Cost of Carnival Cruises v. Royal Caribbean

evolutiondob

I’m really a bit perplexed at the huge price difference between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I could see if RCI was a “luxury” cruise line but being that both Carnival and RCI are in the same class, I don’t understand why RCI charges so much. For example, I priced a Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival Freedom versus RCI’s Freedom of the Seas. Both ships are around the same age and offer similar amenities (at least in my opinion). For an interior room, RCI is pricing out at almost $900 more. The difference is similar for an ocean view room. Just curious if anyone has any idea why there is such a huge price differential between the two cruise lines?

they really aren't all that similar. But the deal is, people are willing to pay to sail on the voyager ships, so why would they lower their price to match carnival?

with teenagers, the ships are well worth the money. My kids totally loved it.

my husband and I, well as long as the kids are having a great time, so do we.

But for just the two of us, we wouldn't book their ships.

It was a great debate for new years, which ship to choose. rccl was just ridiculously overpriced. my kids (17+) all like the variety of things to do on rccl.

however they are equally happy with carnival. they don't miss the wall etc but they did really want to try the surfing thing. which is ridiculous I think since they surf in the real ocean, what kind of fun is surfing in a pool? But apparently at 23 and 20 surfing in the pool looks like a blast.

But anyway, I'm not paying their prices for a week long cruise just so they can surf in the pool once...lol We did the voyager when it first came out, they were much younger and loved it. We liked it too, but obviously not enough to keep going back.

I do think it is fun to go at least once on a ship that offers all that kind of stuff...if you are going to try it.

I will admit that RCI seems to offer a lot more in terms of activities for kids (rock climbing, inline skating, ice skating, miniature golf and the FlowRider) but I do wonder how many opportunities kids have to actually perform those activities since there are a lot of other kids who would like to use it.

I’m curious - what about the Carnival ship and activities did your kids enjoy? My kids will be 16 and 12 when we sail Carnival Freedom.

When my husband and I were looking to book our upcoming cruise for this June we looked into Carnival, Princess and Royal Carribean. All out of NY and basically the same itinerary, and a balcony cabin. RC wanted almost 2000 more than Carnival, Princess wanted almost 1000 more. I cannot see spending so much extra money for basically the same thing. I don't climb rock walls or ice skate so that would have done us no good. I am very happy that I chose the Miracle and have only been reading wonderful reviews about her.:D

We looked at RCI, Princess and Carnival for early June. RCI and Princess was 9 days; 8 days for Carnival. Did lots of research and decided on Carnival Miracle. No, there is no rock climbing or skating rink on Miracle but read only very good reviews about Miracle and we wanted a larger room for 3 including a 19 year old. Sit tight--Miracle for 8 days was $2,800 less than RCI for one extra day for a suite of similar size. Ridiculous for a skating rink and rock climbing wall that might be used only several times. We are taking a vacation--we are not buying the ship and from what I hear Carnival is just fine with plenty to do. $2,800--we could take another trip. Have never been on Carnival but have heard they have upgraded considerably including food, bedding and they have larger rooms then other. Read the reviews from recent travelers--almost nothing but good comments about Miracle.

There is no doubt about it Carnival is the cheapest price. But I would not say that Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess are all alike. They all offer different things.......

Actually we are sailing on the Crown Princess in December for pretty close to what we paid for the Valor last Dec. The total price actually came out to the same price condsidering we paid lower airfare this time around....

Like others have said it all depends on your priority....More stuff for kids to do on RCCL.......anytime dining on Princess.......big cabins on Carnival....

Sorry but I can't say that the two Freedoms are the same at all. There are sooo many more things on RCCL Freedom of the seas. You can't possibly say that they are the same.

I could go point by point but just off the top of my head...

H2O zone on RCCL FOS has nothing like it on Carnival. As a matter the entire top deck of RCCL Freedom has sooo much more than CCL Freedom.

Surfing/Rock Climbing/ice skating/the hot tubs that hang over the ocean/ the ADULT only solarium pool. What about the parades inside the FOS? And all of the small cafes, Ben & Jerrys, Seattles Best Coffee, Johnny Rockets?

