Crown Sail Away from NYC

aussieonwater

Can anyone tell me which side of the ship has the best view of the N.Y skyline during sailaway? I really want to take it in from my balcony with DH and a nice bottle of red.... Thanks....

Greetings from Auckland. We are sailing out of NY in September on the Grand Princes, from what I have worked out, Princess sails out of Brooklyn and the NY skyline is on the port side. However about 3/4 hour after sailing the Statue of Liberty appears on the starboard side. I guess that means sipping the vino at sailing and then hot footing it to the sailway party depending on what side of the ship your cabin is. We have an aft mini-suite. I sincerely hope that your bottle of red is a really good Aussie one :D

Hope you have a great cruise'

Val

Thanks for the info Val. Think we might try something local or south american but yes it's true that us aussies and kiwis do make a nice wine !!!;) I hope you enjoy your cruise in the MINI. We are tossing up between a mini and balcony (more wine money v's bigger bathroom and lux. sheets etc... UUmmmm tough one !!!!

Can anyone tell me which side of the ship has the best view of the N.Y skyline during sailaway? I really want to take it in from my balcony with DH and a nice bottle of red.... Thanks....

Without doubt the best place is Starboard and preferably aft too. The Crown is berthed facing down river so Manhattan is over your right shoulder as you set sail.

Brooklyn is to the south of Manhattan. Typically, the ship will be docked with Brooklyn on the port side and Manhattan on the starboard side. You will set sail in a westerly direction, and then turn south when you near the Statue of Liberty, which will be passed on the starboard side.

Enjoy the cruise.

Both of the above posters are correct, but what should really be noted is that the Manhattan view isn't that great from where the ship is...the only building I could reliably recognize was the UN. The highlight of leaving for me was the Statue, and passing under the Verrazano at dusk. I have pictures of that somewhere...

The starboard side is absolutely the way to go. The Crown backs into the pier and then sails straight out, no turning required, and the starboard balconies have a lovely view of the Statue and also downtown Manhattan. We sailed last August, and spent the whole afternoon on our balcony, enjoying the views and the boats in the harbor. Port side only looks out onto the pier and Brooklyn.

So how do I know which side my room is on? I am in R702.

Thanks,

MJM

Even numbers are port(left side facing forward) side, odd numbers starboard (right side facing forward)

So R702 is on the port side of the ship;)

Definitely want starboard if you want photos of the Statue of Liberty at sailaway.

I agree about the Verranzano Bridge at dusk. The timing is tricky -- you want to still have daylight to photograph the Statue and the Staten Island ferries...but at dusk the lights will be on on the bridge, and that makes for pretty pictures. :)

How close do you get to the Statue of Liberty at sailaway from NYC. This is our first trip and were wondering whether we would get a satisfactory look. Maybe we should make a special trip there before our cruise?

Thanks for the info Val. Think we might try something local or south american but yes it's true that us aussies and kiwis do make a nice wine !!!;) I hope you enjoy your cruise in the MINI. We are tossing up between a mini and balcony (more wine money v's bigger bathroom and lux. sheets etc... UUmmmm tough one !!!!

Why dont you sail on the 18 Sept with us :D We don't only make good wines we also make very good travelling compainions. Nothing like a ship full of Aussies and Kiwis :D

Here's a link to our webshots from last August's cruise: http://travel.webshots.com/album/553881761QUitsd?track_pagetag=/page/photo/travel/cruises&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum. The first few shots were taken from our balcony --- the view of the Statue was a little clearer most of the time, it was getting foggy by the time I took that picture.Photos of Bermuda, our first port, were also taken from our starboard balcony. By the way, that's DH and DD in the pictures -- I got home to find that I was so busy taking pictures, I didn't end up in too many. Lesson learned......

MJM,

You are in the exact cabin we were in last June on the Crown. It is very convenient to the back pool, Horizon Court, etc. We went up on deck for the sail away to get a better view of the bridge and State of Liberty. When coming back into NYC we stayed on our balcony - awesome view as the ship turns completely around and then docks.

Enjoy R702! We are sailing on the Crown again this August.

MJM,

You are in the exact cabin we were in last June on the Crown. It is very convenient to the back pool, Horizon Court, etc. We went up on deck for the sail away to get a better view of the bridge and State of Liberty. When coming back into NYC we stayed on our balcony - awesome view as the ship turns completely around and then docks.

MJM,

Thanks for the tip! When in August? We will be there Aug. 10.

MJM

MJM,

Mike we will also be there in Aug. On the 10th.

MJM

Princess sails out of Brooklyn and the NY skyline is on the port side. However about 3/4 hour after sailing the Statue of Liberty appears on the starboard side.

Not unless you sail from Manhattan. It is all on the Starboard side from the Red Hook terminal.(right). :)

Not unless you sail from Manhattan. It is all on the Starboard side from the Red Hook terminal.(right). :)

You get the feeling some people just make up answers.

These are from another ship that leaves from Red Hook.

http://share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGRL

all the ships so far have backed in. this is the view from the starboard side. Aft you get an ok view of Downtown Manhattan and the Brooklyn/Manhattan Bridges(up the East River).

The Island between the ship and the SOL is Governors Island. (after the British Governor who lived there before the revolution). The Channel is called Buttermilk Channel.

Archived