Canon PowerShot, the A 630 (at 8 megapixels!)

and suffered little transitionary problems.

and now I'm laughing!!

Good point, Dave. Leaking can happen in ANY dedicated underwater camera OR housing. Just because it says it is an underwater camera doesnt mean you can treat it poorly. Dont blame an entire model of camera if you didnt check the seals before going underwater with it. ANY underwater camera can be ruined quickly if there is just one little grain of sand in a seal, allowing water in. Any underwater camera or housing from inexpensive point and shoot to Nikonos should be checked before going underwater. Inspect all the gasketed openings for battery, memory card, etc. Just one cut in a gasket or grain of sand can let the water rush in. I stand by (or should i say behind) the Olympus as a great camera, underwater or above.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

Agreed. The Oly is a good camera and the company has a long-stand rep of quality going back to the PEN series of the early 60s. I am going with the Canon mostly because of my experience with the image quality, battery life and handling of my SD800. I was waffling on the Oly vs. the Canon + housing from the beginning since I already own 8GB worth of SD cards. I was prepared, but reluctant to pick up an xD card and add another card format if I went that way, so the negative postings caused me to re-think and go with a known factor.

So many choices out there..

Happy shooting!

Dave

Hi all,

Hi,

I upgraded from my Canon A80 to a Canon A620 (7mpixels). I'm still happy with the Canon A-series cameras. Like someone else said, having AA batteries is a bonus. I had a Kodak with a proprietary battery and had the case where I was outside shooting a lot and both batteries went dead and my photo work had to stop. With the Canon there's always someone, abet sometimes very expensive, that sells AA's. Also the Canon A series all have optional underwater enclosures good to 130ft., 40m and the quality of the pictures is great. In addition, I bought after-market zoom and wide angle lenses for the A series for above water shots and I'm very happy with the quality of pictures there too. Plus, you'd be familiar with the controls (they all feel very much alike). I know the A-series is a bit bulkier but with the swivel LCD and full functions, I'm very happy with my over/under water camera. ;O)

Randall

P.S. you can check out some underwater pictures I've taken with it at http://www.randallgamby.com. Go to the Caribbean 2007 pictures. All were taken with my A620 from 90ft to 15ft underwater.

I am looking for a new digital camera. I currently have a Kodak Easy Share and I can't say that I have been overally impressed with it. I am currently looking at the Canon PowerShot A550 Digital Camera. Does any have information on it or other camera suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a new digital camera. I currently have a Kodak Easy Share and I can't say that I have been overally impressed with it. I am currently looking at the Canon PowerShot A550 Digital Camera. Does any have information on it or other camera suggestions? Thanks in advance.

In that price range, the A550 is at or near the top ol the game.

Detailed review here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A550/A550A.HTM

I studied for a long time and ended up with a Canon SD800IS. They make fine cameras, but there are many good choices out there.

Dave

In that price range, the A550 is at or near the top ol the game.

Detailed review here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A550/A550A.HTM

I studied for a long time and ended up with a Canon SD800IS. They make fine cameras, but there are many good choices out there.

Dave

I looked at the Canon SD800IS and for what I can afford right now and my needs, my budget is more the A550 range. :mad: Although, from what I have read so far, I don't think I will be disappointed. Thanks for your advice Dave. :)

I currently have a Canon S3IS and I love it. The picture quality is great for the price. Canon now has a newer model out, the S5IS. It has an 8MP sensor (as compared to my S3 @ 6MP). These two cameras use 4AA batteries (as opposed to special camera batteries) and you can get about 500 images from a fully charged set of NiMH (rechargeables).

I was very skeptical about the capability of the 12X zoom but take a look at these two pictures to see what it can do.

This first one was taken in Grand Bahama as the Carnival Celebration was pulling into the harbor. This was taken at wide angle (1x).

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2949811840074136004HJJKqI

This next one was the same shot but at full telephoto (12x).

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2814952710074136004sGPrHq

(to see the full size images...click on the "full size" link on the right side of the window)

I was amazed at how well the zoom worked. You can even read the writing on the people's tee-shirts.

If you want to get an idea of general picture quality...take a look at my entire album. All of these pictures were taken with the S3IS.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559062139JKHbmm?track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/friendsfun&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum

Here's a review for both the S3 & S5...with sample photos and buyers guide from a digital camera site I frequent.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s3-review/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s5-review/

http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/

They both also have killer video modes. They can take 640x480 video @ 30fps (i.e. standard definition TV quality video).

So...my vote is for either the Canon S3IS or the S5IS.

This is probably more info than you wanted...but hopefully it helps.

Scott

I looked at the Canon SD800IS and for what I can afford right now and my needs, my budget is more the A550 range. :mad: Although, from what I have read so far, I don't think I will be disappointed. Thanks for your advice Dave. :)

I've handled the A550 and it seems to be a nice solid little camera. The cost of the SD series as opposed to the A series is mostly compactness, LCD size and the image stabilization. Admittedly, that's a lot of difference, but on the whole, those features don't make better pictures (ok, the IS is handy after hauling my 50-year-old butt up a bunch of stairs to get a shot...).

This picture was taken with my 5 MP Minolta G500. I have it printed at 8x10 and nobody has ever told me "That's a nice picture taken with a moderately-priced compact camera"...They just say, "Nce picture!" ;)

large.jpg

I say this a lot nowadays: The best camera is the one you will use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't.

Whatever camera you get, just remember to use it and enjoy it!

Happy shooting!

Dave

I thought about getting the Canon SD800 and went to look at it and then came upon another one I liked. For some reason the smallness of the Canon was too small for me and I held a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8K which I liked. It looks and feels like a DSLR even though it is a point and shoot and it is easier for me to handle. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this camera?

I thought about getting the Canon SD800 and went to look at it and then came upon another one I liked. For some reason the smallness of the Canon was too small for me and I held a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8K which I liked. It looks and feels like a DSLR even though it is a point and shoot and it is easier for me to handle. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this camera?

Here's the "bottom line" from Digital Photograhy Reveiw (DPReview) -

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/page17.asp

The review is from Feb 07 and addresses the -FZ8 (not the -FZ8K you specifically mention.) They liked it but like any digital camera, it's not without it's weaknesses. It's worth a serious look.

Over at Steve's Digicams, his bottom line (May 07) is similar -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/fz8_pg5.html

As Dave says in many of his posts: "The best camera is the one you will use and the picture you take will always be better than the one you didn't.

"Whatever camera you get, just remember to use it and enjoy it!"

And that's the truth!

We expect to see some pictures posted!

I know what you mean, I just bought a canon S3 IS I love the heft of this camera, and it has a swivel LCD screen which is awesome.

This Panasonic is a good choice, no camera is perfect, but this is definitely a good choice, look at the canon S3 IS as well, very similar cameras as far as features go and around the same price, I got mine for $284 with free shipping.

MAC

Archived