From the video and pictures I've seen, the kids clubs don't compare either. The FOS AO is totally over the top.

And the 3 level dining room in FOS :eek:

I am leaving for FOS in 26 days....I was looking at the CCL Freedom as an "in between cruise" as in this is the cruise I do in between RCCL cruises.

I am happy doing any cruiseline. As long as I am at sea. But I can definatly see the difference in the 2 Freedoms and why FOS is at a premium right now.

If you can go to http://www.freedomoftheseas.com and not see the WOW factor in this ship, then you're right, it's not worth the extra $900 ;)

We too have sailed both, and our last cruise we switched from Carnival to RC because we wanted to go to Aruba. We had to give up our balcony and go to a Promenade room to keep in the same cost.

Our next cruise we too chose the Carnival Miracle. We really wanted to try a balcony and it was 2000.00 more on Rc--just couldn't justify it, we could do another cruise!!!!!!!!!! I too have been reading many great reviews about the Miracle...so we can't wait!!

My guess is just superior marketing. RCCL has convinced many people that they need a rock-climbing wall, ice rink, and now a surf simulator on a Caribbean cruise. IMHO, Carnival already has a bunch of crap I don't want to do on a cruise, so why should I pay for more amenities that I just won't use? :)

And the most obvious comparison, it's the BIGGEST ship on the seas with it's sister ships Liberty and coming Independance.

You may not like bigger ships, but people ARE willing to pay a premium for them. I, for one, am. :D

# of Passengers

Freedom of the Seas - 3,634

CCL Freedom - 2,974

Gross Tonnage:

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 160,000

CCL Freedom - 110,000

Length:

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 1,112'

CCL Freedom - 952'

what about the Carnival ship and activities did your kids enjoy? My kids will be 16 and 12>>>>>

they loved the kids programs at that age. Carnival seems to do a lot of fun stuff for younger children. they have all night parties (you pay extra for that) but tons of activities all day and up to 10pm at night. They take them swimming under the stars. Tie dye tshirts, scavenger hunts, trivia, kids talent shows. I am doing this from memory since my youngest is now 17, it's been awhile since they immersed themselves in the kids program. but they always had a great time and couldn't wait to sail again. I don't think I ever heard, I'm bored. But my kids are adventurous and very outgoing so they make tons of friends easily. And we only sailed, with them, on school breaks, never off times. so there are always tons of kids. One of the things that my kids really liked was learning to make the fancy napkins when they were little. My daughter still does them for our dinner table occasionally. She learned at about 6 and never forgot. Even my boys learned. One of the cruises they had a kids fashion show. I have no idea if they do any of that stuff anymore, hopefully someone with children that are your kids ages will answer you. Oh and they learned magic tricks from the magician.

we have sailed nearly all the lines and my kids loved carnival.

When my youngest was 10, the other two were 13 and 16 we sailed the voyager. The absolutely loved it. my boys like rock climbing, so they did it every chance they got. It was worth it to us for them to really enjoy the ship.

Would I seek out their ships now? Probably not. If I got a really good deal, then I would. There are so many other things we enjoy doing as a family, that paying such a high premium to sail a voyager class ship for 7 days isn't worth it to us at this point in time. But we all have very fond memories of that cruise and if my children were still in that age bracket, I surely would sail a voyager class ship again.

what about the Carnival ship and activities did your kids enjoy? My kids will be 16 and 12>>>>>

they loved the kids programs at that age. Carnival seems to do a lot of fun stuff for younger children. they have all night parties (you pay extra for that) but tons of activities all day and up to 10pm at night. They take them swimming under the stars. Tie dye tshirts, scavenger hunts, trivia, kids talent shows. I am doing this from memory since my youngest is now 17, it's been awhile since they immersed themselves in the kids program. but they always had a great time and couldn't wait to sail again. I don't think I ever heard, I'm bored. But my kids are adventurous and very outgoing so they make tons of friends easily. And we only sailed, with them, on school breaks, never off times. so there are always tons of kids. One of the things that my kids really liked was learning to make the fancy napkins when they were little. My daughter still does them for our dinner table occasionally. She learned at about 6 and never forgot. Even my boys learned. One of the cruises they had a kids fashion show. I have no idea if they do any of that stuff anymore, hopefully someone with children that are your kids ages will answer you. Oh and they learned magic tricks from the magician.

we have sailed nearly all the lines and my kids loved carnival.

