Pantyhose question

vfb2girls

Since it has been such a long time since I even attempted to dress up I need to know do women still wear panyhose under their evening wear? I am looking a buying a long black formal for my Alaskan cruise and the shoes I want to wear with them are high-heeled sandels. So do I skip the panyhose and just wear no hose under my dress or can I wear panyhose? I will of course have a pedicure so my feet will look somewhat okay but I am not sure just how comfortable I am going to feel without hose. What do you fashion experts recommend? And if it makes any difference I am older so I do not have the greatest looking legs.

1) I agree that pantyhose will not work with open toed sandals.

2) If you feel better wearing hose, perhaps choose different dress shoes. When I feel that my overall look will be more "finished" by wearing hose, I will choose dressy pumps instead of sandals.

3) Age is irrelevant.

Every individual has their own rules about this. One lady will say it's never ok, some say yes, others say it depends.

You have to decide what is right for you. If you don't feel comfortable, then do what does feel comfortable.

My own opinion is that if other people stare at your feet, then they have bigger fish they need to go fry! :)

Thanks for the fashion tip, now does this advice only apply to the young? Since I am a senior citizen I was wondering if this is still acceptable.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever one cannot wear pantyhose with open toe sandals, as long as they are not the pantyhose with reinforced toes! (And of course, they are not black or brown pantyhose, with white or beige shoes!!!) LOL

Sorry but my mom is old school southern lady, and I am talking a lady here. She ALWAYS wears hose, even with sandals. She says it is inappropriate for a lady to go to dinner with bare legs. She has even done some more modern things like wear white year round, which is okay now. I wear hose with my dressy sandals too. Now if you have on shorts and casual sandals, sure no hose, but dressy sandals, no hose, looks tacky in my book, but then I dont really care what others do. I am not there to judge anyone else, I am there to feel good about me and how I look and feel, so that is all that matters.

You need to wear what you're comfortable with. I totally disagree with the "no pantyhose with sandals" rule. If it's for formal evening wear, I wear pantyhose....period. I buy the most ultra sheer pantyhose I can find with a sandal toe and I do wear them with my high-heel sandals. And, if I must blow my own horn, got rave reviews on my outfit for formal night...so there. :p

Now, on one of the casual nights, I did wear a knee-length dress with high-heel sandals and no hose. I thought the outfit looked better with a bare leg. But there are times....such as formal nights....a dress will just scream for pantyhose. So, there is no one rule for wearing them.

I don't wear pantyhose in summer with sundresses, etc. But if I'm dressed to the nines, you bet your booty I'll be wearing hose. :)

1) I agree that pantyhose will not work with open toed sandals.

2) If you feel better wearing hose, perhaps choose different dress shoes. When I feel that my overall look will be more "finished" by wearing hose, I will choose dressy pumps instead of sandals.

3) Age is irrelevant.

I agree with Caviargal with one slight adjustment on #1.

There are *some* sandals that look okay with a nude hose - ones that perhaps are more of a "peep toe". However, most of the dressy sandals I see are very open with perhaps only one or two skinny straps to hold them on the foot. *Those* sandals, IMHO, don't look well with hose. The look just isn't right AND your feet are likely to slide out.....they could be dangerous if they're backless!

I prefer hose with dresses and so I wear a dressy closed shoe. My favorite cut is a D'Orsay cut shoe that has open sides.

Nooo don't wear pantyhose with sandals!!!! If you want to wear the hose wear a real closed toe shoe....or if you are set on the sandals then get some footless pantyhose so you still have the "feel" of pantyhose..but please..no hose with sandals!!!!!

I guess I am of the "old school" too. Doesn't matter to me if people wear hose with strappy sandals or not. Just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. Personally I usually wear very sheer hose with my sandals. I'm just curious though about the new "rule" about no hose with sandals. Just when did this come about? It used to be that if you were dressing up, hose were ALWAYS worn. Just curious. To the OP, I am in my late 50s and still feel more comfortable with hose.:)

I guess I am of the "old school" too. Doesn't matter to me if people wear hose with strappy sandals or not. Just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. Personally I usually wear very sheer hose with my sandals. I'm just curious though about the new "rule" about no hose with sandals. Just when did this come about? It used to be that if you were dressing up, hose were ALWAYS worn. Just curious. To the OP, I am in my late 50s and still feel more comfortable with hose.:)

It's someone in the fashion industry who doesn't like to wear hose who suddenly decided that hose are now out of style. So, the younger women won't wear them. While I consider myself a very young 40-year-old, I still wear the hose. I buy the best ones I can find at Dillard's, which y'all are probably sick of hearing me mention that store. :D Actually, ever since these people decided that hose are out, it's very hard to find a really good pair. Victoria's Secret used to sell some amazing sheer hose. People couldn't even tell I was wearing any..they just made my legs look very smooth. But, just like everyone else, they've done away with hose in their stores and catalogs.

