You MAY Still Bring Non-Alcoholic Drinks On RCI

Just wanted to let everyone know that we had no problem bring soda (Moutain Dew) on the ship on our carry on. We boarded the Navigator on April 7th and returned home yesterday. We brought 5 sodas each in our two carry on bags and no one said a word.

I believe if you are reasonable in the amount you bring and you will have not problems (even in your carry on). Good luck, I really don't expect you will need it and after the fact you will be looking back thinking what I'm thinking. . . "I created this thread and devised my argument to present to RCI (and others spoke of doctors notes) as to why RCI's policy doesn't prohibit non-alcoholic beverages being brough onboard and they didn't even care when we arrived." A very happy ending to this thread for me, but I sure wish I hadn't thought so much about it in advance.

Our last cruise was in March on the Mariner. We took a 24 count diet decaf. coke and a 24 count water with no proplem. We had them on a black metal luggage cart (Target), but we had to take them off to go through the scanner. The cart had to go through also.

This note is on her legal prescription pad.....so i do not think it is something anyone can just make up. And I was not joking about it, I can not tolerate caffeine, and the cruiseline does not have caffeine free pepsi or even coke. If they did I would glady pay for the soda card and that would be the end of the problem.

Uh, you do know that chocolate contains caffeine? If you have a medical reason why you have to abstain from caffeine, you should abstain from chocolate also. (I know it's hard....)

In yesterday's (Sunday) Washington Post travel section, there was a report that Carnaval has rescinded their policy of not allowing passengers to bring non-alcoholic beverages on board. It was one sentence buried in one of the Sunday travel columns.

In yesterday's (Sunday) Washington Post travel section, there was a report that Carnaval has rescinded their policy of not allowing passengers to bring non-alcoholic beverages on board. It was one sentence buried in one of the Sunday travel columns.

Well, that's nice to hear. The previous policy was just plain silly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Enchantment of the Seas this week. We brought on a 12-pack Ginger Ale and 10 bottles water with no problem. Had a soft-side cooler which our cabin attendant kept filled w/ ice at all times. Very convenient...not to have to run to a bar or Windjammer or request room service.

Hi everyone!

I had contacted RCI about our upcoming cruise on the Mariner of the Seas concerning bringing bottled water and some Mt. Dew onboard. This is the answer I recieved today.

Thank you for your email.

Bottled Still and Sparkling water is available for purchase onboard all Royal Caribbean ships.

Guests are not permitted to bring bottled beverages onboard our ships unless there is a noted medical issue requiring this. Cost of bottled water is subject to change. Guests can inquire onboard our ships as to the cost.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Pamela Jackson

Customer Service Representative

Now I am not sure waht to do as we always buy the drink cards and bring water and Mt. Dew. I do not drink the water on any ship and need water and they don't have Mt.Dew for our daughter. What do you all make of their answer?:confused:

I think if you ask, the answer is always going to be no. My personal experience (Port Everglades, EOS) is that it went through w/ no problems just this past week.

If its not a big deal for you to get it to the port (not sure if you are driving or flying), why not take the chance? Worst case is they take it and you don't get it back...my 10 bottles of water probably cost $3.00 or so...if they took it, my feeling was no big loss and worth a shot!

The problem is what do you do if when you get there you can't take it on. Then you are leaving on a cruise where all you will be able to drink is soda from the drink card or pay for a case of bottles of water at their prices. Also when you go on a cruise it is a vacation and usually on a vacation people like to drink their favorite soda as many on here have stated, and my daughter just would like to drink hers, Mt. Dew. We always but the drink cards besides so I don't see why they don't allow someone to bring on a soda that they don't even have, and water for the cabin and ports. I cannot drink the ships water. I wonder why both Carnival and Holland America let you bring water and soda, but not RCI? :confused:

The bottom line is if you contact RCI they are going to answer in the negative as demonstrated by numerous posts in the thread.

Arriving at the port with a reasonable amount of nonalchoholic beverage is not going to be an issue and has not been proven to be an issue based on the comments in this thread.

The written policy does not prohibit them and until they start enforcing the policy which they are quoting over the phone there really isn't much to worry about but each cruiser (including us) gets apprehensive before the cruise only to get through security with their nonalcoholic beverages without incident and then later, comes back to the forum and thinks, "boy, I guess there WAS nothing to worry about afterall."

However, I hope those who continue to NOT bring on nonalcoholic beverage keep on NOT doing so because obviously through disinformation they are scaring enough people into not bringing on such beverages which has likely (much to RCI's delight) prevented RCI from needing to place in writing (and enforcing) a beverage policy which they realize would be extremely unpopular.

It seems clear that by calling RCI the answer you will get. Dont call them. Do bring a reasonable amount of sodas and water. It also seems very clear that after reading my tickets for the upcoming Liberty cruise there is nothing saying you cant bring non alcoholic beverages. The tickets and documents only discuss not brining alcoholic drinks.

As I said earlier, this has nothing to do with the cost of the drinks! We always purchase the soda cards and buy way too many souviniers and drinks in ports, and still want to have the convenience of having bottles of water in our cabin and to take in to ports, most ships only have the larger bottles in the cabin, not one that I would drink out of myself. I do not ever drink any ships water. The reason for wanting to bring Mt. Dew is that they don't have it to buy on the ship or we would! We are on a vacation and our daughter should be able to drink something she likes as well! We certainly don't have a problem paying for the drinks, or our cruises and I doubt that most of the others on here take their own drinks onboard for that reason either. THis will be our 11th cruise in less than three years with number 12 coming one month later and yet another one coming in Dec. It is not about money! We love to cruise and we also like to have something to quench our thirst.

I sailed on the Rhapsody April 8th. 2 people in our group carried on a 12 packs of Diet Pepsi (not concealed in any way) as well a 2 cans of Red Bull and did not have any questions or problems.

Lynn

Isn't it great that we can all voice our opinion on this subject on this board. :)

My opinion is, as long as the items you want to bring with you are not prohibited by the cruise contract, then why not. Since some forms of beverages are specifically prohibited by the contract yet soda and water are not listed, then they are allowed. Therefore, if a person wants to pack along their own soda or water bottles for whatever reason, then more power to them.

IMHO saying that if you cannot afford to take a cruise and purchase your beverages on board that perhaps you should not be taking a cruise would be equal to saying that if you cannot afford to take a cruise and purchase your weeks worth of clothing from the on board shops then perhaps you should not take a cruise... or maybe you should not take a camera as they have photographers who are willing to take your picture at any given time, or your video camera since they have a DVD available for purchase, or your jewelry since it is available, or your medications such as Tylenol since they are available, or shampoo since you can always visit the hair salon and have it done, or other toiletries... well... you get my drift... These are also all things that are available on the ship, yet are not prohibited by the cruise contract.

This is not a thread about people trying to take on things that are specifically prohibited by the cruise contract, but more of a clarification of current guidelines and contract wording and enforcement. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the SOV last week and we carried a 12 pk of Diet Pepsi on board, no one said a thing except where can I find me a Diet Pepsi?..lol..so I think if you call and ask RC they will say no but no one will say anything to you...we checked in, went through ssecurity, etc, walked on board, etc and no one mentioned it or looked at us funny.

Archived