When my youngest was 10, the other two were 13 and 16 we sailed the voyager. The absolutely loved it. my boys like rock climbing, so they did it every chance they got. It was worth it to us for them to really enjoy the ship.

Would I seek out their ships now? Probably not. If I got a really good deal, then I would. There are so many other things we enjoy doing as a family, that paying such a high premium to sail a voyager class ship for 7 days isn't worth it to us at this point in time. But we all have very fond memories of that cruise and if my children were still in that age bracket, I surely would sail a voyager class ship again.

(RCCL Freedom isn't a Voyager class ship, it's a Freedom class ship. ;) :D )

Yes my kids loved Camp Carnival but they are absolutly bursting waiting for the Freedom of the Seas cruise. I have never seen them this excited. They watch that travel channel special on FOS every few days.

RCCL Freedom isn't a Voyager class ship, it's a Freedom class ship. >>>>

ahh, ok :) I watched the travel channel special on it and it surely does look amazing. I was very tempted but $15,000 for 7 days over new years untempted me ;)

My darn kids had to decide they wanted to go to college and the financial aid people think we are rich :o so there goes freedom.....both the ship and bank account to afford the ship :D

But I do envy you, it is a beautiful ship. Enjoy your vacation!

Crusinmama,

I do agree with you that RCI has a “wow” factor. But, I’ve also heard that because of the sheer number of people on some of the RCI ships (especially the new ones) that it’s often difficult to actually participate in many of the activities more than a few times.

What is most important to me is that my children have a wonderful time. I’d like to participate in some excursions off the boat too because I feel that would add into the experience. So, I guess I was wondering if it is actually worth it to pay $900 more for the ship or to save the money and try to spend it in other ways that would be enjoyable.

MaryZ, I know that many of those activities my daughter would love (she’s 12). My son is a bit more sports and video game oriented. I know there’s a basketball court on Carnival Freedom. I also know he likes hanging out in the teen disco (he did it when we sailed the Monarch of the Seas about four years ago).

I am a huge Carnival fan, it was our first cruise line and we will DEFINITELY sail with Carnival again!! But I do not htink you can compare a ship to RC's Freedom right now. I have not been on it but what I read and hear is there is a lot more than a rock climbing wall and ice skating that makes it so unique. We are currently booked on RC for May and I am looking forward to comparing RC and Carnival. So far I notice the cabins are smaller on RC. We paid a little more to stay in a superior ocean view, the room is only 157 sq. feet! We are doing a 4 night Bahamas on the Sovereign that stops at RC's island of Cococay and then Nassau. One major reason I booked RC was at the time I was looking to book our cruise is RC only required $100 deposit whereas Carnival wanted more. I guess we will see soon how I like RC!

As an RCI veteran (both on their tugboat the Empress and the Navigator, which used to be the big boat :) ) now planning to sail on Carnival, I have to say that RCI's prices *are* over the top. While I do enjoy the general build of the ships better - especially the pool deck on the Voyager class - I just can't justify the prices, not to mention the fact that RCI really needs to add more itineraries as well. Even pricing outside the Freedom class, RCI costs much more for smaller sized cabins on Carnival.

I still love RCI, but I'd like to see them take the prices down a notch and not be so hell-bent on having so many newer/bigger ships. I'm fully expecting the RCI Death Star to be completed by 2015! :D

RCCL Freedom isn't a Voyager class ship, it's a Freedom class ship. >>>>

ahh, ok I watched the travel channel special on it and it surely does look amazing. I was very tempted but $15,000 for 7 days over new years untempted me

My darn kids had to decide they wanted to go to college and the financial aid people think we are rich :o so there goes freedom.....both the ship and bank account to afford the ship :D

But I do envy you, it is a beautiful ship. Enjoy your vacation!