Just like the leggings last winter. What idiot designer decided that they were back in a big way? There was no way I was going to be caught dead in leggings. By next fall, they'll be a big fashion don't. That's why I kinda ignore some of the "rules". The same women who think hose are hideous with high-heel sandals are the same ones wearing the ugly leggings. :p ;) Just an example. What I don't understand is...if hose is out, why do they sell that spray-on hose to make your legs look smooth? Why not just wear hose? It's insanity.

I still say wear what you're comfortable with. There are times I won't wear hose, then there are times that I will. And no...I don't wear the reinforced toe....ever. Always sandal toe.

This debate could go on forever. Practically everyone feels differently about the hose situation. That's why I think you should wear what you want.

Everyone has there own opinion on this subject. I personally say dress in what ever makes you feel comfortable. Personally, I wear..yes! even with sandals, always a shear toe for me but would not think bad of anyone if they had reinforced toe. I feel it adds a "finished" look, plus the hubby loves it when I wear them.

Heather

Ultimately it's up to you and your comfort zones..No panty hose inspections conducted by the Maitre'd!! There is a faction though whose motto on this subject is: "No toes No hose."

Personally, I do not feel formally dressed with out slipping into a good pair of sheer sandalfoot hose and when I'm wear expensive, leather shoes I do not want to wear them with bare feet.:eek:

They now make toeless pantyhose you can wear with sandals. I got my at

kohls.:)

I checked out those toeless pantyhose. But I don't think they will work with really strappy sandals and the ones I did find weren't sheer enough. They'll work well with a peep-toe shoe or with sandals with a wide strap at the toe. But most of my dressy shoes have a lot of straps across the top of the foot. I'd rather just wear a sandal toe hose. ;) :)

There are a couple of reasons I never wear hose on a ship. It's one less thing to bring (yes, I know they don't take up much room), one less thing to put on and I really hate dealing with snags and runs. That has always happened to me even with better more expensive hose. I think my toenails are too close to the end of my toes. :) And I always seem to have a little something on a finger or nail that ends up pulling a snag.

I think my legs would look better in hose. But since I've never noticed if anyone else is wearing them, I figured no one is checking out whether or not I am wearing them, either.

Not to mention I find it a heck of a lot easier to use the rest room without them.

I grew up wearing them when dressing up but I do believe I've given them up for good. They make me feel hot, too.

Health-wise, panty hose are one of the most unhealthy articles of clothing ever invented! If I had to wear hosery, it would be the thigh-highs, but since I don't - I won't! My mother was horrified I wasn't wearing any hosery under my wedding gown, but she lived anyway. C'mon, it was 105 that day, and why would I make myself more uncomfortable in that heat?

My motto is "just say "no" to hose!"

I totally agree with Gordonchick. Panty hose are unhealthy. Especially for any woman who gets yeast infections. Doc says to avoid panty hose, tights, etc. Gotta let things breath! LOL

I never wear them anymore. :)

Yes, I would say that wearing pantyhose every day may cause a few problems down there (especially in hot weather) , but occasionally wearing them is harmless. To think otherwise is absurd.

I would think that if you don't wear panties under the hose, things should "breathe" nicely. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ideally you shouldn't wear pantyhose with open toe shoes, especially strapy ones (however, this winter there was a big trend to wearing opaque hoisery with peep toe pumps - but this shouldn't be attempted by anyone over 29). I seem to see a lot of people from the midwest doing the pantyhose and sandels thing (so it could be a regional style or trend). You don't see much of that in NYC (I think that Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda & Samantha would call it a fashion crime). However, there are lots of reasons to wear pantyhose - for support or smoothness in your overall look. If you want the control or you want to have your legs covered you can wear the toeless ones or the the ones that just come to the knee for upper thigh and tummy control. If you do wear full ones with open toe shoes, just go super sheer without the reinforced toe. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and helps your dress fit well. I get more mystified by the women over a certain age who try to wear prom dresses or pagent style dresses. Just because they fit doesn't mean they look good. Age appropriate, timeless classic cuts are the key. Buy a classic and wear it over and over. My all time favorite is a classic black sheath like the Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffanys dress. It works well for petites of all ages.

Once again thaks for the suggestions on the panty hose, I ended up buying a pair of open toed shoes and don't plan on wearing pantyhose with them. The shoes are pretty comfortable without pantyhose so I am not even bothering taking any. I ended up buying a long satin halter top red dress that fits me to the tee. I am not comfortable wearing shorter dresses since my legs are not my best features. But all in all I am pleased with my dress.

I don't think anyone will point and laugh if you wear hose with sandals, but personally I wouldn't do it. I hate wearing hose so my opinion is biased! I'm of the Caribbean cruise mindset and there's no way I'm wearing hose on a Caribbean cruise but it may be different on an Alaskan cruise.

If you do wear hose, stick with some cute slingbacks or pumps!

Kind of off topic, but it kills me to see the celebrities with their toes dangling way off of the ends of their sandals!

Archived