$15,000, girl what room were YOU booking. :eek: lol

My grand suite wasn't $15,000....but I STILL am not telling the hubby what I really paid. Shhhhhh :cool: :p

Crusinmama,

I do agree with you that RCI has a “wow” factor. But, I’ve also heard that because of the sheer number of people on some of the RCI ships (especially the new ones) that it’s often difficult to actually participate in many of the activities more than a few times.

I will definalty let everyone know when I get back. I can imagine the flow rider is probably busy but I won't be standing in line for that. :eek: lol

I hear that the rock climbing wall is generally open. And the ice skating, no problem. I just want to find some room for my butt in that hot tub.

I'll let you know if I suceeed....lol.

I’m really a bit perplexed at the huge price difference between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I could see if RCI was a “luxury” cruise line but being that both Carnival and RCI are in the same class, I don’t understand why RCI charges so much. For example, I priced a Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival Freedom versus RCI’s Freedom of the Seas. Both ships are around the same age and offer similar amenities (at least in my opinion). For an interior room, RCI is pricing out at almost $900 more. The difference is similar for an ocean view room. Just curious if anyone has any idea why there is such a huge price differential between the two cruise lines?

It's very simple. It's called supply and demand. RCI is charging what their customers are willing to pay. Carnival is charging what their customers are willing to pay. If you don't think so here is an quote from Bob Dickinson that was in an article on Seatrader Inside News last month.

Quote from article:

But Dickinson voiced concern that lines are not focused enough on attracting new cruisers. Also, ‘our product is too good a value,’ he said. ‘We’re just giving away the cruises at too low a price.

Having cruised with Carnival 16 times over the years and now 8 with RCI, I see a difference and IMHO RCI gives me a much better overall cruise experience and no I don't use the rock climbing wall, Flowrider, etc. but what I do enjoy are the ships themselves, adults only solariums, better service with a more freindly crew, cleaner ships that are maintained much better and a past guest program that far surpasses the one that Carnival finally decided to put into place after thirty years. Is Carnival bad? No but after having cruised a good number of the different class vessels in the RCI fleet I can see a difference. Go with what makes you happy.

We too have sailed both, and our last cruise we switched from Carnival to RC because we wanted to go to Aruba. We had to give up our balcony and go to a Promenade room to keep in the same cost.

Our next cruise we too chose the Carnival Miracle. We really wanted to try a balcony and it was 2000.00 more on Rc--just couldn't justify it, we could do another cruise!!!!!!!!!! I too have been reading many great reviews about the Miracle...so we can't wait!!

We did the Destiny and the AOS in January and it was $400 balcony VS balcony more each for the AOS. We did it for the intinerary but the ship was not worth $800 more for both of us. We will stay with CCL and just booked the CCL Freedom and Miracle for next January. We don't do the rocks and we don't surf everything else is close enough for us (we like the lunch much better on CCL) to save alot of money and what we cruise for is ports , relaxation, entertainment and we like CCL food better. Not that we didn't try some other cruise lines, we just like CCL better. JMO

As an RCI veteran (both on their tugboat the Empress and the Navigator, which used to be the big boat :) ) now planning to sail on Carnival, I have to say that RCI's prices *are* over the top. While I do enjoy the general build of the ships better - especially the pool deck on the Voyager class - I just can't justify the prices, not to mention the fact that RCI really needs to add more itineraries as well. Even pricing outside the Freedom class, RCI costs much more for smaller sized cabins on Carnival.

I still love RCI, but I'd like to see them take the prices down a notch and not be so hell-bent on having so many newer/bigger ships. I'm fully expecting the RCI Death Star to be completed by 2015! :D

I liked that the Fascination had two pools and the Sov "has two" I guess but they are almost connected...meaning it will be totally crowded in that area...

There are going to be many opinions on this. You need to decide what is most important to you. For us the RCI was just too big and we were not willing to spend such a huge difference for the same type room--did not want a tugboat, but over 3,000 on a ship was just too much for us. Miracle has about 2,100. Also, what matters to you--larger room with balcony? some do not care because they feel not much time is spent in the room--for us we like to be able to spread out a bit and Carnival cabins are larger--how much will you use the rock wall and rink and is it worth the premium to you. There is no right or wrong answer--that's why there are diffeent cruise lines; different size ships; and different amenities. Some will give up a larger cabin and a balcony for the RCI amenities; some prefer the larger cabins and the niceity of having a balcony. And what is your pocketbook? We preferred to pay lots less; still have an excellent cruise on a well regarded ship with large cabin and have lots left over for the next vacation.

There are going to be many opinions on this. You need to decide what is most important to you. For us the RCI was just too big and we were not willing to spend such a huge difference for the same type room--did not want a tugboat, but over 3,000 on a ship was just too much for us. Miracle has about 2,100. Also, what matters to you--larger room with balcony? some do not care because they feel not much time is spent in the room--for us we like to be able to spread out a bit and Carnival cabins are larger--how much will you use the rock wall and rink and is it worth the premium to you. There is no right or wrong answer--that's why there are diffeent cruise lines; different size ships; and different amenities. Some will give up a larger cabin and a balcony for the RCI amenities; some prefer the larger cabins and the niceity of having a balcony. And what is your pocketbook? We preferred to pay lots less; still have an excellent cruise on a well regarded ship with large cabin and have lots left over for the next vacation.

Here is a little information about size and crowds. A lot of folks go on the Sovereign of the Seas and base the entire line on that ship. That would be like doing the same thing with the Holiday.

On one of the newer ships for each line here is the breakdown for passengers and passenger to space ratio.

Carinval Liberty - 110,000 tons - 2974 passengers - PSR = 37

Freedom of the Seas - 160000 tonss - 3634 passengers - PSR = 44

The higher the number on the PSR = more space devoted to passengers.

Room comparison between the two ships. RCI gives you more options on size of cabins. The only ships that have staterooms that are not comparible with Carnival are the Sovereign and Vision class ships.

Outside cabins

Carnival Liberty 5A porthole outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Freedom OTS - outside stateroom = 161 square feet.

Carnival Liberty 6A - standard outside stateroom = 185 square feet

Freedom OTS - Large outside stateroom = 200 square feet

Freedom OTS - Family outside staterooom = 290 square feet

Balcony cabins

Carnival Liberty 8A - Standard balcony stateroom = 220 square feet of which the cabin is 185 square feet and the balcony is 35 square feet.

Freedom OTS - Standard Balcony stateroom = 251 square feet of which the cabin is 177 square feet and the balcony is 74 square feet.

Interior Staterooms

Carnival Liberty Category 4 = 185 square feet

Freedom Standard Inside = 152 square feet.

Suites

Carnival Liberty Category 11 = 330 square feet of which the cabin is 245 square feet plus 85 square feet for the balcony.

Freedom OTS Junior Suite = 388 square feet of which cabin is 287 square feet and balcony is 101 square feet.

Carnival Liberty Catergory 12 = 415 square feet of which the cabin is 300 square feet plus 115 square feet.

Freedom of the Seas Grand Suite = 513 square feet of which the cabin is 387 square feet and the balcony is 126 square feet.

I would never use the rock climbing or "surfing" stuff

We have Johnny Rockets at our Sawgrass Mills Mall...we have rockclimbing at Coral Square Mall which is a mile or so away from me...

It would be fun to watch ice skating I guess...but...not for the sort of prices they want. It would be nice to try if it was like $100 more..or even maybe $200 more...but when I hear people talking about a $900 price diff?? Or even more...ouch

IMHO that could buy a lot of shore excursions, and onboard fun on Carnival

I guess if you want to "treat" your teens to this stuff, go for it..totally not worth it to me.

Archived